Last Updated: Jun 1 '03
TIF-Clean is a small batch utility that runs when Windows starts up and automatically cleans out junk left behind by Internet Explorer (IE). TIF-Clean is primarily intended to help users of Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP keep their PC's free of stray IE files which can clog PC's and potentially compromise users' privacy.
TIF-Clean is designed to be run from a Registry key that launches programs every time Windows starts. When it runs, TIF-Clean uses either the standard DOS utility DELTREE.EXE or a freeware "file shredder" called WIPE.EXE to purge the following Internet Explorer directories of all files (where %WINDIR% is the user's Windows directory and %USERNAME% is the user's personal store):
- %WINDIR%\Temporary Internet Files
Windows NT 4.0:
- %WINDIR%\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Temporary Internet Files
- Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
- Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Cookies
- Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\History
If you use WIPE.EXE (a copy of which is included with TIF-Clean), then Internet Explorer junk files will be securely overwritten.
There is an extensive ReadMe.txt included. Please take the time to read over (or at least peruse) this document before you dive in.
Although primarily designed for use on Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, TIF-Clean will work on all versions of Windows 9x (incl. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me) as well as Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
TIF-Clean will work with any version of Internet Explorer 3.0 or above (incl. 4.0x, 5.0x, 5.5, and 6.0).
Please note that this batch file cleans Internet Explorer junk only. It will have no effect whatsoever on Netscape Communicator.
TIF-Clean comes in two different versions:
- TIF-CLN-9X: uses PIF files, and is designed for use on Windows 95, 98, and Me boxes.
- TIF-CLN-NT: does not use PIF files, and is primarily designed for use on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, & Windows XP installations. TIF-CLN-NT does include files that can be used on Windows 9x/Me systems -- see the ReadMe.txt for more details.
Installation & Use:
Download one of the following files from the Download section below:
- TIF-CLN-9X.EXE and TIF-CLN-NT.EXE are self-extracting .ZIP files, which you can double-click on to extract the files inside (default dirs are C:\TIF-CLN-9X & C:\TIF-CLN-NT respectively).
- TIF-CLN-9X.ZIP and TIF-CLN-NT.ZIP require that you have an "zip/unzip" program like WinZip, 7-Zip, or PowerArchiver to extract the files.
You can either install TIF-Clean manually or use the INSTALL.BAT included with TIF-Clean to automate the setup process.
For information on installing and using TIF-Clean, consult ReadMe.txt. To view ReadMe.txt online, click HERE.
TIF-CLN-9X for Windows 95, 98, and Me
TIF-CLN-NT for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, & Windows XP
These files have been signed with with my 4096/1024 DH/DSS PGP key. You can get it and my other PGP keys HERE.
The PGP signature files are digital signatures that PGP users can use to verify the integrity and origin of the download packages. If you're not a PGP user, you don't have to download the PGP signature files (or my PGP public keys) in order to use the utilities that I make available. If you're interested in learning more about PGP, check some of the links on THIS page.
These programs are Please read this License & Disclaimer.
Last Updated: Jun 1 '03