Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

(Resolved) Sound is all messed up!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: (Resolved) Sound is all messed up!! Reply with quote

My sound is acting crazy! Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I use the sound control to change the volume, sometimes moving the knob UP makes it louder but other times UP makes it less loud.. It's very random!! Sometimes theres a little sound sometimes thers none. Sometimes sound only comes from 1 speaker. The speakers are fine and the wires are good. I plugged headphones into the back of the pc (in the speaker input) and its the same. I tried a restore and it didnt help. This has happened in the past and has usually fixed itself somehow but I really wanna figure out why it's doing this. Any help plz? Shocked
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the onboard sound on your mobo, or a separate sound card?
Check in device manager to see if it shows any errors.
What OS?

Have you updated the drivers?
Halflin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: crazy sound Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I'm using the original soundcard that came with th PC (compaq presario). The device manager doesn't show any errors or unknowns and the OS is Windows ME. I tried updating the driver from the device manager under the sounds branch but it looks to the hard disk and says there are no better drivers found. I'm not sure how to find them online and I wouldn't know what to look for. Under the driver details there where a few file names. Any suggestions?? Thanks again Rolling Eyes
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...
Take the card out, and look at what the labels say...it should have a detail either stamped onto it or on a label giving you a series of numbers and a name.
Then go to http://www.driverguide.com and d/l the best option for the card and your OS
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try one of these to see what sound card it is.
aida32
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download183.html
everest system info http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
sisoftsandra http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a=
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Halflin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: 1.21 jiggawats (a bolt of lightning) Reply with quote

Thanks a jiggillion fellerz Very Happy I appreciate it .. I'll give that a try and see what happens..
MadameX
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've got the best here at SpywareWarrior!

Wink

Deb
Halflin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok deep breath. Here we go.. The sound device called ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM). I went to to driverguide.com and downloaded the driver toolkit. I selected my sound driver and it searched for an updated driver on the site and there were no newer versions. I'm thinking I have the newest drivers but maybe they're just corrupt or something?? in the device manager I got the driver file details and this is how it looks Arrow

C:\Windows\options\cabs\es198x.sys
C:\Windows\system\VMM32.VXD (NTKERN.VXD)
C:\Windows\system\MMDEVLDR.VXD
C:\Windows\system\Drivers\Es198x.sys

I was gonna try to re-download these drivers and just replace the old ones with the new ones but so far I can't find them and I don't have a Re-installation disk other than system restore (no drivers on there) to get the drivers. What to do Question Exclamation

love always,
me
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESS Allegro PCI Audio es198x

You'd need to know precisely which model the card is. Aida32 or Belarc report will be able to get that infor for you, as Dave said, and I had another thought.
Go get the correct driver from here. Save it to C:\. There;s a couple of different drivers, according to card ID.
ES1988 Allegro driver ES1988_Me1167_Sign_568351.zip [more] Windows ME May 28, 2004
ES1989 Allegro/ ES1930 driver ES1989_Me1136.zip [more]
Maybe even more.

Shut down the machine, remove the card and reboot.
Shut down, replace the card and reinstall the existing drivers already on your machine. <<It's possible that you have a loose or dirty connection in the PCI slot.

If still no-go, install the new driver from C:\....click 'Have Disk' when prompted and point to the file in C:\
Halflin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: woohoo!! Reply with quote

Problem Solved!! I opened the case to find the sound card was built into the motherboard. Must be some kind of compaq mass production thing.. I used my Air can to blast away mounds of dust from the fan and everything else inside there. When I rebooted the sound was working again. Niiiiice Smile .. Newayz, I'm gonna keep that driver page just incase the beast comes back.. It was an ES1989S by the way (least thats what it says on the little chip attached the motherboard). Thank you guys!!! I really appreciate all your help -
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good!
I'll lock this Topic now.

If you found our help here worthwhile, and want to further the cause for others, and keep this site running Donate Here
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: