Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Norton Internet Security etc vs Hardware Firewall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stovnet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Norton Internet Security etc vs Hardware Firewall Reply with quote

Hi

If I have a hardware firewall (as I use a router with this built in) is it necessary to also use Norton or one of the other recommended brands as a software firewall?

Additionally what does a program like Norton (or the others like Kerio) do that an antispyware program like Giant or Spysweeper not do?

Regards
Stov
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hardware firewall is good but you also need a software firewall to stop unwanted outbound connections to the internet. For example, if you unwittingly download some spyware, malware or get hit with a trojan, the router would not prevent them from "phoning home", participating in a DOS attack, etc.

Antispyware progams do not monitor and protect you from unwanted inbound or outbound internet connections. A firewall does that.

Here's a site with detailed info about firewalls and why you need one:

http://www.firewallguide.com/index.html

Other people here will probably add to what I've said too.
Stovnet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Thankyou. Answers all my questions very succinctly.

Cheers
Stov
Stovnet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

I remembered my other related question. Is Norton Internet Security considered a good, bad or ho-hum product in the scheme of things?

I had a look at the link you suggested, but it seemed to depend which review I read. One said Trend Micro was the best, but also seemed to infer that Zonealarm Pro was a great product, but another said Norton was the go.

I guess this has been discussed ad nauseam, so forgive me if this is the case.

Cheers
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use zap but nortons fire wall will work just fine.
did not know microtrend made firewalls?
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stovnet,
What's best actually depends on several things.
Your operating system.
Your level of understanding of how/why a firewall works.
To a degree, what else is installed on your system.
The only Norton I've used was their Internet Security 2002. On an older OS like 98, it's way too hard on resources. On XP, this will be much less an issue.
Other operating systems like winME, can get very tempramental about what you use, for no obvious reason.
If you're comfortable with writing and editing firewall rules, then a rule based one is hard to beat. If you're not, one with automatic rule creation will generally suffice. Then as you learn how to write rules, you can edit them to tighten them up more and shut the automatic rule creation off.
As long as you stay with a good brand to start with, it's as much a matter of preferenceas anything else. There is a lot of over-hyped junk out there too, just like you find with anti-spyware programs.
Regarding ZA, it's going to depend on who you ask. Some swear by it, some swear at it. Last time I tried it, it kept losing the entire ruleset. Never figured out why. If I remember right, a lot of people had trouble with version 5 when it came out.
Rick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stovnet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and gals

Appreciate your help. I think I'll stick with dear 'ole Norton. Been using it for awhile now and generally seems not to give me too much grief.

I don't htink I'm ready for developing rule-sets just yet. Maybe when my next renewal runs out.

By the way, has anyone had trouble with Spysweepeer changing its subscription expiry date to some other date for no apparent reason? It has done it to me three times now - each one to a date before the correct expiry date - some well before - like 10 months. They were eventually corrected through Spysweeper's support - that was, until the next time it happened.

Never had this trouble before with any other subscription service.

Cheers again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: