Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

.fdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: .fdf Reply with quote

I've been trying to download some medical forms for a friend, which are of the .fdf type. Apparently, Acrobat reader 5.05 doesn't handle the format, and 6.0 won't run on win98 first edition. Is there another application that will open this format, preferably a free one?
Rick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DA455
Warrior Sleuth Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Are these by chance medical forms for billing insurance claims, i.e. Medicare / Blue Cross / Blue Shield?

As far as I know there is a specific application needed to dl these forms. A co-worker of mine who is attending college, (Medical Insurance Billing) encountered the same problem when she tried to dl the forms on her home computer which has XP. She ended up having to get the proper program from the school and what it is, I do not know, since I am involved in direct patient care and not billing issues.

If your friend is actually working out of her home and these are indeed billing forms you are trying to dl, the insurance company should provide the necessary software or assist you by remote. In fact, BC/BS had to directly access the computer in my office from their main office system and program it from their end.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're prescription assistance forms for those with low income and very high medical costs. She's had a bone marrow transplant, with "graft vs host" disease as a complication, which is basically organ rejection in reverse. The new bone marrow is rejecting parts of her own body, primarily her eyes and lungs. The whole situation is quite hard to believe, but she's losing medical assistance because of a small inheritance from the death of her mother. Her prescription costs are in the $25,000+ /year range.
She doesn't have internet service, not that her eyes would stand up to looking at a monitor for any length of time, so I've been doing the searching for her, collecting phone numbers, and printing out forms. That, and looking for less expensive sources for some of the anti-rejection meds.
The link I'm having trouble with is on this page, the " download PDF" link. Acrobat 5.05 crashes when I try to open that link. There are other links, but it's the same problem. It works fine on normal .pdf links, just not those.
Does this help?
Rick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

test post, so I cn get replies to this thread
Carry on DA455 Wink
DA455
Warrior Sleuth Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I was able to open the file on my Windows98 SE and I am looking at the form now.

However, I am told you need to rename the file and the best one to explain how to do this is is 3162.

He'll be with you shortly.
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting crashes trying to D/L that file, here is what you need to do:

When you get to the Download Applet and click Save, you will have to rename the file from .fdf to .pdf

Apparantly someone mis-typed the filename extension.

You will need to rename it as dpa.pdf before you attempt to download the file.
To do that, just highlight the name of the file in the white area where it says "File Name" and type in dpa.pdf

Then click 'save'

Now go and open that file.
You should be able to open it.

It's possible that you may get another Download message, so if that happens, agree to the download and save it as its own name, which will be app_optionb.pdf
You will now be able to open the app_optionb file.
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a no go. I've tried Mozilla and IE6, both of which open Acrobat, which crashes as the browser page redirects. Star Downloader reads the file as "redirector.aspx". Changing both the browsers and Star downloaders file to a .pdf extension changed nothing. Which version of Acrobat are you guys using? From what I've read at Adobe's site, 6.0 will work on 98SE but not on the first edition. This is getting to be annoying.
Rick
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just got wierd. I tried to open the "app_optionb.pdf" from the history file. Acrobat open, then crashed. Mozilla's page was blank. I clicked on "save page". It downloaded 72kb, far different than the 1kb I got when downloading it directly with Mozilla or the 12kb I got with Star Downloader. After I saved the page as "app_optionb.pdf", Acrobat opens it fine.
Figure this one out. Makes no sense to be, but at least I've got the form. Thanks.
Rick
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, glad it worked out for you.
DA455
Warrior Sleuth Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Herbalist,

I too, am glad you got the form and I wish all the best for your friend.

As for your question, on my 98SE OS, I used Acrobat 5.05 to open the form, and on my 2KPro OS, I used 6.0.

Thanks 3162, for stepping in to offer assistance....as always, appreciated.
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DA455,
It opened normally for you? Which browser did you use? Now I'm really wondering just what the deal is with mine. I'm going to have to play with this for a while and see just what makes that fail on mine. First time I've run into a link I can't access.
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: