Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

In the News: MSPs Cheer Anti-Spyware Bill...opinions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spyware/Adware in the News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadameX
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: In the News: MSPs Cheer Anti-Spyware Bill...opinions please Reply with quote

Since I'm unfamiliar with MSPs and what they actually do, I'd like to hear (see) what others think of what happened in CA:

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=30000371

Deb
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSP's are :

Quote:
A managed service provider (MSP) provides delivery and management of network-based services, applications, and equipment to enterprises, residences, or other service providers. Managed service providers can be hosting companies or access providers that offer services that can include fully outsourced network management arrangements, including advanced features like IP telephony, messaging and call center, virtual private network (VPNs), managed firewalls, and monitoring/reporting of network servers. Most of these services can be performed from outside a company's internal network with a special emphasis placed on integration and certification of Internet security for applications and content. MSPs serve as outsourcing agents for companies, especially other service providers like ISPs, that don't have the resources to constantly upgrade or maintain faster and faster computer networks

Since MSPs offer some of their services off site, they could be construed as being a third party monitoring your activity. If an ISP ha some free webspace offered to it's subscribers, the ISP could contract out the management of the webspace to a MSP. Why an MSP would have to put software on your local machine is unclear to me, but I guess they were afraid that their activity on the server side could perceived as a violation of the spyware law in some way.

I'm not too sure what this means for the bill, but it would seem it may have been watered down as a result.
MadameX
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick, that helps quite a bit.

I am also concerned that it was 'watered down a bit' as you said, and wonder what effects that may have in the future in other states.

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spyware/Adware in the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: