Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Privacy Tools 2004
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Privacy Tools 2004 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I just saw this one on Download.com.
Their website: http://www.privacytools2004.com

Rolling Eyes This must be a joke on my clean system, checked with Ad-aware, Spy Sweeper, Spybot & Spyware Doctor.

Evil or Very Mad Another one for the rogue list.
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does not look promising for this program. The home page of it has the look of being highly suspect and seems to follow the standard formula that the rogue ones follow. What is up with the girl getting videotaped at the top?

Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
Nick wrote:
Yes, it does not look promising for this program. The home page of it has the look of being highly suspect and seems to follow the standard formula that the rogue ones follow.
Rolling Eyes It's a pity that I couldn't save the log, because the keys it listed in the registry could do a lot of harm to your system when removed.
Quote:
What is up with the girl getting videotaped at the top?
Invasion of privacy? The same they are doing. Confused
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar:

Thanks for posting this. I'll be checking it out tonight.

Looks like a big update to the "Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware" page later tonight. I've tested 6 apps today. Is there any end to these things?

Best,

Eric L. Howes
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no eric theres no end to them at all. Evil or Very Mad
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eburger68 wrote:
Eldar:
Thanks for posting this. I'll be checking it out tonight.
You're most welcome. Wink
nomorespyware
Warrior Sleuth Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: ordering Reply with quote

The only way to order the product from their site is to go through ClickBank.com, which is in the IE-SPYAD restricted zone.

Somehow the name "clickbank" doesn't install a sense of security in me. Rolling Eyes

The site seems to be operating out of the UK.
Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Download.com censorship Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I posted a review at Download.com, although the rating was taken into account, it was however not posted. Crying or Very sad

Here's my original review:
Quote:
Crap - Stay away
Having checked my PC with Ad-aware, Spy Sweeper & Spybot S&D all was clean as usual.
Downloaded this program and after I did the update, I scanned my PC. It found 2 files and 534 registry keys which were identified as spyware. It even identified OutPost as spyware, which btw is total nonsense. Removing all this would certainly do irrepairable damage.

Twisted Evil Why are they protecting these scumbags? The authorities should do something about this.
nomorespyware
Warrior Sleuth Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Probably the language Reply with quote

They may not be protecting them, your post might have been omitted because of the word "crap". Try posting another review using the word "objectionable" or something.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my blog post here:

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000643.html

Rolling Eyes
ash1ey
Banned for violating forum policy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Well before I start can I just ask you try and reframe from flamming me to much Smile I see most of you already have so go easyÖ

I am the owner of the site and software Privacytools2004.com. Over the past few days I have been exchanging emails with Eric (eburger68). I wont go in to full details of whatís been said but I will try and summaries it and let you know what Iím doing with my software and where I currently am.

After reading Eric's review on this site and seeing other reviews similar, including the one at download.com (this may surprise you) I was actually shocked Shocked to see what I was reading.

Again although you may find hard to believe, I honestly did not know that the software produced false positives identifying files it shouldn't do as spyware. Although many people blame this on a bad database, it has only recently been brought to my attention that the problem actually lies on the software's scanning engine. Which is the same problem I should imagine all the Rogue/Suspect software I am categorized under on the site has.

All the Technical people on this forum will understand this better then most (FYI I donít do the programming of the software before you ask me any tech questions). The problem with the scanning engine was we were using the incorrect RSA MD5 algorithm for identifying files as spyware. So because we were using this wrong algorithm the software identifies files as spyware when they are actually not, which = False Positives.

Although I tested the software and had a few others test it, we (me and my programmers) are the new to the business and didn't realize the software was producing false positives. I have stopped selling the software until my new version has been tested and confirmed it is ok to continue selling. Eric and a few other sites all independent from myself will test the software before it is sold.

Quote:
From suzies blog:
Update on 8-20-04: Interesting enough, the PrivacyTools2004.com page is now redirected to http://x.cb.kount.com/pop/1093070100/ash1ey.spywarerem/1/1/2/6216394/? which has a link to this page: http://www2.palsol.com/spyrem_offer/index.html?hop=ash1ey (note the hop=ashley, which is the affiliate's Clickbank ID). The page is an ad for PAL Spyware Remover, another rogue.

As stated above I have stopped selling the software for the time being until I have it fully tested. I didnít remember seeing PAL spyware remover in your rogue list so I redirected to another application in the mean time. Yes it is an affiliate re-direct but Iím not in this for fun and making a living has to be ones priority. As I believe my new version will be ready by Sunday/Monday or the middle of next week at the latest in the mean time I will re-direct all my traffic to this site (currently about 700-800 unique visitors a day, not sure my affiliates will be too happy Wink ) I'll also spend the next few days emailing my customers to advise them of the problems in the software and to advise them to discontinue using it until the new version is ready.

Quote:
The only way to order the product from their site is to go through ClickBank.com, which is in the IE-SPYAD restricted zone.

Somehow the name "clickbank" doesn't install a sense of security in me.

The site seems to be operating out of the UK

Wow now thatís even better detective work. I do live in the UK. Can anyone explain to me what the IE-SPYAD restricted zone is? I tried looking it up but couldnít make sense of the info. Do you know of clickbank then or is it just a hunch feeling of yours?

Quote:
Why are they protecting these scumbags? The authorities should do something about this.

Whoís protecting me? WTF? Ever since I read the reviews about my software I have been as honest as I possibly can. I am on a mission, you can call me what you like now, but I assure you, over the next few years I am aiming to produce one of the best anti-spyware applications. I have a thing about proving people wrong when they doubt me so watch this space Wink

This is all a learning process for me, I had to start somewhere. Not a good start but you can only learn from your mistakes and move forward.

I also would like to this opportunity to apologies to Eric incase I have offended you in any way in my emails.

Thank you all for reading this. Feel free to ask any questions.

(FYI Ashley in this case is a boyís name)
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash1ey and thanks for posting here at the forum.

It was just brought to my attention that your site, www.privacytools2004.com is now redirecting to my forum, here:
http://spywarewarrior.com/

What's up with that??? Last night it was redirecting to the Clickbank affiliate link as I noted.

Also, in case you were't aware, www.privacytools2004.com had the RSS feed for my blog on the lower portion of the home page.

I'm not a coder, so I can't speak to the coding problems with your software. I did experience the same ridiculous false positives that the others here noted.

But if you wanted to produce a high quality product, it seems to me you surely went about the the wrong way. You would have spared yourself a lot of time, expense and embarassment if you had done it right the first time instead of licensing code that was already known to be questionable.

You said:
Quote:
Do you know of clickbank then or is it just a hunch feeling of yours?

Most everyone who has been around on the Net for a while knows of Clickbank and their shady affiliate marketing. Nearly every rogue applicaton on the list is marketed though Clickbank. They use URL redirects and other tricks to mask the identities of the affiliates and their affiliates use unethical advertising techniques. I could cite you dozens of examples. And just look at the list of products on Clickbank's site:

http://clickbank.com/marketplace/?r=xxxxx&c=web.new&s=1&i=10&t=ClickBank_Marketplace

Most of them look very sleazy in my opinion. If I were out to make and sell a quality product and create a good reputation, I would disassociate myself as much as possible from Clickbank.

Regards,

Suzi
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see absolutely no QC at all here. I see someone wanting to sell just another halfass anti-spy that doesn't work. You will never have a good product as long as the only reason your are here is to make money. A real bot killer is deved with passion...code alone will not suffice.

Quote:
At this point, I don't know if I want to monitor the dev of this product or just discard it as another shareware that doesn't meet standard.
Ref; http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=4805

Quote:
You guys might consider also that a whole industry is forming around both exploiting and then 'fixing' users...if you don't believe, just look at all the halfa$$ sharewares poping up and the 'rogue list'. Just consider the propaganda that prevails. Even peripheral ventures such as browser devs capitalize on the folks who don't realize the game. And the game will continue in the direction users are prodded because they generally don't care untill it's too late and that is the way much of the industry likes it.
JMO of course.
Ref; http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=4557

Quote:
Yes it is an affiliate re-direct but Iím not in this for fun and making a living has to be ones priority.

Why don't you tell us something of your goals?...or is your only goal to sell worthless wares to unsuspecting users? What makes you any diff from all the dozens of other crap peddlers that are poping up all over the place? Obviously you nor your dev team have any experience in the anti-malware industry and it is terribly obvious that you have no real testing protocols in place. I personally vote to leave you as a rouge unless you can explain why I or anyone should think this anything but another scam.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was just brought to my attention that your site, www.privacytools2004.com is now redirecting to my forum, here:
http://spywarewarrior.com/

What's up with that???

As i explained in my post, I have stopped selling the software and instead of re-directing my traffic to an another application i would direct it all to your forum until my new software is ready to sell. Doesnt appear to be appreciated so i'll get it changed a.s.a.p

I couldnt really care what people think about clickbank. Shady techniques and redirects as you call them is just the way affiliate system works, man you people cant even have a little cookie on your PC with an affiliates name in without stressing about it. Rolling Eyes I will actually continue to sell through clickbank, I have never heard of them ever being shady and they are actually very popular.

I have tried to be reasonable but you people wont even give me a chance. WTF is the point?

To put it simply, i couldnt give a sh1t what you think. You can call me what you like but if you want to start name calling then I could happly make a few for you mikey. Why should i waste my time answering your questions when you dont even give me a chance? Yes i am in this for the money, who tries to start a business for fun? Do you think the people who own Lavasoft couldnt care how much money they make?

Anyway, best of luck with all your efforts everyone. From where i'm standing your efforts appear to do very little in stopping people from selling the rogue software you name on this site. I seriously do hope you get anti-spyware companies selling rogue software closed down as it is less competition for me in the industry then.

I WILL HAVE A DECENT SPYWARE REMOVAL AVAILABLE FOR SALE VERY SOON WETHER YOU BELEIVE IT OR NOT IS YOUR CHOICE.
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what my opinion is worth, I appreciate your honesty.

However, we in the malware removal field (we, in the trenches) have to deal with all kinds of bull.
"WE" are the ones who have to contend with f/p's, stay on top of the latest varients and how to fix them.
Stay on top of the updates and stay on top of the other crapware that is provended to the general public.

I would suggest to you, that you load up half a dozen boxes with clean OS's (start with XP. When you master that, then run Win98), and then go out and let those boxes get infected.
*then* figure out how to clean them
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3162 wrote:
For what my opinion is worth, I appreciate your honesty.

However, we in the malware removal field (we, in the trenches) have to deal with all kinds of bull.
"WE" are the ones who have to contend with f/p's, stay on top of the latest varients and how to fix them.
Stay on top of the updates and stay on top of the other crapware that is provended to the general public.

I would suggest to you, that you load up half a dozen boxes with clean OS's (start with XP. When you master that, then run Win98), and then go out and let those boxes get infected.
*then* figure out how to clean them

Thanks for your post mate.

I can assure you i will be getting my new software fully tested on many machines before it goes out for sale. I'm even happy to let people from this forum test the beta version so i can hear your opinions and hear the results you got.

The updates for my definitions will not be to much of a problem. Updates will be made every month and i have a team of people researching as we speak. This site and many other sites have become very important to us. If anybody is actually looking for a little part time work and could be of use to me then let me know, i'll pay you well for your knowledge.

Anyway, got to go. Time for Sunday lunch.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
The home page of it has the look of being highly suspect and seems to follow the standard formula that the rogue ones follow. What is up with the girl getting videotaped at the top?

As you appear to be hot on web design and layout, maybe you can explain to me what the standard formula that rogue ones follow and why you feel mine is the same?

Thanks
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Nick wrote:
The home page of it has the look of being highly suspect and seems to follow the standard formula that the rogue ones follow. What is up with the girl getting videotaped at the top?

As you appear to be hot on web design and layout, maybe you can explain to me what the standard formula that rogue ones follow and why you feel mine is the same?

Thanks

Well, as I click on your link this morning, I have to bypass two content filters(AdShield & Hosts) just so I can see your clickbank ad for another scam...PAL. Since you are aware that the product is a scam, I must assume that your intentions are still to defraud your users. As long as you can sell some garbage, nothing else matters...right?
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you pay your helpers via Clickbank too?
Mr. Green
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey the post you qoute was made for someone else, do you always but in and speak for other people? If you would have bothered to read the other posts you would understand the situation with the redirect. Sry but i'm not wasting my time speaking to you anymore so dont bother posting any questions Laughing

3162, of course my affiliates who re-sell the software get paid through clickbank Razz Anybody else who does work for me gets paid good old cash Wink

In the next few hours i should be able to post a link for my latest beta version. If anybody wants to download and let me know what you think and what the scan produces then i'm happy to listen to your comments.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone thats interested in taking a look

http://www.privacytools2004.com/beta/Install.zip

NOTE: This is beta and is not yet completely finished (i.e. testing still needs to be done). Dont flame me if you see something bad, just let me know so i can get it sorted. DONT use the update feature on the software as we have not yet loaded an update to our server.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know; I reserve the right to respond to ANY comment here. Perhaps you forgot; this is a PUBLIC message board.

Quote:
If you would have bothered to read the other posts you would understand the situation with the redirect.

As for this; the only explanation I've seen is that you will sell any kind of scam for a profit.

For any users here who found yourselves not protected against the sleazy advert at PCTools, I believe you will find that almost all(if not all) the blocklists will deal with it; https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/soft8a.htm
NetWidow
Insane Emoticon Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
If I were out to make and sell a quality product and create a good reputation, I would disassociate myself as much as possible from Clickbank.

Regards,

Suzi

ash1ey wrote:
I couldnt really care what people think about clickbank. ... I will actually continue to sell through clickbank, ...

If this is the kind of response that can be expected from you by those who do offer to help then what's the point. At first I agreed with 3162 in appreciation of your honesty and willingness to work with the community. However that is not what you're doing here. As far as answering questions, mikey's or anyone else's, I haven't noticed many answers. It appears that mostly you try to redirect. JMO
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just so you know; I reserve the right to respond to ANY comment here. Perhaps you forgot; this is a PUBLIC message board.

Sure thing but again your not reading what is being said, I was just simply saying that i wouldnt bother to answer any of your questions. I'm trying to be honest with you people but some of you dont appear to want to even give me chance. How many of the Rogue spyware removal products you name on this site bother to come and make posts in your forum? How many of them come public and say "yes we have a problem and we are sorting it out"? How many of them have discontinued selling the software intil all there problems have been fixed?

Quote:
As for this; the only explanation I've seen is that you will sell any kind of scam for a profit.

Sorry but after the reponse I got from you last night Shame on you , i though "WTF is the point in trying to work and help these ppl when they wont even give you a chance?" Until you made that post i was re-directing all the traffic to this site until my software was sorted.

You keep saying that i'm only in this for the money, but if you would understand the business point of view, you'd see where i'm coming from. There is a big market here and a lot people need help and need a service (and at the end of the day I feel I will always be able to reach more people in need of help then most of you or your websites, therefore i will always be able to help more ppl out). When you have the free tools like SpyBot you also have a big community of ppl who are willing to volunteer and help out. Because of this money doesnt need to be made as obviously volunteers work for free. I would imagine the owners also receive donations which would probably cover other fees such as hosting.

What i'm basically trying to day, is YES I am here from a business point of view (what you would call 'in it for the money'). When your in business your number one priority is your customers and the service you provide them. Making a profit is also very important but that wont happen until your get those other prioritys right. Why else would i be here speaking to you people going public? You know when i get paid from the money I make off selling my software all i do is live off the money need to and the rest go's back into developing the software and ensuring I am providing my customers the best possible service I can. Over the next few weeks I'm considering to a write a business plan and attempt to take out a business loan (a business plan is needed here in the UK to gain a loan). I will employ programmers and probably even a small research team full time and i will only employ those with proven experience in anit-spyware applications.

I really dont understand your problem with me being in the market just for the business. From a consumers point of view you should be happy someone else is actually trying to make an effort and working with you.

NetWidow, the reason i will continue to sell though clickbank is because I see no problem with them. All they do is place a cookie will an affiliates ID (which doesnt even happen most of the time as 99% of my sales I make myself). ANY site you go to via an affiliates link will place a cookie on your system.

Quote:
At first I agreed with 3162 in appreciation of your honesty and willingness to work with the community. However that is not what you're doing here. As far as answering questions, mikey's or anyone else's, I haven't noticed many answers. It appears that mostly you try to redirect.

Well if you feel I am not answering properly or havent answered any questions let me know and i'll answer them. I cant read minds so if your not sure on something i've said, just ask me to explain and i'll be happy too.

Big Thumb Up
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said thousands of times that I do not have an issue with sharewares per se. Aside from disappointment, I would have no issue with PMK going shareware. I believe coders should be able to make a living.

What I have a prob with is folks taking advantage of users who have been exploited by selling substandard (at best) wares with unsubstantiated and untrue claims of performance. Sound familiar? Again I ask you, what do you intend to bring the world with your wares? What are your goals? What makes your product or idea worth paying for? What exactly do you bring us? What features make you or your product stand out and worth any investment? Even if you fix your ethics and are without any bugs and have all the proper definitions, isn't it just another plain scanner just like all the other 'halfa$$ sharewares around now'?
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley, I'm having a prob with your beta. Perhaps you can help.

First, I don't seem to be able to find any logs or backups. What kind of bot killer is that?

Second, when I run a full scan or drive/folder scan, I get no F/Ps now. However, I get no detections at all. It completely missed my malware archive. I proceeded to load an old well known nasty; WebHancer. Again the scan comes up empty.

Database.dat is virtually empty other than;

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /update/Reference.dat was not found on this server.<P>
<P>Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
</BODY></HTML>

Third, there doesn't seem to be a connection to any update server.

+++GET 4748+++
GET /update/Reference.dat HTTP/1.0
User-Agent: Privacy Tools 2004
Host: www.privacytools2004.com
Pragma: no-cache
Connection: keep-alive
Browser reload detected...

+++RESP 4748+++
HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:00:10 GMT
Server: Apache
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
+++CLOSE 4748+++

This is just first glance but who's signature db will you be using?
ash1ey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey, sorry but you dont even bother to read my post properly and your not making much sense Laughing

Read my comments carefully before posting. I aint going to waste my time typing when its not being read correctly.

Quote:
First, I don't seem to be able to find any logs or backups. What kind of bot killer is that?

They are there, again you not looking properly. We couldnt have made them more clear.
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley:

I've tested your new beta of Privacy Tools 2004. Unfortunately, I ran into the same horrendous false positives as with the earlier versions.

First, four screenshots of the scan results, starting with the scan summary (click links to view screenshots):

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/pics_pub/pt-beta-6a.jpg
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/pics_pub/pt-beta-6b.jpg
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/pics_pub/pt-beta-6c.jpg
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/pics_pub/pt-beta-6d.jpg

A couple of observations:

1) The beta identified completely innocent files for the following applications as "spyware" or "malware" of some sort:

* Advanced Replacer
* Sam Spade
* NeoTrace
* SpywareBlaster
* Spyware Doctor
* UPX

These detections are a mixed bag. In some cases the beta correctly identified the program (e.g., Sam Spade), but provided no good reason why that app should be flagged as malware. In other cases, the beta completely misidentified the app, as when it flagged a plain text license file for UPX as part of "AGM65's FileCD Key Harvester 0.1."

2) The beta identified a number of completely innocent Registry keys as malware-related in some way, including keys for:

* AdShield
* SpywareGuard
* Internet Explorer (Radio Bar)
* FlashGet
* Neotrace

All of these Registry keys are completely innocent -- even the FlashGet keys, which are from the "for-pay"/non-adware version of FlashGet.

3) The beta identified several Registry keys as "Suspicious ActiveX control," without bothering to explain why those ActiveX controls would be "suspicious."

4) The beta identified hundreds of "ActiveX Compatibility" keys as malware related. In fact, those keys (and the associated DWORD:00000400 values) were set by either SpywareBlaster or Spybot S&D to block the installation of known spyware-related ActiveX controls. This method of setting the kill-bit against ActiveX controls is a well-known means for protecting users from spyware installations through Internet Explorer, and has been in use for several years now in the anti-spyware scene.

5) The beta performed very poorly in identifying actual spyware files. I happened to have a directory on my E-drive that houses dozens upon dozens of spyware installers and other spyware-related files. PT2004 identified only one installer -- SaveInstWm.exe, a SaveNow installer. The rest went completely unremarked by PT2004.

I understand this is a beta, but more work seems to have been put into making the interface look slick than in actually fixing the underlying problems with the detections. Indeed, this new version of Privacy Tools 2004 looks to be just another clone of the new version of ADS Adware Remover (from the same family of applications) that was released just recently:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/pics_pub/ads3-5a.jpg

Even the license files are identical.

I don't know when you planned to release this new version, but you've got a long way to go before you have a usable anti-spyware utility.

One final bit of advice. Given that you've been batting 0 percent for the past month or so -- all the while selling a spyware utility you should have known was junk to unsuspecting victims (and having even admitted to not doing proper QC) -- and given that you've been been telling me and anyone else who will listen that you've got your independent developers fixing all the problems with your software in this new version, and given that these extraordinary claims seem not to be true at all, I would suggest that you adjust your attitude when addressing the other members of Spyware Warrior in this thread. These are the people who actually have some knowledge about spyware (knowledge which your developers seem to be sorely lacking) and who have been using that knowledge to help spyware victims remove unwanted malware from their systems day in and day out.

While you've been bragging to the world about your worthless, broken anti-spyware utility and selling it to unsuspecting users, condescending to the volunteers here at Spyware Warrior and refusing to answer their perfectly legitimate questions, as well as threatening me and Spyware Warrior with frivolous lawsuits, these volunteers have actually been doing the thankless job of providing real help to real victims, and all for free. That's a hell of a lot more than you can claim.

Until you get your own house in order, you have no business whatsoever bad-mouthing the volunteers here at Spyware Warrior or giving them an attitude.

Eric L. Howes
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, I was a little confused when I read your post this morning untill I realized that Ashley uploaded new files since I DLed yesterday morning.

Anyway, I got the same massive amount of F/Ps on a clean box;

http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/images/PTools2.gif

http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/reports/PTools.txt

And when using the same test for WebHancer. It did detect SOME items. If using the tool to 'fix', it will break the LSP chain renderring any user crippled and without any connection to the net. Fortunately for me, I am very familiar with the enumeration of the LSP pointers and could repair the prob.

The scan with WH present;

http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/images/PTools3wh.gif

http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/reports/PToolsWH.txt

Still misses my entire archive including the WH installer used to load files for the test.

Still can't check out the backups...can't find any.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Eric, I was a little confused when I read your post this morning untill I realized that Ashley uploaded new files since I DLed yesterday morning.

No sry they are the same files, no files have been changed. What makes you think i changed the files?

I'll respond to your comments soon. Havent got the time at the minute.
TheProphet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion around here...

I wonder how the Privacy Tools 2004 looks similar to ADS Remover.. not even the interface looks the same. And if you are referring to the functionality, well... look again.

In the latest beta of the Privacy Tools, the "suspicious activex controls" are gone. I guess Ashley didn't upload that yet. Besides that, it is the fault of the people that actually sell spyware databases (at least that's what they call them) without documenting them the proper way first. Programmers can't do much if they don't have the proper resources to work with.

There isn't a 100% effective anti-spyware program. There isn't a 100% effective anti-adware program. The heck, there isn't even a 100% effective popup blocker! Why are we searching for a needle in the hay stack?!?

--> "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." <-- (Voltaire)
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I was just wondering; would it be good to include in your rogue notes when certain sets of definitions are extremely hazardous if used.
Just the F/Ps alone would likely severely cripple any unsuspecting user.
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheProphet:

You wrote:

TheProphet wrote:
I wonder how the Privacy Tools 2004 looks similar to ADS Remover.. not even the interface looks the same. And if you are referring to the functionality, well... look again.

I am looking again, and I notice that ADS Adware Remover and Privacy Tools 2004 share a number of common buttons and other GUI elements. There are some differences, but they look to be closely related to me.

TheProphet wrote:
In the latest beta of the Privacy Tools, the "suspicious activex controls" are gone. I guess Ashley didn't upload that yet.

If you're an employee of Ashley's or enjoy some other close relationship (consultant, partner, et al), you really ought to identify just who you are and what that relationship is.

TheProphet wrote:
Besides that, it is the fault of the people that actually sell spyware databases (at least that's what they call them) without documenting them the proper way first. Programmers can't do much if they don't have the proper resources to work with.

No, sorry. It's the fault of the company who releases, markets, and sells the anti-spyware tool. All the best anti-spyware companies do their own development and research in house. They don't buy databases of questionable provenance and quality from third-parties. If Privacy Tools 2004 is not in control of the research that goes into the database used in the application (and that is what you seem to be suggesting), then the company's product cannot be trusted.

TheProphet wrote:
There isn't a 100% effective anti-spyware program. There isn't a 100% effective anti-adware program. The heck, there isn't even a 100% effective popup blocker! Why are we searching for a needle in the hay stack?!?

And that's a lame excuse for the extraordinarily poor performance of PT2004 reported here -- a strawman argument that serves no purpose other than to distract. No one here argued that an anti-spyware program had to be 100 percent effective or accurate. We do insist, however, that anti-spyware programs not generate hundreds of false positives at a crack and that they detect at least a fair amount of the malware on a user's hard drive. In the tests reported here, Privacy Tools 2004 failed miserably on all fronts.

Eric L. Howes

Last edited by eburger68 on Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ash1ey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking around to buy another database, if a decent ones come then i'll implement into my software. I'm still going to continue distributing anti spyware removal programs. As soon as i have the F/P's fixed in my application it will be sold. And you cant really do nothing about it. All your bitchin and it comes to nothing.

And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck. I'm trying to work with you but you couldnt give a sh1t. So why try and work with the anti-spyware community when there only against you? You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too Wink To be honest theres probably more money in this then the actual spyware removal.

I've always been treated as your enemy so soon i will be.

Some of you need to get a day job too. There are more important things in this world that need your help. And you want to fight spyware? LOL

Listen, I'm 22 years old and making more money then most of you old enough to be my parents. We all need to make living. Just like the ppl at Gator and all the spyware companies. We all need to make money Smile As long as my money making ways continue to be legal, i'll continue to do them. Including the distribution of spyware for the means of selling advertising Wink

Good day to you all Twisted Evil
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as my money making ways continue to be legal, i'll continue to do them.

You know, most of the world used to deal with folks like you by putting you in prison. Whatever happened to that concept? Smile

While I'm rarely in favor of regulatory actions when it comes to the net...there has to be an end to the criminal activities. As far as I know, most preople still consider the theft of users money, time, and resources a crime.

Quote:
Listen, I'm 22 years old and making more money then most of you old enough to be my parents.

I wonder how your parents would feel to know you grew up without any ethics.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Listen, I'm 22 years old and making more money then most of you old enough to be my parents. We all need to make living. Just like the ppl at Gator and all the spyware companies. We all need to make money As long as my money making ways continue to be legal, i'll continue to do them. Including the distribution of spyware for the means of selling advertising

What ever happened to making an honest living? A life full of deception and lies is doomed to eventual failure. You are accruing a lot of "bad karma" and sooner or later it will catch up with you. I suppose being involved in online gambling casino sites fits right in with your lack morals and ethics too. Rolling Eyes

Your public display of bad behaviour is absolutely appalling.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What ever happened to making an honest living?

Well i'm being honest and making a living at the same time. So its all good Very Happy When i install 'spyware' or 'adware' on ppls comps i will ensure they know whats happening by placing it in the EULA of the software.

Quote:
A life full of deception and lies is doomed to eventual failure. You are accruing a lot of "bad karma" and sooner or later it will catch up with you.

I dont lie or deceive people so again its all good. I have no worries. I want success in my life and i wont stop until i do. So far so good. 6 months ago i aimed to quit my job so i could work from home, done that np. If I want something, I'll get it (or work as hard as i can until i do get it).

Quote:
I suppose being involved in online gambling casino sites fits right in with your lack morals and ethics too.

Whats up with online gambling? Is it not legal? This is just your personal opinion and until they change the laws to fit your likes and dislikes then i'm afraid it will be around for awhile.

Quote:
Your public display of bad behaviour is absolutely appalling.

What are you my mom now? I see no bad behaviour here.

Suzi i came to your forum open and honest and telling you all what was happening with my software. I wanted to make it work and try and sell a decent product. You ppl wouldnt even give me a chance so theres no point in even trying anymore.

Quote:
You know, most of the world used to deal with folks like you by putting you in prison. Whatever happened to that concept?

That concept didnt ever exist. What do you mean folks like me? Someone trying to make a living? Never heard of anyone being jailed for someone trying to make a living Very Happy

Quote:
While I'm rarely in favor of regulatory actions when it comes to the net...there has to be an end to the criminal activities. As far as I know, most preople still consider the theft of users money, time, and resources a crime.

Well you've been wasting my time it seems. Are you gonna get jailed for that? Dont try and scare me with all this talk. I know i have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
I wonder how your parents would feel to know you grew up without any ethics.

I did grow up with ethics thanks. Just ones that you dont seem to agree with. They are actually very proud of me, I'm registered as self employed and my own boss.

At the end of the day i've said all i need to say.

Whats happening with PT2004? Well were still workin on the F/P's, nearly got them sussed. As soon as there sorted my software will go back on the market. It will also probably be re-named and re-designed.

Best of luck to you all.
TeMerc
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As soon as there sorted my software will go back on the market. It will also probably be re-named and re-designed.

Gee, I wonder whay that is? Certainly couldn't be because your so proud of this program could it? What possible reason could you have for changing the name other than trying to fool the people such as the ones here, who can tell your product is an absolute scam. Well, guess what hon, it won't work, the people here are smarter than you will ever be. They keep records of all the things they test, how do you think they know when someone rips off or buys a definitions data base?

I can't wait for your next app, so you can come back and try to defend that one too. And no doubt, you will change your log in name, because your so proud oif yourself, right?

And why don't you send this thread link to your mom and dad, and see just how proud they will be after that?

Any decent parents would be appalled by such a child who looks to rip off unsuspecting people. Unlkess your dad is Walt Rines of course.

And I can imaghine what you EULA will look like, more than likely full of holes disparities and trick phrases.

As usual, I will sit and read chuckling as you continue to try and justify yourself and your apps. Its always good to see dishonets people exposed.

Ultimate Countermeasures Page
Calendar Of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
ash1ey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gee, I wonder whay that is? Certainly couldn't be because your so proud of this program could it? What possible reason could you have for changing the name other than trying to fool the people such as the ones here, who can tell your product is an absolute scam.

Too right i'm proud of my program, alot of hard work and money has gone into it.The reason for changing the name? I'm sure you know is actually a business thing, i dont care about your testers here. I'll send them a copy to test anytime.

Quote:
Well, guess what hon, it won't work, the people here are smarter than you will ever be. They keep records of all the things they test, how do you think they know when someone rips off or buys a definitions data base?

Hon? WTF u on? I'm male so you must be gay or a female. Yes the people here are smarter then me... But I am employing ppl even smarter then them. Ppl who can write UNDETECTABLE spyware.

Quote:
I can't wait for your next app, so you can come back and try to defend that one too. And no doubt, you will change your log in name, because your so proud oif yourself, right?

Nope wrong. Why would i waste my time? I keep saying i dont care what you ppl think anymore. As long as my actions are legal I will continue to do them.

Quote:
Any decent parents would be appalled by such a child who looks to rip off unsuspecting people.

I aint ripped no one off so stfu. If u think i've ripped someone off why dont u prove it and do something about? You know why? Cus u cant prove nothing cus i aint done nothing wrong Smile

Quote:
And I can imaghine what you EULA will look like, more than likely full of holes disparities and trick phrases.

My EULA will be written in plain english, clearly explaining to the user what is involved when installing my software.

Quote:
As usual, I will sit and read chuckling as you continue to try and justify yourself and your apps. Its always good to see dishonets people exposed.

Nope, as i said, when my software is re-branded i wont waste no more time here. When i have i been dishonest u fool? Answer me that question?
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ashley - let me get something straight here. You think there's nothing wrong with tricking people into thinking there is spyware on their computers in order to sell them your product? That's exactly what happens when it produces false positives. Your unsuspecting victims are frightened and upset when they see all of the false positives and think they have to buy the program.

If you think that's ethical and honest, then you grew up in a different universe than I did and different from everyone else in this group. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: