Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Questions about Installing & Running IE-SPYAD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Questions about Installing & Running IE-SPYAD Reply with quote

Hi,

I have downloaded IE-SPYAD.zip and unzipped it. I then went to the folder and clicked IE-ADS.reg to install it to the registry. I then opened the IE-SPYAD Install/Uninstall Utility and selected [2] to install the list, and then [2] to confirm the installation. The "Success" window subsequently appeared and I apparently have installed IE-SPYAD. I hit "any key" at this point and then [2] to Exit.

My questions are: How do I go about running it? Is there some sort of Control Panel that I can access from my Desktop? Does IE-SPYAD simply run in the background and require no interaction from me? Is there a tutorial for using it?

Thanks in advance! Cool
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats it its running. only need to check for an update when they come out. you can find out in update forum here.
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My questions are: How do I go about running it? Is there some sort of Control Panel that I can access from my Desktop? Does IE-SPYAD simply run in the background and require no interaction from me? Is there a tutorial for using it?

IE-SPYAD, when installed, places a list of known dangerous domains in the restricted zone of Internet Explorer. That's all it does. It does not need to run. Once the restricted domains are in the list, you are protected from active x, scripting, etc. if you visit those sites.

In order to make IE-SPYAD really effective, you need to configure the settings for the restricted zones in Internet Explorer properly.
The easy way is to set the security level to "high" in the restricted zone.

Here is an illustrated tutorial that might be helpful.

http://www.nwnetworks.com/iezones.htm

Eric Howes will probably add to this information since he is the creator of IE-SPYAD.
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
Here is an illustrated tutorial that might be helpful.

http://www.nwnetworks.com/iezones.htm

Eric Howes will probably add to this information since he is the creator of IE-SPYAD.

Hi Suzi,

I think that I located the "proper" forum for my question this time. I have read through the NWNetworks tutorial and it is indeed very informative. I did notice, however, that most of the references (if not all) were to IE 5 instead of 6. I also noticed that the copyright was 2001. This probably makes little difference but I wonder if much has changed in the Security tab of Internet Properties between IE 5 & 6?

Another item I noted was the Java section of the tutorial: It reads, in part: "If you choose a Custom setting for Java permissions, a new button called Java Custom Settings will appear." I am not able to find a Custom setting for Java permissions. The only thing that I can find is Scripting>Scripting of Java applets which gives me a choice of Enable, Disable or Prompt. For the Internet and Intranet, if I make the settings High are Java applets disabled?

- from the film "Stardust Memories"

Last edited by Harry Letterman on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry:

Sorry I wasn't able to get to this thread earlier (I've just been dealing with an adware vendor who wants his company's domains removed from IE-SPYAD, if you can believe it).

The information that Suzi and others have given you about IE-SPYAD is right on the money. I would encourage you to take a look at the ReadMe included with IE-SPYAD, as it's quite extensive and answers most of the questions that you might have.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

I want to start by saying Thank You again, not just to you but to everyone who has taken the time to walk me through all of this. Just so you know, IMO there is no immediate rush for me to get an answer - when you get around to it is fine. I feel that I can trust your integrity and goodwill enough to know that you will get around to answering my newbie questions as time permits.

Now, as for changing the Security settings to High: Quite a few functions of my web-based Yahoo! Mail account require Java scripts to be running so that could be an issue for me. For now, I have changed the Security settings to Medium. For Y! Mail I know what I should do: GET OFF MY BUTT and start using YPOPs! together with Outlook 2003 and stop depending on the web-based Yahoo! Mail that I am so accustomed to. That's another issue entirely but I am somewhat concerned about not being able to run any Java scripts at all when the Security settings are at High. Am I being too paranoid here?

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: