Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Firefox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Firefox Reply with quote

Hi,

Just loaded Mozilla Firefox and am giving it a test drive. Before I comment on it I will test it fairly well first. I do want to ask others that have tried it or use it what their opinion is.

It seems that I have used IE for ever Rolling Eyes I do recall using Netscape for a short time. Cool The last time I used it it's bookmarks had just changed from manageable to unruly. So, anyone that has used Netscape for a Loooong time knows Very Happy

OK, I am going to make one quick observation in hopes a Firefox expert will make a comment. That is it runs noticeably slower. IE is still the default browser is that why?

With our Lords blessings,

Doug
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i have both mozzila and fire fox.
one trick i did not know till recently was when you copy and paste a ulr in them you must hit enter key to make it go there. no go button like ie.
and no spell checking!

Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wawaDave,

Well that is a . . . small, but still irritating bummer. Security wise does it make up for it?

With our Lord's blessings,

Doug
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to more suited forum.

I use Firefox and it is so much faster than IE, but it relies heavily on the cache to do so. I'm not sure why it is slower. Did you get a nightly build or an older version? Current is Firefox 0.8. Download from here http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

It should make no difference if it is the default browser or not. Maybe it was a corrupt install? When you say slow, is it slow to open pages online or slow for the program, like opening and exicuting options?
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICK! Your gonna get me lost. What forum did you move it too? Confused

The about say's 0.8, but the download said 0.9r. To example Suzi's smilies on the left of the post (remember I am on a 26.4k dialup) take a noticed 3 times longer to load. As, do all the menus.

Doug
Cruzin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have dialup at work and when I used firefox i thought it war faster? Oh by the way if any one at work uses anything other than firefox i give them a severe thrashing. I am to busy to clean up computer problems and we have one person who tends to point and click without thinking (president). I believe firefox has saved me tons of time.

I reccomend firefox to all my friends and family who have no interest in tweaking or how computers and the internet work.
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, some pages may load slower in Firefox now because the Internet cache for it is empty while the cache for IE already has the smilies and other images saved. After you surf around the site for awhile, it should get better once images have been put in Firefox's cache.
linc
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and any one else out there using Firefox try this,
http://www.softpedia.com/public/scripts/do...dhero/12-3-112/
a Mozzilla optimiser.

URL=http://img74.echo.cx/my.php?image=installdisk3nr.jpg][/URL]
Mystique

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawadave wrote:
hello
one trick i did not know till recently was when you copy and paste a ulr in them you must hit enter key to make it go there. no go button like ie.
and no spell checking!

Whilst there is no brilliant solution for the spell checker on firefox which could compare to IEspell there is however an easy fix to your issue with the go button missing.

In order to add a go button next to the url string field just click on the view menu > Toolbars then hit customize you should see a small screen appear which is where you will find a go button, darg that button where you would like it to be preferably next to the url string field.

Firefox is brilliant and its ability to be customised is amazing given there are loads of plugin extensions i'm sure anyone could configure this browser to their liking.

Last edited by Mystique on Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
robin-hood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawadave wrote:
hello
and no spell checking!

You will find that if you look in the options, there is a link to extensions where you can get an extension that you just copy the url right click on the address bar paste and go with no clicking at all.
Also if you right click on the top toolbar and click customise a screen with extra buttons on will open, on there is a go button history button etc all you have to do is drag it from the screen and drop it on the toolbar, also you can drag buttons from the toobar and put them away in the dropdown screen if you don't want them
So there are lots and lots of customisations available on Firefox.
Look on the extensions page of firefox there are a lot of addons for the same price as the browser!!
Also on the new Firefox 9 there is spellcheck with different languages available

PS did I say that I love Firefox, best bit is no more IE6 Holes
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye thx for the info i,m going to get ff9 now!
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Iíve been having some interesting experiences using Firefox. When I first installed Firefox, not as my default browser, but as a second browser I noticed a slight slowdown when using Firefox. Then I made it my default browser and unchecked the box in IE box for it to check that if it is the default browser. That caused my system some consternation. The displays flashed off and on back and forth for a few moments. After that seems seemed OK except now I experience a periodic slowdown with everything. As an example I am using word to type this post it has paused for nearly a half sentence twice now as typing then suddenly catching up. It acts like a CWS.Bootconf infection, yet nothing turns up in HijackThis. I am left with a feeling of ďThe Empire Strikes back.Ē OK, make that 3 times now. Ah, interesting that I just received an email notice. Related?

Not asking you to help there are too many HijackThis logs that have dropped off the radar. However, if you do have any experience with this I would appreciate your comments. My thoughts are to recheck that IE check box and give it time to see if that makes a difference. I will back out from there.

Windows 2000 Server, Firefox 0.9.1 (that was 4.)

With our Lordís blessings,

Doug
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an example I am using word to type this post it has paused for nearly a half sentence twice now as typing then suddenly catching up.

Sounds like the physical memory of the computer is full and it is pulling info from the virtual memory on the the hard drive. That happens to me sometimes after playing mp3's for a long time. In any event, it sounds like something is eating up your memory or your cpu's cycles.

Does it not do this when Firefox isn't running?

You can also try asking on the Firefox support site: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

It doesn't do it with any browser running. What I've done so far is to clear temporary internet files, clean out old junk and defrag the HD. Interesing thing is when in Firefox and posting a reply (like this) no problem. It does seem to be with Microsoft apps only. Like I said "The Empire Strikes Back." Smile I have not backed out of the current config yet, I need to do that. That is I need to let IE check if it is the current (primary browser.) After that I need to tell Firefox it is not the primary browser.

What can I say I am lazy and patient, I work around it. Neutral

Doug
linc
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are talking about Firefox,
What I had been doing was right click on the tab then on the drop down menu click close tab.

A neat thing [I'll be honest found by accident] is to d/l the Tab Browser extensions, once installed, close F/Fox and re-open, go to Tab, click on TbExtension, what you've just d/l a menu will open click on tab, you'll see middle button close tab, click o.k. you can make the scolling button close the tabs. Neat. I like it.

URL=http://img74.echo.cx/my.php?image=installdisk3nr.jpg][/URL]
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the second full day of fire fox. got flash instald. got spoof stick instald. got spell check instald.
spell check in firefox is nowhere as good as iespell check.
i have not set firefox as my default. i just open it and use it.
i had all my ie faverites set in and order that works. finding faverits in ff is like looking in random access memory! will figure a way to fix this if i,m to continue to use this.
i,m am preparing for a spelling police battle soon. but i will continue using ff for now.

robin-hood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Firefox 0.9.2 Security update Reply with quote

Today I found that there is an update to Firefox and Thunderbird
security updates to Firefox 0.9.1 Thunderbird 0.7.1

looks like Firefox 0.9 Thunderbird 0.7 are not affected
This from their website

The Latest From Mozilla
What Mozilla users should know about the shell: protocol security issue

On July 7 (yesterday) a security vulnerability affecting browsers for the Windows operating system was posted to Full Disclosure, a public security mailing list. On the same day, the Mozilla security team confirmed the report of this security issue affecting the Mozilla Application Suite, Firefox, and Thunderbird and discussed and developed the fix at Bugzilla bug 250180. We have confirmed that the bug affects only users of Microsoft's Windows operating system. The issue does not affect Linux or Macintosh users.

Today, the Mozilla team released a configuration change which resolves this problem by explicitly disabling the use of the shell: external protocol handler. The fix is available in two forms. The first is a small download which will make this configuration adjustment for the user. The second fix is to install the newest full release of each of these products. Instructions on administering these changes can be found below.
How to update

Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird users on Microsoft Windows operating systems should update in one of the following ways.

* To install the security patch for Mozilla or Firefox, follow these instructions:
1. Click Install Patch.
2. In the Software Installation window, click the "Install Now" button.
3. Exit and restart your Mozilla or Firefox browser.
* To verify the fix in your Firefox or Mozilla application, be sure to restart the browser and then follow these steps:
1. Type about:config into the address field and hit Enter.
2. In the Filter toolbar, type shell.
3. Look for the preference listing network.protocol-handler.external.shell.
4. If you see the preference listed with the value of false then your application has been patched.
* To install the security patch for Thunderbird, follow these instructions:
1. Right-click the Patch and choose save link as.
2. Save the file, shellblock.xpi, to your Desktop.
3. In Thunderbird, go to the Tools menu and select the Extensions item.
4. In the resulting Extensions window, click the "Install" button.
5. Use Windows file picker to select the shellblock.xpi file from your Desktop and click OK to dismiss the file picker.
6. Click OK on the Software Installation window.
7. Exit and restart Thunderbird.

* To download and install new Mozilla releases releases, follow the instructions below:
1. Download Mozilla 1.7.1 to your Desktop and double-click the mozilla-win32-1.7.1-installer.exe icon.
2. Follow the instructions in the Mozilla Install wizard.
1. Download Firefox 0.9.2 and to your Desktop and double-click the FirefoxSetup-0.9.2.exe icon.
2. Follow the instructions in the Firefox Install wizard.
1. Download Thunderbird 0.7.2 to your Desktop and double-click the ThunderbirdSetup-0.7.2.exe icon.
2. Follow the instructions in the Thunderbird Install wizard.

We value our users' safety and security and will continue to make

Just to keep everyone up to date

Surprised
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the up date info RH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: