Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Can I Boot from the Slave HD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGeorge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Can I Boot from the Slave HD? Reply with quote

A few months ago my older HP Pavilion started having hardware problems. The PC would seem to sleep for no reason. The frequency became so close, that the PC would no longer fully boot. So I took the hard drive out and added it as a slave to my newer HP machine. Both PCs are XP with the newer being Professional.

Everything is working great in that I can access my files on what is now my J: drive.

My question is; can I boot the PC from the J drive? I would sometimes like to run my old PC. It would be nice if I could have a choice of drives to boot from.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not possible to boot from an external drive, and even if it was you can't use Windows on a different machine to which it was installed - due to differences in hardware.

The only option is to install the harddrive into another PC, and then booth from an actual Windows XP CD (the same version of XP as you have installed on the harddrive) and do a repair install. There are lots of guides on how do this on the net- just do a Google search.
JustGeorge

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Thanks for your Response Reply with quote

Just wishful thinking on my part.

I once had 2 operating systems on 1 PC and on boot up was asked which one to boot with. And thought it would be cool to boot from either C or J.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: