Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Firefox-2 vs. Firefox-3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Firefox-2 vs. Firefox-3 Reply with quote

just 3 days ago Firefox-2 started notifying me of a "important update" available. i checked out the details of it and apparently it was Firefox-3.

i really don't know whether to stay and stick with Firefox-2 or go ahead with the update and update to Firefox-3.

i've been doing my research on the Internet and apparently some people have whereas others have not updated.

in some places i read that Firefox-3 "eats up more memory", other places it says it "doesn't eat up more memory".

in some places it says it "eats less memory than Firefox-2", still other places say it's "faster than Firefox-2", others say it is "slower than Firefox-2".

another problem with my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A40-SP151, by the way, in case anyone was wondering what it was) is that it's overheating like crazy lately, and [therefore] constantly turning itself off [after overheating], EVEN WHEN I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING ON IT!!!!

so as to the "Firefox-2 vs. Firefox-3" issue, i really don't know what to do, because i really do not want to contribute IN ANY WAY to the instability of my laptop (and at the very least, until i can afford to buy a new computer, whether it be laptop or desktop).

the other thing is, i've been reading SiteHound's website (and Firefox's 'report' on "the add-ons" i have), and apparently SiteHound's latest-version is, as of yet, still incompatible with Firefox-3 (it works REALLY AWESOME on Firefox-2, and i thank "chryssi2001" for advising me to install it on my computer to use it with my web-browser. before that i was using Macafee SiteAdvisor, and i've really found that SiteHound IS JUST SO MUCH BETTER).

i really want to continue using SiteHound, but i guess i'll have to wait until they make a updated version of SiteHound that is compatible with Firefox-3.

but back to the point: should i go ahead and update to Firefox-3, or stick with Firefox-2 for the time being?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I stuck with Firefox 2 until all the addons I use were available for Firefox 3, and then upgraded. Firefox 3 seems to be fine here, although I haven't really paid much attention to how much or how little RAM they each use, but both work fine here, so it really was just a case of waiting for the addons to be made available.

Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade to v3 straight away, just stick with v2 until Sitehound is updated, then make the switch.

You can of course switch back to v2 if v3 causes you any problems, although sooner or later we will all have to move to v3 as v2 will be left for dead soon.
Krahk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non-expert I can safely say that V3 > V2. Switch.
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys Smile

it was a really huge help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Track-Attack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: I'm no fan of MS but Firefox has become a joke. Reply with quote

Look i know MS with IE is nothing to sing and dance about but FF is now paid for by Google and anyone that types about:config into the address bar will know Google is all over the place and FF even has folders names 'Chrome' in the user-data.

On top of this it's also doing DNS calls for all the links displayed in the page, as if no one knows about DNS tracking and now it downloads the first google result in the background complete with any spyware.

Downloading FF in the UK results in a news feed to the BBC being created by default and at night when FF calls home it also does a redirst back to the BBC and just how many times a day must it call up Googles so called SafeBrowsing service thats so special that it uses it's own special encryption.

Sure i know you can get plugins to make it a bit safer but out of the box FF is a death trap and you should test to see just whats going on using something like MS-Fiddler.

Time we had a browser where these corporations are kept out of the loop and not just boltons to keep the devil at bay.

Sorry rant over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: