Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Safe registry cleaner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill6358

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Safe registry cleaner? Reply with quote

My laptop is 2 years old and it's slowing down somewhat. It doesn't handle my MMORPG as well as it did a year ago, I experience a lot more lag and choppiness these days. Unfortunately it's maxxed out for RAM (4gb) and I wouldn't have a clue how to replace the video card. I've updated the drivers. I'm also very sure that I don't have any viruses. So I would like to try to improve it's performance. I read an article that said to use a registry cleaner, but to be careful to choose a safe one. Does anyone know of a safe, spyware/malware/virus free, registry cleaner?
Thanks for any advice! Very Happy
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a safe registry cleaner, and running ANY registry cleaner will make no discernible improvement to the performance of your computer.

Registry cleaners do nothing more than remove a few orphaned keys and entries. The registry is very tolerant of orphans, it contains tens of millions of keys and entries, and removing even a few thousand orphans will make no measurable difference to the performance of your machine.

However removing the wrong key or entry in error could result in programs failing to work properly, or in the worst case scenario a non-functioning computer, and registry cleaners are prone to such errors.

So for the very small chance of getting any noticeable benefit, you run quite a considerable risk of damaging your machine.

There are quite a few things you should check to speed up your computer rather than trying a registry cleaner.

Try the suggestions on this link .....

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Jill6358

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Gary! I really appreciate you explaining that to me. The article made it seem like an easy fix, but now I realize it was just another ploy. I will do the things you recommended and hopefully that will help improve my situation. If not, I already ordered another laptop, so it's not the end of the world! Laughing
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Jill. Smile

If the steps described at the link I've given you do not improve the speed of your computer it's probably worthwhile posting a HJT log in the HJT forum so we can check over your machine.

There may be some hidden malware on your machine or we may be able to spot something else that might be causing the slow down.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: