Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

McAfee Subscription Expired, Need New Security Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veritas7
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: McAfee Subscription Expired, Need New Security Software Reply with quote

Hi, my McAfee Software subscription that came with my Dell Laptop recently expired. I want to download some new, free security software. I use Avira AntiVir on my desktop and am wondering if I could just go with that for my laptop now. I downloaded it, but a message came up saying that I have Windows Defender turned on and that I should turn it off to finish the download or I'd have compatibility issues. What should I use? I plan on un-installing McAfee, but should I just disable Defender and install Avira? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to uninstall McAfee before installing other antivirus software or you could run into problems.

Personally I would go for Avast instead of AntiVir because it is more reliable (e.g. AntiVir and AVG have problems downloading updates from time to time whereas Avast never does).

AntiVir does has slightly better detection than Avast,. If you often get infected you can install AntiVir along side Avast and do manual scans from time to time to see if Avast has missed anything. Just when you install AntiVir there is an option not to install the resident protection - make you sure you select not to install it.
Sludge3000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Veritas,

I have worked my way through AVG, AntiVir and Avast (in that order). All of them free versions. I wouldn't care to comment on detection rates as all of them detected the occasional thing and I have never suffered from a major infection but one thing I have found is that AVG and AntiVir give you huge pop up windows reminding you to pay for the full product whereas with Avast you just need to register and you receive no more reminders.
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a happy Avast user and have just updated from version 4.8 to version 5. (5.0.507, to be precise).
I waited a while till the bug reports started to tail off, then went for it. And am still a happy Avast user.

If you prefer to use Avira/are happy with Avira, why not stick with it and disable/uninstall Windows Defender? You can always install a demand scanner like MBAM or SAS for the occasional second-opinion scans.

AFAIK, WD does not conflict with Avast.

You should download the program of choice - the full installer file, the removal tool for McAfee, then disconnect, remove McAfee, run the tool, install the new AV, then reconnect for updates. Reboot whenever prompted during removal/install.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two comments on the install Avast or Avira delicious dilemma.

1. Because Avast version 5 has not been out all that long, it may be too early to expect real world tests of Avast5 vs. Avira10 to be really out yet.

2. In terms of the freeware versions of both products, the Avira one is partial crippleware because it does not include email prescanning.
Its why I have my not very email careful wife on Avast, and until I find
that Avast exceeds Avira on detection rate, I will stick with Avira.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: