Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

De gustibus non est disputandum!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: De gustibus non est disputandum! Reply with quote

Tomorrow at three pm BST it will be exactly one year since I installed NetProtect Plus (McAfee) that is provided by my ISP (British Telecom). I know McAfee is not a very fashionable AV & seems to provoke reams of invective & histrionics on some forums. I however, have had no problems with it whatsoever. That is more than I can say about Norton. Before that I had Bullguard, which is a Bit Defender variant, & they have had a few problems recently from what I can gather. I have had no false-positives or any problems at all.

I will admit that McAfee is a little heavy & can be a resource hog but it seems better than Norton & compares well with Bullguard. Its daily DAT updates are less intrusive than Nortonís weekly theatrical updates & donít freeze my computer if I am in a slow server like Norton did. The firewall & its functionality on McAfee is very good in my opinion & compares well with many others that I have seen.

So, I would like to thank all of the people who hounded me about deciding to download McAfee & I am sure you can all find tons of malware that would infect my badly defended computer. Although I would like to point out that I have multi-layered security including WOT & Site Advisor!

At the end of the day, after installing McAfee, the world didnít end in an apocalyptic inferno & McAfee didnít eat my computer or any of my internal organs. Neither did zombie flesh-eating aliens or flying monkeys appear in the sky hell-bent on some McAfee inspired mischief.

McAfee is not a fashionable AV & is probably not the best in the world either. Friends of mine have had problems with Norton, AVG, Avast! & Bit Defender of late while I have had none.

I get McAfee free from BT & it seems to be working fine. I am quite satisfied with it. I donít know how Iíd have fared with Avast!, MSE or any of the other freeware programs. There are also forums on the Internet with a level of maturity where a pack mentality didnít metaphorically jump on me just because I had decided to use an unfashionable AV suite.

I think those of us who are interested in online security should be a bit more helpful to each other & try to refrain from the need to be puerile & abusive.

It sort of reminds me about the controversies surrounding Windows Vista. Everyone claims that it is complete rubbish, yet it is far more secure than XP, it looks far better than XP, & in my experience far less problematical. In fact in the two years Iíve been running Vista I have had virtually no trouble with it. I had far more problems with XP which I personally did not like, yet for some XP seems considered to be almost perfect. I like Vista enough not to be too bothered about upgrading yet. I liked it right from the first time I saw it!

De gustibus non est disputandum!

~ Shakespeare Julius Caesar
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're on Vista, so you weren't affected by this ......

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=2003&tag=nl.e589

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?n&storyid=8671

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's quote of the day:

Quote:
Iím not sure any virus writer has ever developed a piece of malware that shut down as many machines as quickly as McAfee did today.

From what I read, the bad defs went to enterprise customers, not to home users.
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary R wrote:
I'm glad you're on Vista, so you weren't affected by this ......

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=2003&tag=nl.e589

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?n&storyid=8671

Well, a subtext of 'I told you so' isn't very helpful is it? Besides, as bad as it was, it didn't affect home users whatever their systems I believe. It seems that when McAfee have a gremlin certain people can't wait to exploit the fact & attack others just for using their software. I left the school playground decades ago. It's a pity we all don't.

It still doesn't change the fact that I have still had no problems with McAfee though.

Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
Yesterday's quote of the day:

Quote:
Iím not sure any virus writer has ever developed a piece of malware that shut down as many machines as quickly as McAfee did today.

From what I read, the bad defs went to enterprise customers, not to home users.

It's still a bit worrying though. Knowing my luck if I changed my AV it would eat my hard drive LOL!

Gary R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveski17 wrote:
Well, a subtext of 'I told you so' isn't very helpful is it? Besides, as bad as it was, it didn't affect home users whatever their systems I believe. It seems that when McAfee have a gremlin certain people can't wait to exploit the fact & attack others just for using their software. I left the school playground decades ago. It's a pity we all don't.

It still doesn't change the fact that I have still had no problems with McAfee though.

Please don't put words into my mouth, if I had wanted to say I told you so I would have done so. I merely pointed to a very real problem that some users of McAfee have recently experienced.

Your reply to my post echoes much more of the playground than anything I have written. I suggest if you want to discuss things in an open forum that you are not so quick to take offense where none has been given.

I'm happy that you have experienced no problems with McAfee, however the fact that you personally have not experienced problems does not preclude me from pointing out problems that a great many people did have.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary R wrote:
Daveski17 wrote:

Please don't put words into my mouth, if I had wanted to say I told you so I would have done so. I merely pointed to a very real problem that some users of McAfee have recently experienced.

Your reply to my post echoes much more of the playground than anything I have written. I suggest if you want to discuss things in an open forum that you are not so quick to take offense where none has been given.

I'm happy that you have experienced no problems with McAfee, however the fact that you personally have not experienced problems does not preclude me from pointing out problems that a great many people did have.

I think you're living in denial mate. I'm not offended as much as a bit tired of this constant tirade against McAfee users. It's childish & there are no major AV software distributors that have had totally clean records on false positive issues.

A year ago I had to make a decision about an AV. I came here for advice expecting a mature response & I just got a lot of silly immature responses.

I made the original post above to show that after all the silliness & prophecies of doom I have had a year of trouble free protection.

"does not preclude me from pointing out problems that a great many people did have."

Replying to my post?

Why not have T-shirts printed saying

"Daveski17 was wrong about McAfee"?

You just couldn't resist making a comment could you? Why not just start a new thread if you wanted to comment about it?

I think you missed your vocation as a stand-up comic!

Gary R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only childishness being shown here is by yourself. Please remove the chip from your shoulder.

The only persecution that you have experienced at this forum is in your own mind.

I have now unsubscribed from this topic and it will now be locked.

Doubtless this will add to your paranoia, but I see no point in wasting words further with someone who has convinced themselves that everyone is out to persecute them when such is not the case, and understandably no one else seems to want to converse with you.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: