Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Which is really the best free AV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Which is really the best free AV? Reply with quote

Hi. I got a new computer that came with a 60 day package of Norton. I've had numerous problems with the computer shutting down by itself, internet working slowly, programs crashing etc.

When I recently spoke to a AT&T representative (he came to my house and did a line test) he said the problem was my AVG Free Edition software. He said the thought I had a virus that causing a problem with the internet. He said that AVG free wasn't that good and that it wouldn't catch one twentieth of what was out there.

My question is...

Is he right? Is AVG Free really that bad?

If AVG is ok where does it rank with the other free AV?

I can't afford to purchase AV software. Which is the best free AV?

Also my computer is currently having trouble. Do you guys think I should start over (reformat and reinstall) with the better av you guys recommend and see if that was really the problem?

Thanks Smile
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is really the best free AV? Reply with quote

leader2 wrote:
Is he right? Is AVG Free really that bad?

AVG is definitely not as good as either Avast or AntiVir at detecting malware.

leader2 wrote:

I can't afford to purchase AV software. Which is the best free AV?

AntiVir (Aviria) is the best in terms of detection, but overall in my opinion Avast is the best free antivirus, because quite simply it works very well with a minimal impact on system performance.

Both AVG and AntiVir have problems downloading virus definition updates from time to time, whereas Avast never does.

Just make sure you uninstall any existing antivirus software before installing a replacement or you may have problems.

leader2 wrote:

Also my computer is currently having trouble. Do you guys think I should start over (reformat and reinstall) with the better av you guys recommend and see if that was really the problem?

Personally I don't believe in ever reformatting.

I suggest you run a virus scan with Dr Web CureIt to see if there is anything nasty on your computer. http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

Also do a scan with Malwarebyte's AntiMalware.

Remove any items found with both, then uninstall AVG and install a replacement and do a scan.

If you still have problems a reinstall may be an option - however generally I would only recommend this as a last resort. Before doing that a good option if you still have problems would be to submit a Hijack This log to relevant thread here, so someone can check it out.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Leader2,

Before we go off half cocked, lets make sure you (1) Got rid of Norton
before you installed AVG. (2) And getting rid of Norton is not as simple as add remove programs, usually you have to download a special removal tool from Norton or parts of Norton keep running.

After that, I agree with roger_m.
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osage wrote:
To Leader2,

Before we go off half cocked, lets make sure you (1) Got rid of Norton
before you installed AVG. (2) And getting rid of Norton is not as simple as add remove programs, usually you have to download a special removal tool from Norton or parts of Norton keep running.

After that, I agree with roger_m.

Oh don't worry Osage. Smile I removed Norton with a special tool before I even installed AVG. Thanks for you guys' advice.

UPDATE: Roger M I can see what you mean about AVG. It's running a scan now and detected a copy of AVG itself as being a suspicious file. The reason you ask? Because the file is signed with a broken digital signature. This really has me worried about AVG, (Don't worry guys I'm not just gonna worry, I'm going to install Avast. Smile ) how is it that it could detect a downloaded file of itself as being suspicious. I don't understand that and was hoping you guys could give me an explanation. Is that normal or was it a false positive or what? Maybe you guys could give me a clue.

Also this a great forum. I love you guys' suggestions. Keep 'em coming! Smile
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another happy Avast user. Never had a significant problem with it. After you've downloaded the installation file, get the AVG removal tool [urlhttp://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-tools]from Grisoft[/url] then go offline to uninstall/run the tool/install Avast.
A couple of reboots might be necessary to finish off the installation, after which, it works fine out of the box.

I wouldn't have thought AVG would slow things down that much unless there was something else at play (but it does happen), are you sure you ran the Norton Removal Tool? (It's available at Symantecs' site, and also MagorGeeks. I can post links if you aren't sure.)
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another happy Avast user. Never had a significant problem with it. After you've downloaded the installation file, get the AVG removal tool from Grisoft then go offline to uninstall/run the tool/install Avast.
A couple of reboots might be necessary to finish off the installation, after which, it works fine out of the box.

I wouldn't have thought AVG would slow things down that much unless there was something else at play (but it does happen), are you sure you ran the Norton Removal Tool? (It's available at Symantecs' site, and also MagorGeeks. I can post links if you aren't sure.)
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I ran the Norton removal tool. Are you saying that I need to run something else to be clear of Norton? Or is something wrong?
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes I ran the Norton removal tool. Are you saying that I need to run something else to be clear of Norton? Or is something wrong?

Probably nothing wrong, nor do you need to run anything else to remove Norton if the correct removal tool was run.
You would be advised to run the AVG remover (linked above) applicable to your OS, though.

I posted the above just for info, as there was no indication your issue was heading toward a resolution, yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: