Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Explorer.exe hangs and freezes up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trace
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Explorer.exe hangs and freezes up. Reply with quote

Hi
Was wondering if anyone could help me .
Ive been having a problem with my laptop all of a sudden when i open it and go to delete or move something from a folder like downloads example The folder freezes up and i have to reopen it Then after that everything is ok .
But today i got a message on my laptop saying & telling me about errors and it took me to the Microsoft site .
This is what it gave me .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972685

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB972685

Im using Vista
How do i correct this so my folders don't freeze up on me ?
Thanks
Tracey
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be to do with an entry "hanging" in the context menu handler.
I'm none too expert in this area, (but I'm here), so have a look at this and it may point you toward a resolution.
I don't know if the MS hotfixes are likely to help or not, sorry. If it were me experiencing this, I'd try using the tool suggested in my link first.
origwildman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am no expert, but looking at the two links you provided both point to Internet Explorer as being the contributor in some way. I see where they also point you in the direction of a patch, but tell you that it has not been fully tested (that scares me). I would suggest you post help requested items in all the security type forums you can think of, and I do hope you belong to more than just this one. Calendar of updates and Smokey's are two I would recommend.

Also as a suggestion and it is just that, I would think about downloading and installing Firefox as my default WEB browser, and relegating IE to the used only for Microsoft O/S patches monthly status.

Thanks
origwildman
origwildman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you know exactly what you are doing and are 100% certain, I would stay away from reg cleaners. If not used correctly, they can create major headaches, and you could delete necessary items.

Thanks
origwildman
datababe
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it would appear Windows Explorer (sorry, but there is an important distinction even tho the 2 are Evil Twins) is the culprit, and shell extension hiccups can indeed cause the context handler to hang. I've given myself that headache more than once.

A few quick questions:

Quote:
all of a sudden

Mmmmm - where laptops are concerned, 99% of the all of a sudden problems I've ever seen came after a high dive or a liquid collision. Can you recall anything that might have changed on your laptop about the time this started? A Windows update? A new program you installed? A new toolbar or icon appearing on your Windows Explorer menu?

Quote:
when i open it and go to delete or move something from a folder like downloads example

I'm assuming "it" refers to Windows Explorer (aka "My Computer") - does Explorer freeze as soon as you select a file for action? Or does it freeze when you act on the file? And if the latter - does it freeze when the file is right-clicked...?

Quote:
The folder freezes up and i have to reopen it

So I take it you are able to close the folder window? Or are you having to end the explorer.exe process altogether?

Quote:
Then after that everything is ok.

This is the part that's nagging at me - so after the first freeze up and subsequent kick-start, Explorer straightens itself out? If that's the case, then seems Explorer is borking on first load only (well, or first call to whatever code/ext is choking it). And I know I just saw that a month or so ago...

Quote:
but today i got a message on my laptop

If you can jot down the exact wording of any Windows or Explorer error messages you see, that could be very helpful.

I'm truly sorry if I sound kinda nit-picky - walking someone through troubleshooting over the phone can be a painstaking process, and I've done that since DR-DOS roamed the earth. I've painfully little experience doing it over the intarwebs. Wink

Hopefully in the time it took me to peck this out, you've already fixed it! Very Happy
http://datababe007.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: