Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

External Hardrives/Desktops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: External Hardrives/Desktops Reply with quote

I was searching online relating towards Electronic Upgrades, when I discovered/remembered that nowadays the largest memory a computer can hold is 1TB (is that right?). So online, I found not only hard drives/desktops that hold 1TB for a reasonable price, but I found something else that I needed an answer about. That something else was relating toward an Expansion 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive.

Judging by its size, it's probably something you hook up to your old harddrove to increase memory, but that could be wishful thinking (unless you tell me it's not).

Basically my question is: what is that?
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are talking about in the hardrive - it is where Windows and all your programs and data file are stored.

At the moment the largest size is 2TB (or terrabytes).

Most users won't don't have the need for a harddrive with that much capacity.

Now onto your second point - external harddrives.

They work independently to your internal harddrive, they just allow you store data externally. For example you could use one to copy any important files from your computer to. And then if you lose any files you have a backup to restore from.

Hope this helps.
datababe
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Roger's good points - an external hard drive will not increase your computer's memory - but it will give you increased file storage capacity, as well as a backup for your main internal hard drive.

Although as for most users not needing 2TB capacity...well, true enough now. Ask again in a few years. Wink I've filled up HDs recently that a couple of years ago I thought I'd never even fill halfway! I still remember dreamily exploring the massive 20MB (yes, you read that right) HD on my first personal computer, thinking "Ooooh, this is huge - I'll never use all this drive space!"

And now I think I just dated myself. Oops. Very Happy
http://datababe007.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: