Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Avast problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Avast problem Reply with quote

Ever since I've had avast (the free version), it has 7 providers and 6 of them running. But now, when I boot up my computer, it takes 10-20 mins total to wait for all 6 to run. Most of the time, only 4-5 are running, the one that is the sixth one is "Internet Mail". Stating that it is "waiting for a subsystem to start". Once that runs, everythign is fine. But there are even times when I go on (my bro goes on before me), that I notice that providers 5-6 have stopped or hasn't run at all and only 4, which leads me to reset the thing.

So what should I do? I still want to use avast, but this problem....what could they be?

BTW, the one that would be the seventh one, that doesn't run at all since I've got it is "Outlook/Exchange", with the same message. I don't know if you needed that.

Please help, and thank you.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cryer,

My wife has run the freeware version of avast for many years now on win XP and as little as 256 MB of memory. And has never had the problems you report.

Leading me to suspect you either have a corrupt version of avast installed or inadequate system memory. And if you are running Vista with only 512 Mb or less of ram memory, and also have a large number of start up programs, Vista may just be reluctant to allocate enough memory to Avast.

In XP, one can go start--programs--accessories--system tools, system information to get the amount of available system memory. If you are down to the low double digits, memory could be your problem. If so, either add more memory, or take some programs off your start up list.
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I checked. It is XP, BTW, and Available Physical Memory is 25.21 MB while Available Virtual Memory is 1.96 GB. So if this is the problem, what should I do to correct it?

Also, if I'am running a currupt version of avast, what steps to correct that?

P.S. would a hijack this log be helpful?
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryer wrote:
Okay, I checked. It is XP, BTW, and Available Physical Memory is 25.21 MB while Available Virtual Memory is 1.96 GB. So if this is the problem, what should I do to correct it?

Also, if I'am running a currupt version of avast, what steps to correct that?

P.S. would a hijack this log be helpful?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answer your questions to the best of my limited ability, 25.21 MB remaining MB of available physical memory tends to show your computer is using about all its physical memory. The virtual memory of 1.96 Gigabytes requires emulating ram using your hard disk drive which is way way slower than actual ram, and that statistic we really need is the total ram installed in your computer. With XP, I have found that most light computer users benefit by upping XP ram to at least 512-768 MB memory installed, beyond that you start to hit a point of diminishing returns. But if you do a lot of gaming, cad, or database work, more ram is advised. Download a freeware program called cpu-z to get information about your processor and ram speed&type. Also, make sure your hard drive is not running in PLO mode. And reducing the number of seldom used programs that automatically start up with when the computer boots up also can recover a lot of ram memory. And since its effect is the same as installing more memory and free, its more cost effective.

If I were to replace my wife's version of avast, I would download the latest version from a website like major geeks, file hippo, or the avast website, burn it to cd -r, then disconnect from the internet, use add remove programs to remove my old version of avast from the computer, and then reinstall the new version of avast. Then reconnect to the internet and do all avast updates.

You can do a hijack this log file, but so far, there is no indication that malware is involved. But you can do free on line virus scans from places like kaspersky and trend micro, and check other malware types with freeware programs like malware bytes, superanti spyware, and many others as a way to hedge that bet. Check the rouge list at spywarewarrior to make sure you are not using a bad program to scan with.
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this be a case of getting rid of things I don't need, or is that not the case? Like increasing the memory, I would think if I have files I don't need anymore, that would increase my GBs. But that might not be the case, so I don't know. I'm not really that technical in computers (I have some knowledge though) that is why I'm asking these questions.
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. what is the best place to dl or use cpu-z, so I will know it is not a BS site.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryer wrote:
P.S. what is the best place to dl or use cpu-z, so I will know it is not a BS site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try the authors own site.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: