Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Norton is horrible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehabsonice
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Norton is horrible Reply with quote

I have been hearing that Norton is a horrible antivirus software from everyone I know lol. I never believed them but today... I know that it's true. My friend had Norton internet security 2007 installed and it was up to date... and he had scaned it in front of me. Nothing was found.. then I installed avira (the free version) and it detected and deleted 3 harmful viruses... I checked them and they where very well harmful. The only proper thing from norton is the firewall and even at that I'm not sure... so OMG what do you guys think??
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink You KNOW my opinion. Norton is an over rated, resource hog, with a detection rate that just plain sucks. It offers poor protection and sucks up your ram and slows your pc down to a crawl. Also I want to apologize to you for an earlier reply I made to you...I didn't realize you had two pcs at that time. I thought you had switched from Kaspersky to Norton.
thehabsonice
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlot_1 wrote:
Wink You KNOW my opinion. Norton is an over rated, resource hog, with a detection rate that just plain sucks. It offers poor protection and sucks up your ram and slows your pc down to a crawl. Also I want to apologize to you for an earlier reply I made to you...I didn't realize you had two pcs at that time. I thought you had switched from Kaspersky to Norton.

Lol it's fine you helped me and I appreciate it, after all we are all human!
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Norton is garbage. However they do make one excellent product the Norton Removal Tool which will remove all the left over garbage from failed uninstalls of Norton products so you can completely get rid of Norton AntiVirus or internet security.

In my opinion all of the 3 major free antivirus programs - AVAST, Avira and AVG are better than Norton's products.
Tokar
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
Yes Norton is garbage. However they do make one excellent product the Norton Removal Tool which will remove all the left over garbage from failed uninstalls of Norton products so you can completely get rid of Norton AntiVirus or internet security.

Hahahahaha! Hilarious but true.
tripkill201
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokar wrote:
roger_m wrote:

Hahahahaha! Hilarious but true.

Not to mention very ironic. Laughing

The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope ó we must hope ó that manís own creation, manís own genius, will not destroy him. -Albert Einstein
Gary R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember about Norton (apart from the resource hog issues and its failure to uninstall properly) is that it is the most prevalent Anti-Virus programme.

Because of this most virus and Malware writers will test their creations against it to ensure it doesn't detect them.

Add to that Norton's lamentably slow time before issuing new signatures, and you can see why it's not the AV of choice for many of us.

On the good side, their AV database is a great source of info.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
emperor_darius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Yeah, norton's ************************** Reply with quote

Norton may be the most used and trusted, but it's one of the most ****ed!! Ya know, reliable companies are not Symantec and Panda, but Kaspersky, Eset and maybe McAfee.
DamnSpyware34
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAfee isn't that much better IMO.

Eset all the way!

BTW, I'm also a Norton hater.
thehabsonice
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell that people who know a little or something about antiviruses and ocmpany know the truth (that norton sucks) anyway,,, ya I still think that Kaspersky is the best.
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does give you something to think about! I would venture to suggest that that testing suggestion is or perhaps be either redone or in fact done the same for others as well.I dont think that is as isolated as you would think.
emperordarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, My dad works as a Contability professor, and he exhanges files via email all the day, with Yahoo!. Normally Norton Anti Virus that Scans the Yahoo Attachments didn't detect any threat. He gave mem his USB with all the attachments he received. Neither McAfee did so. Eset NOD32 Find a good 340 viruses but only after a manual scan. While Kasperksky automatically found malware as soon as the USB was inserted. After a scan, 350 worms.

That proves that Norton and McAfee suck!!!
KingOfIdiocy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Norton 'Sucking' Reply with quote

I use Norton Internet Security 2008 and its scanner has missed things
the free software recommended on this site has found. Surprised

It's a free trial that came with the computer so at least I have not paid for it.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is somewhat amazing to me is the absolute arrogance of symantec customer support. As they often demand paid support to fix their screw ups. On this and other computer security forums, Norton gets routinely bashed, and IMHO, quite rightly so.

The top executives of symantec cannot help be unaware of this
justified bashing, yet they seem unconcerned and do little to address knowledgeable consumer concerns.

The fact that there are a number of free AV products with a smaller footprint that out preform Norton and a number of other paid AV's,
can only be a monument to consumer ignorance.

I can only conclude nothing will change until consumers quit buying inferior AV's. And the fact that they still are has to be somewhat a testimony of how little outreach security forums have.

Sadly on the flip side, companies with the best paid AV's seem to have very little market share. As Gary R pointed out, in terms of deep pocket resources, symantec has some existing aces now,
but should be able to out innovate the competition in terms of R&D.
ErikMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:

In my opinion all of the 3 major free antivirus programs - AVAST, Avira and AVG are better than Norton's products.

In that case, I would recommend throwing Norton in the trash can (or the recycle bin, depending on what icon you have on your desktop) and head over to grisoft.com and get AVG Internet Security to replace it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a bit worried now as I use Norton (it came with the provider) it is also recommended on this very site along with others.
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also seem to be getting an awful lot of Symantec updates recently (anti virus/malware & firewall). Maybe they are trying to 'pull their finger out' a bit? Laughing
old_spyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a Norton hater. I'm fine with ClamAV!
joshish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the problem with Norton is they've gotten too comfortable with their dominance in the market over the years. Their software has become too bloated and their customer service is terrible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: