Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

"Web of Trust (WOT)" - um, what is it exactly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: "Web of Trust (WOT)" - um, what is it exactly? Reply with quote

I was skimming thru some threads at Virtual Dr forums and noted that a helper recommended "Web of Trust (WOT)" http://www.mywot.com/ to a person who had become infected. The recommendation of WOT seemed to be mostly informational as the person's infected machine had been cleaned. So I looked at WOT's homepage and watched the video and it seems to be a BHO but I am curious as to which rules, definitions, known phishing lists etc. WOT uses in order to generate the red/yellow/green traffic lights.

More than anything I'm just a bit curious. Is WOT reputable? Who is in charge over there? News, rumours, scandals - all are welcome! Cool

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From WOT's "About Us" page - http://www.mywot.com/en/aboutus

What is WOT?
WOT, short for "Web of Trust," is a community whose members exchange knowledge of websites: Can they be trusted? Are they safe to use? Do they deliver what they promise? If a site has a bad reputation, WOT will warn you - and save you a lot of trouble. By joining the WOT community you can protect yourself and help others. Our mission is to make the Internet safer by giving our users a way to share their experience of websites and the services they offer. WOT is a powerful tool - and it's free! We have information on 21 million sites. Join us today and make the Internet safer for us all.

Who is behind WOT?
Aside from the community, there is a hard-working team behind the WOT service. Headed by serial entrepreneur Esa Suurio, Against Intuition Inc. focuses on developing and providing software and services for the WOT community and promotes the community's goals of Internet security for everyone.

Against Intuition was founded in 2006 by two visionary graduate students, Timo Ala-Kleemola and Sami Tolvanen, who now are developing the system further with the aid of a group of talented software developers, designers and database administrators.

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, WoT uses a number of sources (including hpHosts), along with actual users, to rate websites.

I could've sworn they provided a list of the sources, but I'll be damned if I can find them atm, though if you fire them an e-mail I'm sure they'll tell you Smile

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: