Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Facebook troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Security Notices & News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Facebook troubles Reply with quote

Latest on viruses, spyware and so on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7918839.stm

My brother's kids would disagree but I simply don't see the point of facebook etc. Must be an age thing!
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Facebook and MySpace have both been hit with problems, though lately it's been mostly Facebook.

I don't like social networking for a couple of reasons... they are a means of infecting users and stealing info, and they encourage people to post info about themselves that should never, imo, be on the web. The younger generation of web users have no clue about the risks of posting so much info about themselves on the web.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of people I've had to teach about the risks of SN sites sometimes frustrates the hell out of me, especially when their response is "but I'm careful" (their idea off careful being, only install or open anything their friends send them - they kinda miss the point a bit there) or "I've not seen anything like that". They then act surprised when they do get infected, and swear blind it's not because of the SN sites - regardless of the fact that they are the only places online that they actually go.

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention people passing around links to online scams. A FB using friend sent me one a while ago 'thinking it might help'.
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reason to avoid Facebook:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7962631.stm

Quote:
With similar proposals already being enacted or under consideration for phone, email and internet contacts, ministers denied they were trying to intrude on people's private lives.

To paraphrase from another recent news story here - you have to admire this statement, in a non-approving way.

Surveillance State UK continues to expand. Brick wall
datababe
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined Facebook as an experiment, and also to get a first hand look at what is honking up so many of our clients' computers. The glee from some of said clients at discovering me there has been akin to Jane Fonda being caught binging at a Krispy Kreme. Razz The game has come to a full stop since I tried changing my password and got locked out of my account a couple of months ago . I received exactly ONE boilerplate "support" email from the "Facebook Team" and haven't heard a peep since. A quick cruise thru some forums indicates I am not alone.

Now there's a security issue...getting locked out of your precious Facebook account and being permanently unable to remove that embarrassing pic of yourself you posted late Saturday night on a dare (NO, I have not done any such thing myself, LOL). Or being unable to respond to, or remove, that writing on the wall left by someone you wished you hadn't approved as a "friend". Hubby tried the Facebook thing and got locked out as well - several years ago.

People really, really need to think through the long term implications of placing waaaay to much personal information on the servers of free social networking services that could, and do, deny them access to that information, with no recourse left to the user whatsoever. Meanwhile it's out there for anyone to see...and put to use.

suzi wrote:
The younger generation of web users have no clue about the risks of posting so much info about themselves on the web.

Amen. At the risk of being considered a social networking stick-in-the-mud, I'll continue to assert that I just.
don't.
GET.
it.
http://datababe007.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Security Notices & News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: