Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Bugs in Spybot 1.6.2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Bugs in Spybot 1.6.2? Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with Spybot S&D 1.6.2? I upgraded to 1.6.2 from 1.6.0 & it has been nothing but trouble. I found that I couldn't even uninstall it! I tried re-installing & all sorts of things. I would get a pop-up informing me that an important change was taking place every time I tried to upgrade anything, such as Java. The pop-up would not click off even when I clicked 'allow'. When I tried to close down the computer it only did it begrudgingly & Windows would inform me I may lose work if I close. 1.6.2 seemed 'buggy' & eccentric from the start.

I have finally managed to remove it & all of its files from my 'C' drive now (I think so). Even then it kept telling me I did not have authority to remove them. It really did not want to go!

I hate to lose Spybot because I thought the 'immunizer' was a good idea. I have *SUPERAntiSpyware, MBAM & SpywareBlaster still, so I should be OK. I just couldn't put up with all of its weirdness anymore. I hope Spybot 2 is a lot better. I may look at that when it comes out.

Has anyone else had any problems with Spybot 1.6.2?

*SUPERAntiSpyware has the distinction of being the only anti-malware program to have never caused me any problems ever.

~ Shakespeare Julius Caesar
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just seen this post, I thought it would be a great idea to update S&D and see if there were any problems.
Short answer, there were none at all.
I don't use the immunize, nor the TeaTimer. I suspect one of those may have caused or been implicated in your problem. (Whenever uninstalling any application it is a good idea to exit any resident protection that may be active.)
Longer answer, I updated from the internal updater rather than downloading the install package. The installer was created on my desktop, anyway, as part of the update, and I was able to keep it for later use.
Couple of black screens briefly appeared during the update, the entire process too about 3 minutes. Updates were downloaded, the computer scanned in the (normal) 15min 20s.
No threats.

What is your AV? Any other security programs active?
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Norton (BT Yahoo custom) 360. I have MS Defender running (but not on auto scan). I use SpywareBlaster, MBAM & SUPERAntiSpyware but they are the freeware 'scan' only on demand versions. My OS is Vista Home Premium.

I am a bit sad to lose Spybot, but it was driving me crazy. I think the Teatimer interface was not responding properly. I only had Spybot on default mode anyway. I never had this problem with 1.6.0.

Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton often cannot be installed with Spybot active/installed. Read a lot about this.That is likely to be your problem.
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was a myth. I have been using Norton for much longer than Spybot. It is only when I tried to upgrade that it started to give me grief. I installed 1.6.2 clean as well originally. I am not going to try Spybot again until 2.0, which should be out in a few months. I will have to talk to someone on the Spybot forums when I decide to download Spybot 2. I don't like losing it, but its scanner/remover is not half as good as MBAM or SAS anyway. I think the immunizer was a good idea, but I am not sure of its efficacy. I am sure I will be OK without it.

suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveski17, you might want to check, or maybe even post, at the Spybot support forum. I believe you will get the best info there.

http://forums.spybot.info/index.php
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I am a member there. When I have asked for help it has been suggested I just try a re-install. I think I will wait until Spybot 2 comes out in a few months. I had a hard time just removing Spybot files from my 'C' drive. Let alone removing it totally. I don't like it when I can't uninstall something that is not working properly.

mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To uninstall SSD properly, you must first deactivate all the protections you chose to install individually. IOWs you will need to properly deactivate TeaTimer, deactivate the SSD BHO(sdhelper.dll), and remove any immunizations you want before running the usual uninstall routine.

BTW Even tho I don't use any anti-malware scanners, I have been alpha/beta testing for Patrick since the very beginning and I haven't found any significant bugs in the current release. Perhaps if you tried using it again, you may notice just what scenario is played out and you could describe your situation and any bug report in detail. If so, you could possibly help all of us who try to help create a better product.

Anyway, just a thought.

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I did undo the immunization before I uninstalled, perhaps that was one of the problems. I honestly didn't think that the TeaTimer was active in default mode. I have finally completely removed it from my computer. I will very possibly download Spybot 2.0 when it comes out. I don't want to take the chance of downloading 1.6.2 again & not being able to uninstall it properly. Thanks anyway.

mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is certainly your choice.

Also for any others reading this;

If everyone made that choice, there wouldn't be any bug reports to work with and there might never be a new version if folks didn't report probs or request changes.

The development of freeware always depends on user feedback. That is especially true for SSD. Fortunately, many do choose to participate in it's dev and that is probably the main reason why SSD is released with very few bugs and has a long time record of less FPs than any other scanner in the industry. In addition to fewer FPs, the removal routines are far more likely to function properly. Put simply, that means you are a lot less likely to trash your sys and/or apps.

Anyway, it's all because of user participation. The SSD forums are great for other uses too. In addition to being able to openly participate in it's dev, you can find assistance in removal of nasties and help using SSD to your best result.

Also, it's impossible to use tools as powerful as a good anti-malware tool without some learning involved. It's been a long time since there was such a thing as a 'one button fix' in this environment. Any tool that claims to be 'easy' is simply a fake.

If I needed to use any anti-malware scanner, it would be SSD. Fortunately, I have no need.

Well so much for my soap box.

HTH & JMO

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I fully appreciate your position (& the work you guys do). However I can't afford to use my computer as a test-bed at the moment. I am only working part-time & I am not sure how long that will last. My computer is essential for me, particularly for work & it would not be easy for me financially to replace it. I am sorry to be a bit of a coward in that respect. I suppose poverty makes cowards of all of us. Also, my knowledge of computers is very slim. It has been a steep learning curve for me, I don't know how valuable I would actually be to developers. I do report any bugs that I think an application has though on the appropriate forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: