Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

YourUninstaller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: YourUninstaller Reply with quote

Hi.
Anyone know anything about UrSofts YourUninstaller programme and its attempts to covertly install IST Sidebar.

hitbit
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware of that. It has never done that when I've installed it.

The last time I downloaded and installed it was probably about a month ago when they released the 2008 version.

Anyway I think Revo Uninstaller is better:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It is free, has a portable version available and I've uninstalled numerous programs using the deepest scan - and only once has it picked up information not related to program being uninstalled. However despite of this it does a very good job of finding registry entries and files left over from a programs uninstaller.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get it from? ....... I've tried the installer for it from FileForum (BetaNews) and directly from the website and can't seem to get an IST anything, let alone the side bar?

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
hitbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Apologies Reply with quote

Sorry Guys,
Please accept my apologies. The problem is not with Your Uninstaller but with Start Up Faster which is offered for sale as part of UrSoftware's Platinum bundle which includes Your Uninstaller, Start Up Faster and Capture and Send. When I first purchased this bundle last year I took the additional option of free upgrades for life. The initial installation of all three products was fine but when I recently tried to install the updated version of Start Up Faster it tried to install IST Sidebar. CounterSpy stopped the whole installation identifying IST as a dangerous programme.

hitbit
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although NOD detected the trial of SUF as a probable NewHeur_PE variant, I viewed the contents of the installer and couldn't see IST bar, or indeed, any other additions.

Code:
18/01/2008 19:37:52   Real-time file system protection   file   E:\Misc\Malware\ursoftware_com\sfsetup\{app}\is-6FE5I.tmp   probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus   cleaned by deleting - quarantined   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM   Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\Program Files\No-Installs\Universal_Extractor\bin\innounp.exe.

Can you possibly send me the installer your AV detected as infected with IST?

sww_files @ it-mate.co.uk

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
hitbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Start Up Faster Reply with quote

Hi,
I Don't see an option to attach here but the problem is with the downloaded sfsetup.exe. As soon as I click to install CounterSpy reacts.

hitbit
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that too, but it was detected as NewHeur.PE. Examining the installer and it's contents, showed no trace of IST Bar.

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
hitbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Start Up Faster Reply with quote

Hi,
CounterSpy simply removes the programme and will not allow it install. I will wait for a response from UrSoft's Tech people but they seem slow.

Thanks
hitbit
hitbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Start Up Faster Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just to report back. There is no problem with Start Up Faster, Your Uninstaller or Capture and Send from UrSoftware. I asked Sunbelt the developers of CounterSpy to investigate why their programme was finding IST. They had a look at all UrSofts programs and assured me that none of their programmes were trying to install anything dodgy and that CounterSpys reaction resulted from the method used by the Start Up Faster installer. They instructed me to disable CounterSpy, install SUF then restart CounterSpy. I did this and just to be sure ran full sweeps with several ASW progs. All had nothing to report.

hitbit Very Happy
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know Smile

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
hitbit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Your Uninstaller Reply with quote

Hi All,
Seen as how I mentioned Your Uninstaller in error last January, thought I'd drop back just to say. Your Uninstaller is a great programme, watches all installations and makes removing them so so easy. 10 out of 10 .

hitbit Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: