Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

AntiMalware Recommendations vs. Lavasoft's AdAware Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nweissma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: AntiMalware Recommendations vs. Lavasoft's AdAware Pro Reply with quote

I have been using AdAware Pro 2008 (the pay version) -- includes real time AdWatch. It seems to have been successful in that I know of no false negatives (and the large number of configurations and options are useful.) Nevertheless, I do not visit iffy sites so i do not know AdAware Pro's authoritative reputation. Where can I obtain an authoritative review of AntiMalwares? [/u]
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: AntiMalware Recommendations vs. Lavasoft's AdAware Pro Reply with quote

nweissma wrote:
I have been using AdAware Pro 2008 (the pay version) -- includes real time AdWatch. It seems to have been successful in that I know of no false negatives (and the large number of configurations and options are useful.) Nevertheless, I do not visit iffy sites so i do not know AdAware Pro's authoritative reputation. Where can I obtain an authoritative review of AntiMalwares? [/u]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Nweissma,

To some extent you have come to the right place, namely spyware warriors where there are a large collection of people experienced at computer security. And if you look at back posts, you can find those authoritative reviews of various malware products. For a variety of freeware and commercial types of software.

But still, its not a cut and dried matter and many products are hotly debated in terms of their effectiveness.

But still, most people advocate a layered defense, and ad aware is
merely one product in the "spyware" layer of defense, probably not the most effective single product in that class of "spyware " defense layer, and one should have other applications that take care of the firewall layer, the anti virus layer, the process control, layer, and also have a knowledge of the ways you can reduce your exposure to malware of all kinds. In terms of that latter set of behaviors, you somewhat address that with "Nevertheless, I do not visit iffy sites", and that is a part of a good start.

When it comes to the spyware layer of defense, the one advantage one has is that one is not limited to one and only one
application at a time like you are in the active anti virus layer and the software firewall layer.

And while, IMHO, ad-aware is no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer, you can still run freeware or paid versions of spybot search and destroy, A squared, super antispyware, and quite a few others to increase your protection in case ad-aware alone does not catch all that comes by. The main thing to also understand is that some products are either far less effective or in fact are rouges that will install malware on your computer. And in that area, this forum is very good on identifying the products you should not use.

But I voice only my opinion, I certainly hope others on this forum will also weigh in and give their opinions. None of us can make your computer bullet proof, but we can come very close.

But if you can describe what you have in the way of a computer, especially the OS, and what other anti malware products you use,
we can be more effective in helping you build better defenses.
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of no recent comparison of the real time portions of anti spyware apps

Each of the on demand scanner portions have their strong points and weak points.
Ad-Aware recently found an infection on the Avast forum that was missed by everything else
This has been true of all the scanners regularly used including Spybot, Malware bytes, Super Anti Spyware, A-squared.

Now back to real time protection
Free vs Paid
There are the free ones that I know of and remember I know of no recent comparisons.

Spybot T-timer
Windows Defender
Spyware Doctor from google-pack
Spyware Terminator
BO Clean

Paid include

Ad-Aware Pro
Malware Bytes Anti Malware Paid
Super Anti Spy Paid
Sunbelt Counterspy
Webroot Spysweeper

I recommend running ONE of the above Free or Paid real time programs
Some like BO clean may run alongside and some may not- you get to experiment

Win Patrol is a after the fact scanner but highly recommended
other ideas are HIPS and things like threat fire, script blockers etc

be advised that some of the above come with BHO Toolbars pre checked- you have to opt out
other really important things are keeping all software up to date
(run secunia software inspector)
removing old java
a third party firewall
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdAware is definately not a program I'd recommend anymore - it is simply nowhere near as good as it used to be, instead turning what was a pretty damn good AS, into an overly bloated mess.

Like everyone else, using a single program is not a good idea - a layered defence must be used, and this includes (but is not limited to);

1. Firewall
2. System Monitor
3. Anti-malware
4. IDS (Instrusion Detection System)

For #1, I'd recommend one of the following;

For #2, the only System Monitor I recommend, is WinPatrol;

http://www.winpatrol.com

For #3, my main recommendations are;

Please note, an anti-malware/system monitor is NOT a replacement for your antivirus, it's an addition to it. I'd strongly recommend (in no particular order);

Additional measures of course, can also be taken. These include security toolbars such as WoT, SiteHound, Heute Secure and HOSTS files such as hpHosts*, MVPS Hosts. For info on these, please see;

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=12-08-2008

* In the interests of full disclosure, I am the owner/maintainer of hpHosts

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to focus on ad-watch and similar I neglected to mention a-squared in the paid category

Ad-aware ad-watch real time comparison - I know of none recent

scanners-different subject

Ad-aware as a scanner- I agree with Steve but Ad-aware has surprised me recently.
Spybot has also stepped up to the plate with weeks of large updates and a rewritten t-timer
Spybot also has an impeccable reputation for integrity in the face of threats of legal action by scumbags.
I put the Sunbelt people in that category also.
Malwarebytes- long time crew creates new wonderkinder

For completeness there is also a way to configure CA Pest Patrol as a free real time and there is the Paid version with both real-time and some removal/ detection capability

Hosts file- also essential
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: