Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

What would you say is a good AIM replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Writer
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: What would you say is a good AIM replacement? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My computer was saved today thanks to this place, but as much as I like it here I'd rather not be a visitor because I have a problem, rather because I just want to stop in. I've taken a look at all my installed programs making sure they're up to date and secure but I started thinking when I got to AOL Instant Messenger. I've heard all the horror stories about AIM viruses but what makes me dislike the messenger even more is whenever I'd sign on the AIM page would open and interrupt my browsing. Maybe there is a way to keep it from opening up but if so I overlooked it, and I could care less about the celebrity news they have to offer.

So to cut a wall of text short, are there any other AIM programs out there that you would recommend besides the official one? I would like to keep using the AIM service since that's what most of my family has but I'd like a program that is safe and secure and a bit more simply. Any recommendations?

And this might be a stupid question, but if I were to use another AIM program that wasn't AOL's my password wouldn't be able to get stolen, would it?
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the real AIM client in years. Probably since at least 2003. You can easily use your existing AIM name or create one with Trillian if you re on Windows or Adium if you are on a Mac. As an added bonus, you can be logged into all of the major IM networks in one program. No ads or other annoying crap and they are both free. No adware or other unwanted extras either.

Password security is the same or better than the AOL client.
Phunctional

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Trillian in years, but as I recall Trillian was more bloated than just using the seperate clients themselves. Perhaps they have improved the client, but the experience I had with it was bad imo, ie, slow computer start-ups and overall performance of computer is slowed.

My suggestion on an im-client, is Pidgin. Simple interface and support for multi-protocols (aim,icq,msn/live, irc, and more), and best of all; it is free.
Writer
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your recommendations. I'm going to try both of them out and see which is right for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: