Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

New Hp com, no AV SW installed, how to safely connect to net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: New Hp com, no AV SW installed, how to safely connect to net Reply with quote

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes anyway.

How can i secure a new computer before connecting to the internet.

Just bought a new Hp notebook that was supposed to have 60 days free norton antivirus protection but none was installed.

I am reluctant to connect to the internet without any antivirus. It does have the standard Vista firewall but would like to upgrade it, any recommendations for an overall free package that i should use to secure this machine before connecting to the net.

I do have another machine running on Xp and can connect to the net with it.

have sent an email to HP support but suspect they will take a while to respond.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

johnnyboy.
Gary R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is not a subject for the HijackThis forum, I've moved your thread to a place where you're more likely to get a response.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi johnboy is the Vista firewall is enabled then it's safe to connect to the internet until you install antivirus software.

I suggest you try ESET Smart Security from www.eset.com - made by the same compnay that makes NOD32 but this includes a firewall and antispam. I haven't tried the antispam yet, but the antivirus is very good, and the firewall buy default protects you without alerting you about every single program that's trying to access the net.
johnboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the input,

I have another computer running on XP and use Zone Alarm firewall on it which i am pretty happy with, i get a few things which i have to action but not too many once it settles down.

Would the standard vista firewall be as good as zone alarm, I also use Zone alarm's Anti virus and it's been pretty good so far, no nasties have got through. However i dont think ZA have a free version compatable with Vista yet?

Was going to try and use AVG's Free anti-virus and get a better firewall, would you recommend this?

Might give Eset a go although i must admit i have never heard of them.

Thanks for your help.

Johnnyboy.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To johnboy,

In terms of the general case of anyone getting a new computer, I feel that they should be doing their homework and making sure they have a security system already burned to CD-R, they can then get installed on the new computer before they access the internet the first time.

In terms of the eset security suite or NOD32, it may be forum debatable if they are the #1 BEST choice, what is not debatable is the fact that its a very good choice at least in terms of the NOD32 anti virus. But if you get any security suite, you may no longer have as any choices in terms of firewalls because you may have to use the suite's firewall.

In terms of a vista firewall, IMHO, the zone alarm free version is a very bad choice. ( the paid version of ZA offers better protection but still does not rank as a top three choice IMHO ) For a firewall that works with Vista, the comodo version three is far better and I am not sure if the highly rated on line armor free version works with vista yet. And for that matter, the microsoft supplied vista firewall is far better than the wimpy SP2 firewall for XP.

In terms of an antivirus, I personally don't think either AVG or Avast
are quite top tier first choices like NOD32 might be. The only really freeware top tier AV in terms of detection rates would be anti-virus
which sadly lacks prescanning of incoming emails in the freeware version. But again thats my opinion and its debatable.

But it seems to me you are on the horns of two dilemmas. Deciding freeware or not freeware and to go with a suite or not a suite. But if you are going with a paid suite, consider also the Kaspersky one
which can often be purchased with a huge rebate making it almost freeware.

But you hopefully will take the time to research your choices. This forum is a great place to do that research with many of us making wildly divergent choices. Look at all the alternatives before you decide is the best advice I can give you.
Lusher
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freeware vista firewalls are

Webroot Desktop Firewall - http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-desktopfirewall.html

Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 - http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Version

PC Tools Firewall Plus - http://www.pctools.com/firewall

AOL also offers a free Mcafee suite at http://safety.aol.com/isc/BasicSecurity/ that includes firewall and antivirus/antispyware.

Online armor does not yet support vista.

Webroot Desktop Firewall *could* be a good choice. This is actually a rebranded Privatefirewall. This company provides also the highly rated DSA (dynamic security agent) a good HIPS.

Webroot desktop/private firewall also include DSA so it has decent HIPS features as well..

I do not currently recommend Comodo firewall 3, because it is still buggy despite being out of beta.

CastleCops Comprehensive List of online scanners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: