Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Now that's been out for a year, how many of you diehards...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Now that's been out for a year, how many of you diehards... Reply with quote

have upgraded to Vista. If you have, are you glad you did? I have it on two of my four computers, now. It is growing on me.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't afford it ........ and even if I could, I don't have a machine capable of running it ......

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
tripkill201
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually downgraded to Windows 2000 Pro. Laughing

The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope ó we must hope ó that manís own creation, manís own genius, will not destroy him. -Albert Einstein
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware issues have been the stumbling block for me as well, that and some app compatibility issues.
Nightmaretony
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got topo many programs that arent compatible to swtich. Mayube in a couple of yearswhen the 20 or so important programs get compatibility, then MAYBE....
are birthed
and bred

Nightmare Park
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Vista here. In the year since it came out, I have seen it on several computers and each one has confirmed to me that I never want Vista on any computer of mine.

I'll see what changes when SP1 comes out, but frankly I still consider it "unfit for purpose".
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philosophically speaking, I think that Vista, more than any previous MS release, has made obvious the fact that you cannot develop a single product designed for both the home and enterprise markets. The objectives and requirements of the two audiences are simply too dissimilar.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that many of the pcs in the stores have Vista os and only have 512 MB of ram installed. Anyone that buys these lower cost computers will assume Vista sucks, because it will run slower than Hell. You need a bare minimum of a whole gig of ram, and even Microsoft recommends two GB to have it run as smooth as XP. I only have one gig on my new laptop, and it runs real fast and smooth. I have two gigs on a desktop, and it runs very well, also. I have found NO programs that won't work on Vista this year. Last year very few would work. I like it as well as XP Very Happy
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used PCs with varying amounts of RAM with Vista, from 512Mb to 4Gb, and yes, Vista's performance on 0.5Gb of RAM is positively glacial, even with Home Basic which doesn't include Aero etc.

However, even with more RAM in the machine, there is a latency with Vista which is simply annoying, where things which happened immediately when using XP, will take a lot longer to start and finish.

Microsoft appear to have forgotten that a PC is basically a tool and should be quick and efficient. They are trying to give people a "rich computing experience" when all they want is something which works quickly and dependably. Like dressing up a power drill in loads of ever changing colours, adding clever spin-up and slow-down sounds to it and generally trying to make using a power drill a "rich drilling experience". It makes no sense with a drill, and makes no sense with a computer either.

Still, they're the clever ones worth billions of dollars, so what do I know?
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickyricky wrote:

However, even with more RAM in the machine, there is a latency with Vista which is simply annoying, where things which happened immediately when using XP, will take a lot longer to start and finish.

If you're talking about the"User Account Control", you can turn that off, you know.
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wasn't referring to UAC - I know that can be switched off.

It's more that with Vista, everything has to have that much more "wow" so every aspect of using a PC has been subjected to a noticeable performance hit. Like taking considerably longer to boot up and shut down, for example. Even the time to display the Control Panel is notably longer.
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldengreek wrote:
If you're talking about the"User Account Control", you can turn that off, you know.

Why would you want to, UAC is one of the very few visible improvements in the OS? The HIPS/process firewall/application control that I have in place on XPpro makes UAC look like a walk in the park so I don't mind that at all. What I object to is the overhead required to achieve someone else's idea of a "rich computing experience".

As far as I am concerned, MS can take Aero, and its overhead, and shove it where the sun don't shine. The real improvements lie in features like UAC and the programming conventions that are required for a third party app to to get the "Vista compatible" rating. Yes, UAC in its current form can be a bit cumbersome, but it affords a measure of safety and protection that has been sadly lacking. MS realizes that this is an imperfect first step and is already working on refinement. (Hush my mouth, don't get me started on UAC and user resistance to wearing its safety belt!)

What really gripes me about every new Windows version is that I can take hardware that it won't run well on and convert it to a 'nix box that runs like a bat out of hades. If you are wondering, after that statement, why I even bother with Windows, it is because I spend most of my leisure time helping confused/infected users and if you are into that, then Windows is where it's at.
Crap Wear Worrier
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with XP, so why would I want to shell out and buy Vista?

If I wasn't happy with XP I wouldn't want to buy another MS product.

I haven't tried it but I get the impression it's gimmicky bloatware, principally designed to generate more sales. Some of the features I really can live without.
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get the impression it's gimmicky bloatware, principally designed to generate more sales. Some of the features I really can live without.

Yes, and no. Vista represents an important departure from previous NT versions in that there has been a significant rewriting of the code base, with an emphasis on securing the OS. Those aspects I welcome and applaud. There are also the features like Aero that do nothing to enhance performance (exactly the opposite) or security. Those I can do without.

MS has had to resort to some sleight of hand to make the sales figures even somewhat optimistic (such as counting all sales of OEM systems with Vista installed as a "sale", even if the "sale" included the option to revert to XP). A large part of this, I think, is that third party providers have been slow to fully modify their (often buggy, insecure) apps to conform to the new order. Not MS's fault, but they will get blamed anyway.

Even though MS made me an MVP I have often been critical of them and leveled a good bit of sarcastic humor toward Redmond. I will continue to do so when I see fit, but actually feel sorry for them about some of the criticisms expressed over Vista.

I spent several years as a systems administrator in the Unix world and only logged into "root" when absolutely necessary to perform a particular task and then logged out. Least privilege was a well understood concept in the 'nix world, but seems totally foreign to most Windows users. UAC may not be perfect, but it is an important first step toward forcing users into a "least privilege" mode of operation.
katana
SWW Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a laptop with Vista Home Premium for xmas,
I must admit I wasn't looking forward to it (vista, not the laptop Smile )

Having said that, after using it for a month I am quite happy with it.
The UAC isn't as annoying as I was lead to believe.

Security wise it is definitely a step in the right direction.

If we have helped please consider a donation
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The UAC isn't as annoying as I was lead to believe.

Yes, you do get used to the prompts et al. I suspect that it would only take one UAC prompt when you were not expecting one to make one a believer.
Coldmoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I am warming to it. I only needed to spend ~$40.00 USD over the cost of the Business Edition upgrade to get this old compaq rig ready for it as I already had been using 2GB of RAM and a decent flat panel since 2004.

1) "New" video card = ASUS N6200 series

File transfers and downloads are my biggest "nit" as it takes forever. Takes a few seconds to download a 2-3 MB file and then another 2 or 3 minutes to actually complete the file copy to disk.

I am looking forward to more real world feedback from the early SP1 adopters to see if this issue is really fixed.

Mike
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldmoon wrote:

File transfers and downloads are my biggest "nit" as it takes forever. Takes a few seconds to download a 2-3 MB file and then another 2 or 3 minutes to actually complete the file copy to disk.

I am looking forward to more real world feedback from the early SP1 adopters to see if this issue is really fixed.

Mike

That is just one of the areas where Vista wastes too much time where XP would have finished the job and moved on to something else.

Another terrible time-waster is adding network printers. I had to add a network printer yesterday to 3 Vista laptops and one XP laptop, all on the same network. The XP one was done and dusted in under a minute. The Vista ones all gave an error which prevented the addition from working at all, until I removed the printer and drivers from the server and then set up the server again. Then each of the add printer commands spent 10 minutes at the "connecting to printer" stage, which I cancelled through boredom. A second try caused the printer to be added, but the "connecting..." dialog again sat there until cancelled a second time. After that, however, the printer was available and usable on all three Vista laptops

Total time for the XP laptop - 1 minute.
Total time for the 3 Vista laptops - 2 hours.

All 3 Vista laptops were bought new in the past 2 months with Vista pre-installed, 1 a Sony Vaio and 2 were HPs.

And people wonder why I maintain that Vista is not fit for purpose...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: