Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Help! Creating (developing) an antivirus!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emperor_darius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Help! Creating (developing) an antivirus! Reply with quote

Hello, I'd really love to create an antivirus program, but I really don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me, by telling me were to find developing tools (possibly free), and tips.
Note: I'm only 13 and I have only DevC++ (basic knowledge).
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to disassemble and analyze malware?

Do you know how to diagnose and remove malware?

Are you familiar with the Windows registry, file system etc etc?

If you cannot answer yes to the above (and they're just the basics off the top of my head), then not knowing how to write such a program is at the bottom of the list (wanting to write an AV is admirable, but ALOT of hard work and dedication is involved and certainly more work than one person could handle).

Instead I'd advise familiarising yourself with the various system and malware aspects (either via school or online courses) before beginning to design the program let alone actually write it.

You may also want to get in touch with existing AV/AM companies, and see if they'll allow you to do some sort of apprenticeship (very unlikely at 13) or work experience (you can do these through some schools, depending on where you are).

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
tripkill201
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with MysteryFCM's post above. But, you also would have to pour so much money into an anti-virus, that, unless you are strapped for life with cash, you probably wouldn't be able to develop the program very far at the age of 13. Also, you would have to understand the key differences between viruses and malware/spyware/adware, and how to remove them. (But remember, anti-virus, and anti-spyware programs are 2 different things.) Don't forget the heuristics logic too. And the hundreds and hundreds of people it would take to make an adequate anti-virus. (Adequate=Better than Norton.)

So, take into consideration the many, many factors of an anti-virus before you embark (on what may be) a life-long project. Smile

The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope ó we must hope ó that manís own creation, manís own genius, will not destroy him. -Albert Einstein
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will help you out. Give me your e-mail adress and I will send you a mild virus. That will give you something to experiment with while you are trying to delete it. I promise it won't steal your id or your bank account, but it might fry your hard drive. Wink OK, I'm just kidding. I applaude your efforts, though, and it will be a long and expensive venture for you if you develop one that can compete with the likes of Norton,McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, NOD32, Panda, and other top AVs. I hope you succeed Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: