Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Microsoft patents new adware. OHBOY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spyware/Adware in the News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightmaretony
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Microsoft patents new adware. OHBOY Reply with quote

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html
are birthed
and bred

Nightmare Park
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Time to learn Linux...
Turtledove
SWW Graduate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Or a Mac, I'm no good with linux....yet.
I'm not even thinking of getting Vista.
Smile...It WILL get better
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Time to learn Linux...

That has been the case since MS showed the way things are headed with Vista. Microsoft and big corporations are the only ones that matter, users are second-class would-be criminals, who should just send all their money to Microsoft and then run along quickly not making any fuss...
tripkill201
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time that someone invented anti-Microsoft adware software. It's going to be necessary if this stupid adware gets approved.

The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope ó we must hope ó that manís own creation, manís own genius, will not destroy him. -Albert Einstein
Nightmaretony
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt it be hilarious for the Microsoft spyware to be listed in their anti spyware program?

Makes the head asplode...
are birthed
and bred

Nightmare Park
tripkill201
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmaretony wrote:
Wouldnt it be hilarious for the Microsoft spyware to be listed in their anti spyware program?

Makes the head asplode...

Yes, it would. Windows Defender detecting Microsoft created adware would be so ironic. I hope that Spybot will detect that adware if it's approved. (I just wish that adware wasn't legal, but unluckily, it is legal in the eyes of the law. Although, it shouldn't be legal if Smitfraud is adware, which technically it is considered adware.)

The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope ó we must hope ó that manís own creation, manís own genius, will not destroy him. -Albert Einstein
ld
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is a defensive patent so they can keep others from doing that? When reading the article it sounded more google like than microsoft. The first thing that popped into my head was gmail. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft used it though.
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right, Id, and that occurred to me as well. I somehow find it difficult to imagine MS loading that on enterprise level systems. That would kill them.

What I immediately thought of was Google Desktop.
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit to the user is the perception that the ads are more relevant, and therefore, less of an interruption. The benefit to the advertiser is better focus and a higher chance of conversion to a sale."

the benefit to the connedsumer

less interruption of their cash flow

higher chance of bilking cachcow

all things suck at microsucks
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another aspect to this is that MS would not have to implement it to make money from it. Once they hold the patent they could license it to others who would do the actual dirty work.
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite interesting to watch the world make fun of Microsoft for doing the exact things other big corporations get away with on a daily basis...all without a squeak from anyone.

Security breaches, adware and privacy concerns are alive and real with just about EVERY piece of software or service online today. The beloved "gog of search"...can do no wrong, yet they are one of the worse offenders.

If the internet is to become safer and better for all to use, people need to update their "old school" views with realistic current ones.

Even if you do not like Mr. Gates or his company, attacking Windows is just plain bizarre. I refrain from saying stuff about Mr. Jobs and his company because I have nothing good to say about them.

And besides, how many ads to you see today by Microsoft compared to the "other" guys?
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it quite interesting to watch the world make fun of Microsoft for doing the exact things other big corporations get away with on a daily basis

It isn't that simple, at least not for me.

MS builds my OS. I don't expect perfection and can deal with the inevitable bugs, latent vulnerabilities, and (IMO) undesirable design features in stride. But, if the maker of my OS patents a content based advertising module designed to bring advertising to my system then I begin feeling uncomfortable. If that module is subsequently embedded in the OS then I would consider trust broken.
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of a quicker way to get me to ditch all things M$ than if they were to incorporate this abomination into an OS.

They just don't seen to get the idea that some people don't want ANY advertising on their machine.

What am I saying, M$ don't even seem to get the idea that it is your machine.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary R wrote:

What am I saying, M$ don't even seem to get the idea that it is your machine.

Regardless of whether they get that idea or not, their arrogance lets them act as if they own it.
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft is positioning itself to have the option to offer online services for free or little cost to the end user. This is the only product that would be considered for such advertising. Everything else is speculation.

The advertising would "supplement" the cost for those who choose that route. No different then the "gog" search company. As we all know here, Microsoft does not sit back and watch another company succeed without playing around in the same arena.

BUT, neither does ANY big corporation.

Businesses of today would NEVER allow Word, Outlook or any area of the OS to host outside advertising. So, in that respect, I agree 100%...most all of my customers would be gone too! I also do not believe that Microsoft would try that with a "premium" product.

But, if someone wanted to write a Word document online, and it had a "ad" much like Hotmail has to offset the cost of the "online Word"...some people would accept this over the "other" online choices, and therefore, Microsoft is on the right track!

I would add that in taking "informal" surveys...NONE of my customers, family or friends will use online software services for their personal or business documents...but maybe a student that needed to write a paper?

I still feel that this kind of talk is part of this "new age" marketing tactic...that is to pull customers away from Microsoft as a whole...regardless of where we end up. Since I do play with many other brands of software, I completely feel that Microsoft products are superior and I would be very sad...if they were not around for me to enjoy! Not everyone today buys into this hype.

These are just my thoughts on this matter. Very Happy
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything else is speculation

At this point, everything other than the filing of an application for a patent is speculation. It could be a preemptive filing, it could be for license to others, it could be anything. On the surface, however, it does not sound good (at least to me).
Quote:
I also do not believe that Microsoft would try that with a "premium" product.

We know from experience that MS doesn't create "basic" and "premium" products, just turns off certain "premium" features in the "basic" versions. If the code is embedded then there is a resulting danger, or suspicion, that it may be turned on by exploits. That, too, is supported by experience.
Quote:
I still feel that this kind of talk is part of this "new age" marketing tactic...that is to pull customers away from Microsoft as a whole...regardless of where we end up. Since I do play with many other brands of software, I completely feel that Microsoft products are superior and I would be very sad...if they were not around for me to enjoy! Not everyone today buys into this hype.

Speaking personally, I have no interest in pulling customers from MS (I sure don't want to have to wet nurse them to anything better!) nor to drive them anywhere else. At the same time, my remaining trust in any MS OS is extremely fragile and I mainly retain Windows only so I can continue to support MS users with problems.
Quote:
These are just my thoughts on this matter.

Which are just as welcome and valid as anyone else's. Very Happy
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the same time, my remaining trust in any MS OS is extremely fragile and I mainly retain Windows only so I can continue to support MS users with problems.

Mine is not, that's all.

I seem to believe that the move with this "patent" is part of the possible "subscription" based OS that is also being discussed.

And if not, then it is for the creation of a low cost OS that would be ad supported, since many consider Vista too expensive. Microsoft is making great strides to change the areas that are "sticky" points for many.

What I refer to as the "premium" edition is not so much code talk...but money talk, meaning a low cost version of the Windows 7 OS.

Quote:
Which are just as welcome and valid as anyone else's. Very Happy

Thanks, that all I was doing. I was simply throwing my "2cents" into the bucket. Everyone has different experiences in the world...especially with Windows.

As for me, it has been GREAT!

Again, thanks for hearing me out on this topic.
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I seem to believe that the move with this "patent" is part of the possible "subscription" based OS that is also being discussed.

And if not, then it is for the creation of a low cost OS that would be ad supported, since many consider Vista too expensive. Microsoft is making great strides to change the areas that are "sticky" points for many.

If "great strides" include parsing all my personal documents/emails on the system, sending off keywords, and then returning "relevant" advertising then it is, in my opinion, already too expensive.

I am not at all convinced that MS plans to embed/implement this "feature", especially considering the furor that erupted when news leaked that they were actively looking to buy Claria. If they do, however, I would be willing to bet that rather than using a normal DNS lookup for the adserver that they would embed the resolution in dnsapi.dll, just as they do msn.com today.
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that it will be the beginning of the end for Microsoft if they even tried such a thing on any paid OS. They barely got out of hot water with the WGA mishap! And this would be WAY over that...if it was to happen!

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spyware/Adware in the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: