Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Thanks for having Me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
micaman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks for having Me! Reply with quote

Thought it was time I joined the Spyware Warrior Forum, since I am known as "micaman the malware hunter" and love busting the bad guys!

I have read the Forum Rules and will follow them! One of the biggest reasons for joining is the fine work done by Eric Howes! As a long time follower of Ben Edelman, I am very happy that the two are working together!!

Since the malware writers work as one, we in the security industry need to do the same!!!

United as one, we can "take down the bad guys who are holding the web ransom." Shocked
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Spyware Warrior, micaman. It's good to see another malware hunter here. Smile
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am known as "micaman the malware hunter"

Hi, micaman. In what circles are you known by this title?
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldfrog wrote:
Quote:
I am known as "micaman the malware hunter"

Hi, micaman. In what circles are you known by this title?

The internet?
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The internet?

Ah, yes, I've heard of it! Still, it's a rather large place. I don't recall seeing you around the research sites so perhaps you prefer the MS private newsgroups?
micaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldfrog wrote:
Quote:
The internet?

Ah, yes, I've heard of it! Still, it's a rather large place. I don't recall seeing you around the research sites so perhaps you prefer the MS private newsgroups?

Well, I do play in many areas, some under other "user names" of which I prefer not to disclose for security reasons.

But to add to my response, I am a Network Administrator for several businesses, including a Law Firm, which gives me a lot of freedom to research malware & internet security. I have worked with several government agencies to shut down rogue websites and I tend to bring out the BIG guns towards online abuse.

I also like to defend Microsoft, with actual facts, in circles that seem to be just "attacking them" to sway uninformed consumers over to other products...just for the fun of it. I have used their products since dos days and love Windows.

If I reach I point in my life that I truly believe in the hype against Microsoft, I will certainly have to rethink many of my views!

My company home page is located at www.micaspecialties.com and I operate/design dozens of sites online. I have been a ASAP member for some time, but have not posted there lately, and I am a member at around 25 other forums, news groups and research sites. My titles have included everything from newbie -to- expert -to- mod -to- trusted -to- admin -to- owner - but really, I am just paying attention to learn all I can. My self imposed label is..."work in progress."

I am a partner with Sunbelt Software and a few dozen other top tier vendors, design/build Windows based desktop machines, repair them, working on a software maintenance program and have a passion for taking out the "bad guys" online today that are mucking things up.

This is more than I would normally post in a forum about me, since I do not know who is watching...he he, but after looking over your personal site (I am still there now), seeing that you are a site admin here, and of course, you asking...I am trying to be a little more open.

I will say that I do technical beta testing for Microsoft, along with several other companies, and I was in the group of the "1st" ten thousand testers world wide to technical beta test Office 2007's entire line up. I have become turned off to "some" beta testing lately, as I think it is more of an "early public release" than actual testing.

I also, write a free XP help site, which can be found by hitting the WWW button below.

Please do not take any of my words as bragging..I am not, my friend. I am a "little nobody" playing in the big bad web world. I am more of a loner...doing my small part (or trying to), in the malware wars. I still have hope in a clean, safe internet for all.

I hope this helps you better understand me!

-james
Turtledove
SWW Graduate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Nice to have you here.
As they say, it is great knowing there are more of us fighters and hunters out there.
Smile

Turtledove
Smile...It WILL get better
micaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtledove wrote:
Hello and welcome. Nice to have you here.
As they say, it is great knowing there are more of us fighters and hunters out there.
Smile

Turtledove

Thank you , Sir!

Very glad to know you.

James
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having Me! Reply with quote

micaman wrote:
Thought it was time I joined the Spyware Warrior Forum, since I am known as "micaman the malware hunter" and love busting the bad guys!

Contrary to Micaman's proclamation he's only known under the moniker micaman the malware hunter only by resources either owned or comments written by him as Google demonstrates:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22micaman+the+malware+hunter%22
In other words micaman the malware hunter is just the fantasy product of someone who dreams of significance and hopes by repeating the mantra often enough his dream may become true one day:
Quote:
As micaman the malware hunter, I know malware - and HiJackThis v2 will be one of the fastest ways of repairing a machine after infection in 2007

http://www.download.com/3642-8022_4-2815865.html

Quote:
Since the malware writers work as one, we in the security industry need to do the same!!!

This demand is used male bovine food because it is based upon an invalid premise. Malware gangs are competitors and the more competition they face the less revenue they can generate. This is one of the reasons why some malwares in the wild have been observed to check for competitors and remove them in order to not have to share system resources with anyone else. If Micaman really cared about the subject, he would have done a research and may have stumbled across articles like:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/01/malware_gang_war/
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9719577-7.html
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/it/2007/05/15/virtual-gang-wars-and-spam/
But instead he resorts to inventing "facts" straight from the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
United as one, we can "take down the bad guys who are holding the web ransom." Shocked

And here Micaman fabricates another "fact" straight from the air about some fierce crooks holding the web to ransom to paint his crude argumentation as emergency. The notion that giving up individuality and joining one movement would be the solution to take down "bad guys" is plain crazy, because it negates the fact that people have different levels of ethics, intelligence and education and can reach their goals without a mass movement. But then again, finding out about that would go contrary to his desire of a collective meltdown in favour of obscure phantasies about "the right idea", which are rather common in fanatic sects than amongst sensible people.

Olliver
micaman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having Me! Reply with quote

a notepet wrote:
Olliver

WOW. Now you (a notepet) are "stalking" me here and online everywhere.

Is this how you welcome new members here at Spyware Warrior?

Regardless of your beliefs or claims about me - Malware is the reason we are here, and where I spend a lot of time. Time spent researching AND removing it, and not "just" reading about it. It really requires both to make a difference.

And yes, I too, can do a search on your user name and find postings by you. So what?

What are you trying to gain by this?

Do you think this is constructive for this forum?

Do you think it make me look unprofessional...and you look like an expert?

My time is worth more "helping people with their machines" then debating anything with you. Your tactics will not silence me in any way.

And yes, I spend 40 - 60 hrs per week, every week, with Windows based machines. Maintaining them, keeping the "bad guys" out of them, building them, repairing them, upgrading them and keeping things running smoothly, of which I do with happiness and to the happiness of my clients and visitors. I spent another 20 - 30 hours per week helping consumers rid their machines of malware...for free. This is what I do and will continue to do - regardless of what you think I should be doing.

And FYI, this is much more useful and productive than reading news blips and attacking others that are making a difference.

Really, a notepet, you should make "a note to your pet" - to let others live in your world!
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nothing at all to worry about, micaman, just par for the course.

How new members are greeted depends entirely on the first impression.
    If they are here seeking help or asking questions then they are typically taken at face value.

If they show up and start providing opinion/advice then the reasonableness and quality of those is evaluated and they are treated accordingly.

If they arrive and claim some sort of distinction then some vetting is in order.

You are a perplexity at the moment. We have a variety of backgrounds from a number of venues, yet no one has ever heard of "micaman the malware hunter". We have employees from several vendors here, including some from the Sunbelt research department (you claim to be a Sunbelt partner) but none have heard of you. Most of us have access to one or more research sites but you don't seem to be at any. Given that, an internet search is the next obvious tool to use.

You will, I hope, forgive our caution. We frequently, here and elsewhere, have malware writers, rogue venders, and outright posers try to pass themselves off as experts in the field. A little caution is necessary.
micaman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldfrog wrote:
Nothing at all to worry about, micaman, just par for the course.

You will, I hope, forgive our caution. We frequently, here and elsewhere, have malware writers, rogue venders, and outright posers try to pass themselves off as experts in the field. A little caution is necessary.

Thank you sir, for such a reasonable answer. I will PM you with a little more info and my "contacts" at Sunbelt and my partner number. I am cautious too.

I do understand my entry was taken completely wrong...by my own actions...and regrettably so.

I am simply trying to move forward from here.

If one is to look around under "micaman" as well, it also has more about me. As I stated in my intro, I am more of a loner. Nonetheless, I am still valuable in what I do.

Again, thanks for your post!

-James
micaman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a PM, Oldfrog.

Thanks!
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having Me! Reply with quote

micaman wrote:

The interested reader may immediately spot that micaman - rather than trying to defeat the argument - tries to launch an ad hominem attack and notice that he did not deny the outlined issues with his "facts".

Quote:
Regardless of your beliefs or claims about me - Malware is the reason we are here, and where I spend a lot of time. Time spent researching AND removing it, and not "just" reading about it. It really requires both to make a difference.

And yet again micaman is trying to sidetrack the discussion with irrelevant claims. Nobody questioned that he may have already removed some malware by means of 3rd party tools or descriptions. Still he is providing no explanation for his irrational "theories" about "malware writers working as one", the non-microsoft users conspiracy or deficient knowledge about screensavers.com and freeze.com.

Quote:
And yes, I too, can do a search on your user name and find postings by you. So what?

What are you trying to gain by this?

Do you think this is constructive for this forum?

Do you think it make me look unprofessional...and you look like an expert?

Prospective customers of "micaman"'s consultation services may be interested to learn how he only perceives the result of his behaviour and reinterprets it as attack, entirely ignoring what lead to it in the first place. They will get an impression of his "professionality" and may consider other alternatives who may be more expensive but less troublesome.

Quote:
My time is worth more "helping people with their machines" then debating anything with you. Your tactics will not silence me in any way.

In other words, "micaman" will continue to invent "facts" rather than educate himself, evade discussions by launching personal attacks and fabricating conspiracy theories. Such a level of ignorance and reinterpreting a simple discussion as "stalking" is astonishing and one can but hope that customers who have to lodge a complaint about failures in his work will not have to deal with the same level of irrational and infantile behaviour.

Since poor "micaman" appears to be incapable of leading a sensible discussion it seems to be the best to leave him in his dream world where he can pose as expert to people who are more clueless than him and have a blind faith in [false] authorities. I for one won't bother anymore about micaman's posts and throw him into my imaginary killfile from now on.

Olliver
micaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having Me! Reply with quote

a notepet wrote:
The interested reader may immediately spot that micaman - rather than trying to defeat the argument...

I do not think you will accept anything I say, regardless of how I say it. You are splitting hairs with me over basic words such as bad guys. I think the interested reader may derive a few things about you too.

Quote:
Still he is providing no explanation for his irrational "theories" about "malware writers working as one"

How is my statement that malware writers are are working as one to attack us online - regardless as to what type of malware they push...so off course to you? They are all bad guys and they are all creating victims. That is good enough for me...to consider them all bad and against the cause of good actions towards consumers.

Is it not the same as the "neighborhood watch" guards that look after all houses and take down all bad guys in the neighborhood? They are lumped into one category for sake of communicating, with the details sorted after the fact. They are still bad guys.

Quote:
deficient knowledge about screensavers.com and freeze.com.

Now you do not agree with what happened to my test machine by freeze.com? Where are your freeze.com postings? Why not show me how to do it better instead of simply attacking my every move?

Quote:
...perceives the result of his behaviour and reinterprets it as attack, entirely ignoring what lead to it in the first place.

I answered this in the post before yours...to Oldfrog. I am able to see my errors and learn from them.

Quote:
They will get an impression of his "professionality" and may consider other alternatives who may be more expensive but less troublesome.

My clients have used other services before me and find me to be very pleasant, professional and easy to get along with. Your behavior would never make it with them.

Quote:
In other words, "micaman" will continue to invent "facts" rather than educate himself, evade discussions by launching personal attacks and fabricating conspiracy theories. Such a level of ignorance and reinterpreting a simple discussion as "stalking" is astonishing and one can but hope that customers who have to lodge a complaint about failures in his work will not have to deal with the same level of irrational and infantile behaviour.

Who is making personal attacks now? I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be. I state this over and over. I do not claim to be anything more than what I am. I bring novice users into the fold of computer security and direct them to the experts/gurus. FYI, if I can not fix or clean a machine from a new client, I do not charge a dime. I only get paid by performance. And if it gets attacked after my work, there is no charge for the new work. And if I find a new piece of malware or trickery that I do not know what to do with it, I state the fact and take the project on as "research" and do not charge for it, but will fix the machine. The proof is in the puddin' my friend!

My clients all know that I am a third generation Italian furniture designer who shifted into computers for health reasons.

And yes, I am a malware hunter and will continue to do so. I do not need your approval to do so.

Quote:
Since poor "micaman" appears to be incapable of leading a sensible discussion it seems to be the best to leave him in his dream world where he can pose as expert to people who are more clueless than him and have a blind faith in [false] authorities. I for one won't bother anymore about micaman's posts and throw him into my imaginary killfile from now on.

How do you continue to take my experiences as a dream world? I think one who merely reads about malware to be more in a fantasy world...than someone who defends machines from it everyday. To say I am more clueless...is quite a statement, a notepet.

Olliver[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: