Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Help for reducing spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Help for reducing spam Reply with quote

See my web page at

http://www.netrn.net/fight_spam.htm

for help with spam.
blender
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzi!

Great page on spam! Lots of god info links on here..keep up the good work! Very Happy

I currently use no spam removing/killing software since I use "throw away" email addys on most things asking for email addresses on the net. my address which I do display on any forums i visit/reply to I have the junk mail filter set to "paranoid".

If we have helped you please consider a donation Thank You
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Blender! I have a good system for dealing with spam too. I have the spam-laden email addresses that were formerly posted on my website, forwarded to a Hotmail account which is set to "exclusive". Any email that from any address that's not on my contacts or safe list goes directly to the junk mail box. There I can delete the entire contents with 2 clicks. Laughing

Last edited by suzi on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinksey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed Spam Inspector so I can't say much about it yet. I'm so tired of getting ads for spam and other Meds with no way to opt out. I have since read where it is not wise to opt out . I have the Spam Inspector to do a bounce so we'll see Hinksy
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hinksey! Let us know how Spam Inspector works out for you. I haven't heard of it til now.
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never ever post your email on the net in open view as search bots run by spammer will get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Acsell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alot of good information there, just posted a link to it on another forum

I used to get quite a bit of spam but because I check my e-mail regularly it didn't build up and so didn't really bother me.

Also AOL seem to have got alot better with controlling spam. I can remember when I was recieving 100 spam e-mails a day. Now I only get about 2 or 3.
Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help for reducing spam Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
Now if you are thinking "I don't have time or the interest to do all that", there's an easy solution for you called MailWasher. This is freeware which allows you to see your email before it's downloaded to the server and you can bounce it back to the spammer which makes it appear that they got in invalid email address. MailWasher is easy to use and most people love it.
Smile I agree that MailWasher is an excellent spam blocker, but they should never have incorporated the bounce. My advice: instead of bouncing, just delete it or deactivate the function 'bounce' in the Accounts options.
Idea A long topic about this feature was discussed at the Poco Forum 'What's wrong with MailWasher?'. It came to this that most of all addresses used are spoofed, so in fact you're spamming a real person, instead of the spammer himself.
I can't post the link to the topic in question, because for the moment it's offline due to server change. Confused
As soon as the forum is back I'll post the link. Wink
BenFitts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzi,

You might want to recommend web site owners check out Project HoneyPot. http://www.projecthoneypot.org/index.php

They give you specially encoded addresses for putting on your web site. These addresses allow them to track which spambots harvested your email address so that they can then add them to blacklists.

It is a novel new idea. I hope it works out.
http://spamexperiment.blogspot.com
WildLily

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I received hundreds of spam emails every day for several email accounts and had to spend much time downloading and deleting them. Then I began using SpamCombat http://www.glocksoft.com/sc/index.htm. I can't say that I don't see spam at all now. But the SpamCombat handles about 90% of spam what I think is not bad. Plus, it saves me much time and bandwidth because the spam is deleted from the server and not downloaded into the inbox.
Dsenette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not quite cost effective for personal use but if there are any admins here the barracuda networks spam firewall is the best thing ive ever seen. we have had ours for about 6 months and i havn't seen any spam make it through the thing. i looked at the logs for our cuda at our sister plant in KY and in the year and a half that they have had theirs installed it has stopped 2.3 million mails either due to being spam or containing viruses. in the same time period it has only marked 75 emails as spam that were not supposed to be and due to it's ease of use those took a matter of seconds and mouse clicks to deliver correctly.
carlosoctavio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ey Suzi, can i ask u if i can translate some tips in my blog to spanish? Obviously i will mention the source, of course.
ChrisRLG
Moderator & HJT Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started using K9.

Its free and it seems to work.

You have to train it yourself - it comes knowing nothing, but by the time like me you have 500 good and bad emails - it 'knows ya know'. (Sorry that was a ref to a UK Comedy show Smile )

Link :- http://keir.net/k9.html

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
Angoid
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using K9 as well, and now it's been "trained" with a number of good and spam emails, it seems to work quite well Smile

I wrote a tutorial some time ago on using Outlook Express's message rules system to filter out spam by recognising words in the subject, senders, etc. Although it could probably do with a bit of updating, I feel a lot of it is still valid.

I'm wondering how Microsoft Mail, the program that will ship with Vista to replace OE, will compare?

This is the article.
RedBarren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever hear of KnujOn.com? They've done a pretty good job at cutting down spam for me. Super

I used to use Blue Security. Unfortunately, they are no longer an option.

Oh, Suzi, you really need to get a "hi" emote. Very Happy
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether this is a report by a happy customer or a marketer being paid for raising the visibility of KnujOn.com's services. At any rate the fine people over at Castlecops were discussing their services some time ago:
http://www.castlecops.com/posts156179-0.html

Olliver
RedBarren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a notepet wrote:
Not sure whether this is a report by a happy customer or a marketer being paid for raising the visibility of KnujOn.com's services.

LOL, I can assure you I'm not getting paid, I am simply a happy customer spreading the word. All the standard disclaimers apply -- it may not work for you as different people get spam from different spammers, batteries not included, etc. I was one of the "lucky" few that got the "revenge" spam after Blue Security folded, for a while over 6,000 a day. That settled down eventually, but was still between 100 and 200 a day. I was down to about 25 a day a few weeks ago, but then I started getting spam in Russian so it's back up a bit now.
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying your motivation. No offense meant, but in these days where even ICANN accredited registrars find it perfectly ok to spam blogs and forums one cannot be careful enough Wink.

That said, what I find positive about the CastleCops discussion I linked to is that these people from KnujOn.com were actively participating without complaining about the scepticism they encountered at first. So by evidence they do want to get in touch with people and hear about their opinion, rather than dump their ad via some spam blaster to gazilions of blogs and forums. But as I haven't used their services yet and do not know anyone using them, I'm not qualified to make an authorative statement about them.

Olliver
RedBarren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken. Smile I would be suspect of my recommendation also, since it was my first post here. I actually came by because a friend of mine is infected with a trojan and this site was recommended by a highly respected friend (not that my other friend isn't highly respected -- she's just not a techie). I ended up browsing through the forum and noticed KnujOn wasn't mentioned in the spam section. If you knew how much time I used to spend trying to shut down spam sites, you'd have me committed. Shocked Now I just send my spam to KnujOn and let them deal with it.
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBarren wrote:
I ended up browsing through the forum and noticed KnujOn wasn't mentioned in the spam section.

Ok, now it is Wink
Quote:
If you knew how much time I used to spend trying to shut down spam sites, you'd have me committed. Shocked Now I just send my spam to KnujOn and let them deal with it.

I hear ya Wink. Been through that as well, but meanwhile I hardly send out LARTs any longer, because it's not really a rewarding task. Especially if complaints are forwarded to the spammers and they choose to forge your email address in their next spamruns so you'd get bombarded with all the backscatter coming from ill configured mail servers and firewalls.

Olliver
RedBarren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to track them down and tell them I was 8 years old. Wink Hey, it worked for a while. Very Happy But that was years ago.

But that's not really why I stopped by. I write an article for a small newsletter and I wanted to see if I could get permission to mention Spyware Warrior in it.

Tim
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I write an article for a small newsletter and I wanted to see if I could get permission to mention Spyware Warrior in it.

I think you need not seek permission just to write about a subject in your own words. Permission is needed whenever copyright issues could arise, for instance, if you'd like to recycle longer passages of text/articles or images for your newsletter. Briefly citing a source and pointing to it should be covered by fair use.

Olliver
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBarren,

I just saw your post. No problem with mentioning this site.

If you have a specific question for me, it's best to PM me, otherwise there is no guarantee I will see it when it's posted in a random topic in the forum. Unfortunately I don't have time to read every single post here.

Thanks.
nx42qr7
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber Criminals Aiming To Make Santa's Naughty List- "According to AppRiver,an email security service provider,consumers can expect a 35% increase in the volume of spam during the holiday season.Specifically,AppRiver recommends consumers watch out for fake holiday e-cards and charity scams."
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since yet another thread has been dredged up for irrelevance, I suppose I might as well add my 2c to the KnujOn talk;

I guess most of you know that there is now a couple of whole boards invested in KnujOn over at CastleCops now.

While I have my doubts as to how successfully they would cause a reduction for individual users, I have taken a small interest as an admin since there is litterally no effort involved personally and a great deal of volumn to add to the mix. Ref; http://www.castlecops.com/t200372-Do_you_really_want_all_my_junk.html

Also, since there isn't any effort involved, any reduction of spam in the world can only be a win for me. I think it could be something others might think about too.

Just my 2c and I am also not connected with KnujOn. Smile

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: