Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

A question about MS MVP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erikalbert
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: A question about MS MVP Reply with quote

Given the whole scumbag is MS MVP nonsense going on I'm curious about this whole MVP.

Since a craptload of people here are MS MVPs , I thought I would ask them here.

What did you feel the first time you were awarded? Was it unexpected?

What specific contributions do you think were responsible for your award?

How valuable was this MS MVP award to your career? Did it open new doors? Increase your salary? Or is it just a line in your resume that doesn't do much?

Did you find yourself acting differently after you were first made MS MVP?

For those of you who subsequently lost the award, how did you feel when you were not honored the next year? For those of you who have maintained the MVP status all the way through, how important is the MS MVP award to you and how would you feel if you lost it?

How difficult is it to obtain a MS MVP award? Do all active HJT helpers have a shot of achieving this?

Is the process of selecting MS MVPs political? Are there in your opinion many who deserve to be honored but arean't.
Conversely are there any you think that shouldn't be but are (Paperghost can skip this one lol)?
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved this from Antispyware Software, since it's not about any programs.

As far as the MVP questions, you aren't likely to get much of a reply. It is handled in a professional manner. As with many professional things, it isn't appropriate to discuss them.

goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer, Nick...I think Erikalbert has a problem. Rolling Eyes
Erikalbert
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

As far as the MVP questions, you aren't likely to get much of a reply. It is handled in a professional manner. As with many professional things, it isn't appropriate to discuss them.

Discussion going on http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=22957
paperghost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikalbert wrote:
Nick wrote:

Discussion going on http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=22957

thats a discussion about Patchou - that particular discussion isn't related to any of the questions above apart from the one about "who need kicking, lol". i doubt you'd see anyone say anything about that, because

1) there are tons of MVPs. I know about twelve. i'm sure its the same for the others.
2) the patchou thing is an extreme case.
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikalbert,
What different does it make whether someone appointed you a MVP or somewhere in the Szechuan province of China a rice bag has fallen over? After all it's your achievements that count and people will listen to you if you have something to say that makes sense independent from any appointments. A Microsoft approved icon in your signature doesn't prevent you from criticism if you're talking nonsense or behave in an inacceptable way.

People are successful whenever they do something out of conviction and in most cases honours will be a pleasant byproduct that confirm what they're doing appears to be right, but it's not a prerequisite for them to get started.

Just my 2 ,
Olliver
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it remains to ask just what it means when M$ recognises one's accomplishments, et cetra? In that light, it won't be talked about, since there is essentially nothing to talk about. Yawn and roll over, more like it.
Erikalbert
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a notepet wrote:
Erikalbert,
After all it's your achievements that count and people will listen to you if you have something to say that makes sense independent from any appointments. A Microsoft approved icon in your signature doesn't prevent you from criticism if you're talking nonsense or behave in an inacceptable way.

To some extent it does though.

I have seen some debates that go. But that forum/software/method is rogue or nonsense or whatever! Countered by, but so and so who is a MS MVP vouches for that!

If the title means nothing at all, I don't think PG and the rest of people would get so worked upover the you know what issue.
The title stands for something.

Quote:

People are successful whenever they do something out of conviction and in most cases honours will be a pleasant byproduct that confirm what they're doing appears to be right, but it's not a prerequisite for them to get started.

Oh no, I doubt anyone starts out just to get the title (or if they did , I doubt they would admit it even to themselves), but that does not mean that you cannot see in retrospect how some of your achievements helped you achieve that title, or even judging how the title helped you or changed you.

But okay , it's probably too private a metter for most people to want to share.
olliver
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikalbert wrote:
If the title means nothing at all, I don't think PG and the rest of people would get so worked upover the you know what issue.
The title stands for something.

Nowhere did I write it would mean nothing at all, but that it's nothing more but an honour you were given. Just like a well known author writing a favourable article about your work. People somehow find this honour devaluated since they don't want to be associated with a spyware friendly developer (which is more than understandable). But at the same time they have to realise that Microsoft didn't honour their fight against malware and couldn't care less about their ethics.

The title itself is the least of all concerns as far as I understand.

Quote:
Oh no, I doubt anyone starts out just to get the title (or if they did , I doubt they would admit it even to themselves), but that does not mean that you cannot see in retrospect how some of your achievements helped you achieve that title, or even judging how the title helped you or changed you.

I did write that it's a honour that people like to take with them as confirmation of their actions, so you're merely rephrasing my argumentation. But in the case of MVP it means that Microsoft isn't an instance that judges you by moral integrity and people expecting that will be disappointed and irritated once this becomes clear.

Olliver
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the last time M$ will shoot itself in the foot.
Erikalbert
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a notepet wrote:
But in the case of MVP it means that Microsoft isn't an instance that judges you by moral integrity and people expecting that will be disappointed and irritated once this becomes clear.

Olliver

I guess the question becomes what exactly is morality? Does the act of working or promoting a product with adware (even one clearly marked and allows opting out) automatically make one immoral?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Talk About It All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: