Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Greetings everyone and a big thank you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grey_moon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Greetings everyone and a big thank you Reply with quote

Hiya everyone and a big thank you to all of the hard work that everyone has put into making the internet a slightly more pleasant place to be. Many times I have accessed this site (and others like it) and would like you all to know that it has saved my sanity and many of those around me.

Personally I have not been infected by any form of malware (well apart from the good old alexia) due to a unhealthy level of paranoia and dare I say internet snottiness (I don't like to give any of my IM details to anyone unless I've known them for ages and even then I have several accounts based on level of trust. same goes for email etc).

But have I suffered from spy-ware? That is a big yes. I work in IT providing support for users at all levels, which means I can lose a day with reactive support trying to clean up a users PC (sure I can drop down a new image, but that can be rather traumatising to users who really make their work PC their home). Also in terms of proactive support we end up looking like network Nazi's by locking down the users environment to try to provide them with a usable, stable, secure but more importantly an easily administered service. Not to mention the time we have to commit to yet another problem.

Outside of work I have wasted so many hours trying to clean up friends and colleagues PCs just because some unscrupulous group of people are trying to make a quick buck (the worst IMHO are the ones that peddle dodgy anti-spy-ware).

I have found this site very useful, not only in helping out people who have been infected, but for lowering my own level of internet anxiety.

Since I am a cheap skate, I tend to go for things that are free (and not free as in I pay with my personal information), but some things that I have used so much that I end up buying them, eg AVG and Kerio PFW (I now also have a SBKPFW licence as well - thank you SB for keeping one of my favorite products alive).

I have found the tips and recommendations of software here very useful, for example have now added Sandboxie to my arsenal. At work I have access to VMware WS and GSX, but the cost of it for home use I cannot justify. So for safe browsing I used to use Damn Small Linux (DSL) within the provided emulator for safe browsing, but boy was it slow. Recently I started using VMware player and the "Browser Appliance Virtual Machine" which they provide since this is free. Now I use Sandboxie for general browsing since it is far more resource friendly and VMware player for anything more risky.

Wow my introduction has turned into a rant... Anyway again many thanks and I hope to one day be able to provide even 1% of the support to the internet community that everyone has so far provided me.

Nice to meet you all
Moon
MadameX
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to SWW! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: