Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Privacy at Home - Tackling the Culture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyShiner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Privacy at Home - Tackling the Culture Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope I enetered this topic into the correct forum for it, but it would have fitted in several.

Regarding Spam and infringements of privacy I regard this as an issue beyond the Internet alone. As a society we are also bombarded by telephone sales calls at home (often from India if you happen to live in the UK) and endless junk-mail through our letterboxes. I believe this is symptomatic of modern business culture where no area of our lives is seen as sacred from their advertising and aggressive marketing. Therefore, I believe that this culture needs to be tackled on all fronts, otherwise no one area alone, such as the Internet will improve.

Sadly we are still in a system where we have to 'opt out' rather then 'opt in'. However, we should use those few tools given us and do so where possible if we are ever going to change or even adjust the status quo.

If you happen to live in the UK, for your telephone there is the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) which you can register for free. This will prevent you from receiving most direct marketing calls at home. Without prior permission it is illegal in the UK to send faxes to individuals, sole traders and partnerships, but if you are a company you can also register free for the Fax Preference Service (FPS). For junkmail through your letterbox you can register with the Mail Preference Service free online, and while it will take a while to start to work you will over time notice a large decline of junkmail delivered to your home. For junkmail you receive, write on the front 'Refused' with an arrow indicating your address and stick back in the postbox. According to Trading Standards 'refused' mail inccurs a higher postal charge for the company junking you then returned mail. That gets the companies in their pockets and is your way at hitting back. If enough people did it, then companies may have to rethink some of their marketing strategies.

If you live in the US or any other country it is likely that similar forms of these services exist, so it may be worth checking them out with your telephone operator and post office.

To register for these services in the UK:

Telephone Preference Service (TPS) Telephone 0845 07 007 07
Fax Preference Service (FPS) Telephone 0845 07 007 02
Mail Preference Service (MPS) http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/what/

Smiles Smile

H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: