Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Technique for removing Nail.exe

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Feedback for the Helpers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mm33926988

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Technique for removing Nail.exe Reply with quote

I posted a request for help on the Nail/Aurora spyware several days ago, but have not yet received a reply. Idea In the meantime I searched the web and found something that works well at http://codebetter.com/blogs/steve.hebert/archive/2005/07/18/129335.aspx
It involves going to command prompt mode and changing the directory for Nail.exe and then rebooting and deleting the Nail and other spyware per usual methods. By changing the directory assocoated with Nail.exe , the random name generator that keeps reinstalling Nail cannot find it and the cycle ends. Check it out.
The nail fix download suggested on your site did not remove it for me.
I greatly appreciate the information and help that you provide and I hope this helps you help others. I did not know where else to post this because I am not qualified to give advice.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm33926988,

First of all let me apologize that you did not get helped in a timely manner. We've been swamped with HijackThis logs and had a couple of people out due to illness, familly etc. Everyone here is a volunteer and has jobs, family, etc.

It would probably be a good idea for you to start a new topic in the 72 hour Bump forum (if it's been72 hours since your first post), and post a new log. Even though you got rid of nail.exe, there's a very high probability that you have other malware left. The aurora/nail infection brings other junkware along with it from where ever you got infected.

We have been blessed with some new helpers the last few days, so when you post a new log, you should get some attention fairly soon. Don't post again in your first thread becacause the helpers look for the posts with 0 replies to see who has not been helped.

The fix on that blog sounds interesting -- I have not heard that one before. There's a tool called "Nailfix" that works but it needs to be used in conjunction with other tools.

Edit to add:

I just saw this:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=15555

TheJabroniSayz wrote:
I tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get rid of Aurora/Nail and nothing worked. I was ready to just reinstall Windows XP and delete everything off my computer when I came across this website. I did the 3 steps in about 5 minutes, and I ran Hijackthis afterwards and Nail did not come up. I restarted my computer dozens of times afterwards and Nail has not reappeared. I hope this site can work for all of you.

hxxp://codebetter.com/blogs/steve.hebert/archive/2005/07/18/129335.aspx

Response:
'KotaGuy wrote:
Moving/locking topic... Instructions given on that site would not totally clean Nail. And the instructions given for changing the Winlogon Key is a no-no...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq00-052.mspx

Interestingly enough, that user, TheJabroniSayz, posted from the same IP address as you, mm33926988.

Was that you? Please do not post again with this so-called fix as it appears that it could have dangerous consequences.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Feedback for the Helpers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: