Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Spam question from newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarieBoyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Spam question from newbie Reply with quote

I have 2 computers plus my husband has one. I will refer to these three computers as "Computer 1-3." All three computers are hooked up to internet via router. All three are Windows XP.

Computer 1: I do tons of (safe) internet surfing on. With internet Explorer. Outlook email. I never get spam. Use a network email. Never once have I gotten spam!

Computer 2 & 3 are brand new: We rarely use the internet for safety reasons. Both have Firefox and Thunderbird. Both use comcast email address. Never posted the email addresses on the itnernet. Both get tons of spam.

Does anyone know why would we get tons of spam on our 2 comcast email addresses, on the computers that we are safer with? But not on the other (which uses a network email address)?

Something we can do? (We use the Thunderbird Spam filter which certainly helps.) Please note that we were attacked by Spyware before we bought Computers 2 & 3. All the while comcast email address has stayed same. (Is this the problem?)

Is there something we can do to reduce the spam on the two computers? If this is too long, my apologies. I am a newbie. Probably an easier way to ask this question. Just wanted to put as much info here as possible.
OldOnliner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing because it's not clear from your post what you mean by "network email" on PC 1. My WAG on this is:

PC 1 uses an "older" Comcast email address which has spam filtering by Comcast turned on.

PCs 2 and 3 have "newer" Comcast addresses that have never turned on Comcast anti-spam filtering.

I see very few people with inboxes full of spam nowadays thanks to excellent anti-spam filtering by almost all mail service providers. Low false positives and low filter bypass rates appear to be the rule these days. An example is Yahoo Mail whose anti-spam filtering is nothing short of remarkable, but you must turn it on as it is off by default.

As a side note, I don't see a need for individuals to employ PC-based anti-spam software unless they are retrieving mail from their own domain with a host that doesn't provide server-side (SMTP transaction level) filtering.

Have you looked at Comcast's web pages for information on preference settings and other spam-related help? Here's a link:

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecuritySpam17894
MarieBoyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

That sounds right. I will do exactly as you suggest. Very much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Spam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: