Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

malwhere.com = malware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: malwhere.com = malware Reply with quote

Hi , while going through this link from Temercs post in the Indoc forum , I came across the Malwhere application warning listed on this page:

http://clifnotes.mybesthost.com/nl/cnnl040822.htm

I couldnt see it listed on the rogues page , so I thought it might be worth looking at , I'm going to add their IPs to the spyware blocklist Very Happy

Quote:
Malwhere - is really malware
Sometimes I act against my own best intentions and take shortcuts. I could have checked this program out before I installed it but I figured I could undo any changes it made because I use Total Uninstall and I also have good antivirus and antispyware shields. I installed it and my protection softwares were all screaming "kill it!". It took me 2 hours to remove everything this program installed. Most of it seems harmless but they don't tell you about all the junk in it on the website. It had toolbars, bho's, search redirections, and something that acted like a trojan all in this neat little package.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote from the website www.malwhere.com/ ( I recommend you do not download it )
-----------------------------------------------------

Does your computer run slow or crash from time to time? If so then there might be a malicious process running on your system without you knowing about it. A process is a single executable module that runs concurrently with other executable modules, most of the processes that run on your computer are valid software that you installed, but many times its not. A Process can be a virus, Trojan or a spyware, MalWhere identifies each process and gives you information about it.:

Surprisingly negative comments at download.com Laughing >>
http://www.download.com/3302-8022_4-10287465.html?pn=1&fb=2

I dont have access to all the sites like Radio has Wink , but heres the ones I could link:

hxxp://www.malwhere.com/

http://www.whois.sc/softbulldog.com
http://www.whois.sc/www.malwhere.com
http://www.whois.sc/mediainject.com

IP Address: 207.44.232.45
IP Location: - Washington - Bellingham - Everyones Internet Inc

www.Dustat.com
www.Maileet.com
www.Malwhere.com
5 more domains found

-----------------------------

MALWHERE.COM

Registrant:
MediaInject
Haprahim 5/2
Karmiel, 20100
IL

SOFTBULLDOG.COM
Registrant:
MediaInject
Haprahim 5/2
Karmiel, 20100
IL

mediainject.com is listed in iespyad Cool

Quote:
Adware.MediaInject
Last Updated on: August 03, 2004

http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.mediainject.html

softbulldog claim not to bundle spyware , but do admit to bundling 3rd party applications : Twisted Evil

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:E3JObrK91t0J:www.softbulldog.com/free.html+MediaInject&hl=en

Quote:
Why is SoftBulldog software is free?

All the software by SoftBulldog is free and will remain free. In return for saving money to our users, we bundle 3rd party applications with our software.

This is our source of income since we do need to pay our programmers.

SoftBulldog appreciates that users may have concerns relating to the use of 'spyware' particularly in Internet advertising. No application included with our software, collects personally identifiable information about users without their consent.

SoftBulldog does not condone the use of 'spyware' and does not use 'spyware' in its software. All bundled third party applications must pass an acceptance testing procedure before bundled with our software.

Please note: SoftBulldog no longer bundle MediaInject (also known as micore or runc) with its software. If you installed a version that does include MediaInject and you want to uninstall it, please follow these instructions:

Uninstall the software that bundled MediaInject (micore/runc).
Go to "add/remove programs" on your control panel and choose to uninstall MediaInject.
If you don't see the MediaInject uninstaller on your add/remove programs, go to "\Program files\micore" and run Miuninst.exe.
If all fails, restart your computer in safe mode and delete "\Program files\micore".

wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx moore
but where is the indoc forum?
Quote:
Hi , while going through this link from Temercs post in the Indoc forum

Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Moore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , it's the indoctrination / warrior trainees forum.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that's the training forum. Cool

Moore, thanks for posting that. What will they think of next? Evil or Very Mad
radio
Moderator & HJT Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the rest of the domains on that ip#...

8 domains found on 207.44.232.45
Showing all 8.

Website
www.Dustat.com
www.Maileet.com
www.Malwhere.com
www.Mediainject.com
www.Popstarsscreensavers.com
www.Sigster.com
www.Softbulldog.com
www.Yadaware.com
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

Well, SoftBulldog wasn't lying when they promised to bundle third-party applications. It installs:

BargainBuddy
CommonName
Ie Driver
NetPal
Favoriteman
Promulgate
UrlBlaze
Win32.Wintrim.Trojan.B

They can try the "we-used-a-EULA-so-it's-not-spyware" argument all they want; the fact is, the bundled software is precisely the kind of software that most folks don't want and deserve to be warned about.

The host application itself is a lame process viewer/killer -- not normally the kind of application that would be listed on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page. Because they do advertise its potential usefulness for spyware detection, it will be added to the rogues page.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
Moore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking a look Smile

That's one more down , only fifty thousand more to go .. Razz
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, well - Malwhere is no longer available at Download.com.

http://www.download.com/MalWhere/3000-8022_4-10287465.html?tag=stbc.gp

Clap Man
Xantar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: .. no Reply with quote

whoever wrote this poop about malwhere is wrong. im working with it since 2 years. it is true that it coms with 2 ad programs, which can EASY be uninstalled. Malwhere is NOT malware. It scans your running procersses and gets infos about them from google. then a number will be displayed near each process. that number indicates how dangerous a procces is. if it find dangerous spyware or other stuff it will be about 100%.

I RECCOMEND this software. it is very good. and before talking poop about things that you dont know of you should test it. I am using it and it works good and helps me a lot.
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Xantar, assuming you use this software, I gotta ask - did it remove the spyware that came with it?

Furthermore... How can you have used it for 2 years? Malwhere.com was created on 03 may 2004. That's not two years.

With all due respect, either you are some kind of an affiliate or very ill-informed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. maybe its not 2 years. and I removed the AD programs that came with it within 1 minute. It installes just 2 programs. a searchbar that shows up directly above the windows taskbar and some other program. but as i sayd. no worms or other stuff. and yes. it scanned my processes and indicated the programs that came with it as spy/ad ware.

i think that this post was made to stop others from using this software to detect spyware. or it was made by anothe anti spyware program producing company. everytime i use this program im happy with it.

and im not an affiliate.. i just dont like it if people write stuff about things they dont know and not tested. the net if full of idiots talking poop. and seeing that websites already stop distributing this software because of lies makes me very sorry. i dunno..

it maybe that we are talking about.. 2 different softwares..
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same product. Now, about the spyware that comes with it - Can you trust something that puts spyware on your computer to protect your privacy? Ad-Aware(although Ad-Aware has had some bad publicity recently), SpyBot and Microsoft Anti-Spyware hasn't done anything like this. Now, about those 2 programs... that's not really accurate. It actually installs 8 of them, and it's not limited to adware and spyware! Read this blog report on this subject - http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/2004/09/13/

About them telling you what's included of spyware and adware, this was what got them kicked off download.com - they failed to inform the user what he was getting along with the program itself.
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: .. no Reply with quote

Xantar wrote:
whoever wrote this sh*t about malwhere is wrong. im working with it since 2 years. it is true that it coms with 2 ad programs, which can EASY be uninstalled. Malwhere is NOT malware. It scans your running procersses and gets infos about them from google. then a number will be displayed near each process. that number indicates how dangerous a procces is. if it find dangerous spyware or other stuff it will be about 100%.

I RECCOMEND this software. it is very good. and before talking sh*t about things that you dont know of you should test it. I am using it and it works good and helps me a lot.

And I got a thing for you, it is what we called hidden spyware, not all you install WhenU, but you may install an addional program with a certian trojan that will download the f1Orgnizer wich then will download 15 other programs to kill your system and possably install keloggers in addion with it, and that is how it works really, so please get off the boards or get banned bub.
sg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fellow is trolling my weblog (*) too, where I have written a review about MalWhere several month ago. I still have an older version of MalWhere, thats full of spyware. The current version seems a little bit cleaner, but I would never ever recommend to use a software that brings hidden adware with it -- real spyware or not.

*) http://www.smokinggun.de/index.php?p=59
Xantar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had these programs i would know it. i use antivir, adaware and malwhere. and about if i trust a program that installs ad ware. yes of course. ad ware does not damage your system (some do.. but not the ones included in malwhere).

And since its free they need a way to get money. and if ad ware is their way. fine. if you dont like it, just dont use it. but stop talk about it as if your system is in high danger if u install it. my system works fine with malwhere and malwhere helps me if i have a problem. the system of my mother (i installed malwhere at her pc 1 month ago to get rid of spyware and a dialer.) works perfect too.

and now. if all this bad bad stuff gets installed to my system.. tell me where i can find it. i want to see where all the bad software is hiding. scanning my pc with antivir shows NO viruses or trojans related to malwhere.

@ Chao284: me getting off this board? maybe ur right. if someone sees me around here with a couple of people talking s*** withoug having a proov would get me into a bad situation.

edit: if i get banned then this is just a proof that ur not capable of having a discussion with someone who has some knowlege. fooling others by saying "dont install it coz it damages ur system" is easy. but .. proof it and i excuse me 100 times.. just stop talking. show me the bad trojans. show me that they are being installed together with malwhere.
sg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your proof:

http://www.smokinggun.de/wp-content/upload/malwhere1.jpg

That's what I got when I installed MalWhere on a fresh computer last autumn.
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To supplement sg's excellent post - http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrah.html
There you can read about the trojan to which the dp-him.exe is related to. "atpartners.dll" is related to the FavoriteMan parasite/spyware component. By the way, we wouldn't lie about products as that would be against the entire thing this, along with many other dedicated websites, stand for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SG and Nemesis for even more proof , something tells me it wont be enough though to convince Xantar.

Quote:
i think that this post was made to stop others from using this software to detect spyware. or it was made by anothe anti spyware program producing company. everytime i use this program im happy with it.

You are entitled to you own opinion Xantar , and it's your choice to continue using adware/spyware installing programs on your own computer..

I would be more inclined to believe Eric's initial test of the program before I believe any of your comments..

And I will continue to post here about any programs and sites that I find that just cant be trusted , as I 'm sure everyone else who is a member / staff member here will continue to do as well. That's what helps makes this forum so good.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xantar,

Please read the forum guidlines here:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

Quote:
Keep it clean.
Respect other forum users.
Use common sense.

Thank you.

The forum moderators and admins retain the right to edit and / remove inappropriate posts. Inappropriate posts include offensive rudeness to other forum members or guests, foul language, flaming, trolling, linking to a site that would be considered offensive by most people, spamming the forums with advertisements, posting any links to or information about hacking/cracking sites or info, and links to download copyrighted material using P2P software. Anyone posting inapproprite material is subject to having their posts deleted and being suspended or banned permanently.

Please note also that no advertising is allowed. Please do not post in order to advertise your product or your website. Posts deemed by the forum admins to be of that nature are subject to being edited and / or deleted.

Edited on Dec. 10, 2004 to add:

Please note that Private Messages are just that - private. Posting the contents of privates messages is not acceptable unless both parties agree it it.

If you read this page:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

you will note that the author of the page did test MalWhere. The statements made have been substantiatedby a number of people.

Last edited by suzi on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xantar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for my bad language. and yes.. this proof does not convince me coz it does not show if all these viruses come from from malwhere. and as i say. i had absolutly no problems with malwhere or after i installed it. So.. if all these tojans/viruses are being installed together with malwhere... why dont they show up on any antivir scan? (antivir is the same program that has been used it this "proof".
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it kind of does proove that it came from MalWhere. Notice the the installation dialog box in the top right corner of the screenshot. Those files were caught by real-time protection, so you can't argue that he already had spyware on his computer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again.. i use an updated version of antivir too. i will get a new pc today. it will be formatted and... of couse i will install malwhere. before i do that i will install antivir and update it. if i get no warning, then this will show that malwhere is just a good program.
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Greek Tragedy Reply with quote

Hi Xantar

I use AntiVir on this machine
It will not aleart you to trojans
after you instal Malwhere try Diamond computer Systems TDS3
In fact try it on you old machine
looks as if you might want to buy Spy Cop also

what operating system did you say you were running
if xp run the beta of ms anti spyware
let us know what false positives YOU find

Wyrmrider
Xantar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. it should be enough to use antivir, coz the person who tested it used it too. im not gonna buy anything, coz antivir and the windows xp updated kept my pc clean. im going to use some of my old pc's components on the new pc (the harddrives and my grahpics card) so i wont be able to use my old pc anymore.

If antivir finds soemthing hey. then im sorry for the posts and uninstall malwhere.
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: good luck with new pc Reply with quote

Hi

for anti trojans
EWIDO and A-Squared are free for individual use

are you on cable?

I, personally, would turn off xp firewall and use at least zone alarm
it protects from outbound et phone home type threats-

a Host file can also help break the communication link between drive by downloads and hostile attachments/ p2p etc and their home base

also MS anti spyware is free and would provide some real time protection.

antivir by itself, while a fine AV (if you are on high speed internet) it is not industrial strength against trojans

an ounce of prevention...
keep us posted
Malwhere tester, and thanks

are u using internet explorer?

Wyrmrider
Xantar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTERNET EXPLORER???? rofl.. err.. no
i use moyilla firefox
and im on dsl. i just finished setting up my new pc. malwhere is not installed yet.. this trojan and spyware stuff scared me abit...
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: as well it should Reply with quote

I use firefox on this machine for almost everything except windows update and a couple of other things that will not run with firefox

I'd suggest mvps hosts works with both
spyware blaster has some mozilla support
then for some active protection I'd go with MS anti spyware
you do not have to run the scanner
as with all of these apps (including malwhere) google all suspected items before removal for false positives

if that is not ok then
pest patrol real time is free (it's the removal capability that costs)
(Win Patrol is a good back up)

depends on if you surf bad spots or use p2p

if none of the above are ok with U then Spybot>mode>advanced> resident = t-timer
the Hosts there will not hurt either but is not updated as often as mvps

I like CCleaner with Mozilla it does a good job of mozilla clean up

If you go into the unknown- spywareguard uses heuristics so can catch some things that are not well known

Keep us posted on your testing

thanks

wyrmrider

Last edited by wyrmrider on Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimmytop
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: as well it should Reply with quote

wyrmrider wrote:

if that is not ok then
pest patrol real time is free (it's the removal capability that costs)

Do you have a link for the free pest patrol real time? I can't find it
Thanks
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: just download pest patrol or goto computer automation site Reply with quote

http://www.pestpatrol.com

PP is free for individuals as is the scan engine- what you pay for as an individual is the removal capability (watch for fp's with all software)
unlike Spysweeper and others the "Update" still works after the trial
so you can use it as a backup scan only. It does find some things others do not. (and some fp's which they seem to try and work on unlike some other companies we will not mention here
fyi
from pp help

What is PestPatrol?

Welcome to PestPatrol! PestPatrol is the best way to find unwanted software in your machine. PestPatrol is available in two licensed configurations: standard and corporate.

The standard edition of the product includes a scanner with a graphical interface ("PestPatrol.exe"), a Command-Line scanner ("PestPatrolCL.exe") that can be configured for scheduled scans, an active memory scanner ("PPMemCheck.exe") that checks all code executing in you computer, two more pest detection components that automatically check for spyware cookies ("CookiePatrol.exe") and key logger pests ("KeyPatrol.exe"), and a controller ("PPControl.exe") to easily control the execution of the different PestPatrol components.

The corporate edition of the product adds two agents to the standard version for execution with Check Point Software Technologies' products in a network environment. The first agent is for Check Point's Content Vectoring Protocol (CVP) security infrastructure ("PPCVP.exe"), and the second is for Check Point's VPN-1 SecureClient Secure Configuration Verification (SCV) protocol ("PPSCV.exe").

PestPatrol works much like a virus scanner, using "scan strings" or a "pattern file" to search for known pests. These files need to be updated, but PestPatrol makes that easy with various updating capabilities.

Often, when you find a pest, you may want to learn more before dispatching it. PestPatrol includes a file analysis capability, and presents considerable information on each pest found. You can learn about various kinds of pests in this help file and on our web site, as well. If you don't wish to delete the pest immediately, you may quarantine it or ignore it.

PestPatrol can search for what bothers you, and skip what you want to keep. For instance, while PestPatrol can find all sorts of hacker tools, you don't need to search for them. And while it can find most spyware, you can bypass detection of spyware cookies or components. And if PestPatrol identifies a file you cherish as a pest, you can exclude that file from further scans.

The following table identifies the PestPatrol components.

Component
Description Operating
System PestPatrol
Versions**
PestPatrol.exe
On-demand scanning of disk(s) for pest files and spyware cookies. Windows* S, C

PestPatrolCL.exe Command line scanning of disk(s). Especially suited for scheduling background scanning with the task scheduler. Windows* S, C

PPMemCheck
Scans active memory for pests. Windows* S, C

PPControl
PestPatrol Controller Windows* S, C

PPUpdater Updates all of the PestPatrol family of products. Especially useful for batch processing. Windows* S, C

CookiePatrol Scans cookie directory for spyware cookies. Scheduled every 30 seconds by PPMemCheck. Windows* S, C

KeyPatrol
Scans active memory for key loggers. Windows* S, C

PPCVP
PestPatrol Agent for Check Point's Content Vectoring Protocol (CVP). Windows* C

PPSCV PestPatrol Agent for Check Point's Secure Configuration
Verification (SCV). WinNT
Win2000
WinXP C

* Windows: 95/98/98se/ME/NT/2000/XP
** S Standard Edition, C - Corporate Edition

PestPatrol has many options, but you don't need to study them all before you begin. All defaults are "intelligent", and all you need to do is chose the area you wish to scan, and press the "Scan" button. With PestPatrolCL.exe, all you need to do is double-click on it to scan all of your local hard drives. So let's get started.
jimmytop
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was looking for is a pest patrol real time protection? It doesn't sound like there is such a thing, it's just scan? Reason being, I test this stuff and hadn't tested that one yet.
Thanks!
jimmytop
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been thru Pest Patrol's site (again) and there is no free anything for antispyware. There is an online scanner but those are farely useless to me.
The Trial Edition costs 20 bucks! Wow, a trial version that costs money...LOL
http://store.ca.com/dr/sat3/ec_main.entry25?page=TrialwareCenter&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715

Goodbye Pest Patrol...
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: brain fade Reply with quote

http://www.download.com/eTrust-PestPatrol-Anti-Spyware/3000-8022_4-10345714.html?tag=lst-0-1

give it a shot and let us know

wyrmrider
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: