Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Transferring file to a new laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanzFrancisco
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Transferring file to a new laptop Reply with quote

I am really annoyed at a group named Laplink. I purchased software, PCMover, to transfer files from my 8 year old pc to a new one, and it promised to make the process easy and wthout problems. Of course, my old laptop has some corrupt files which disable the transfer completely. So, the 24/7 assistance service scanned my files and offered to do a one time clean up for $99.99.
Don't ALL old computers have errors?!? Is this just a scam? I suppose I'll have to take three days to do this manually.

What a rip off!!
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest and quickest way I've found to transfer files, is via a plug in USB drive.

The drive is first plugged into the "old" machine, where provided it has enough capacity, the entire "Documents" folder can be copied onto it.

It's then transferred to the "new" machine, when the copied files are transferred to it.

The only limitation is the data writing speed of the USB drive, but if you get a USB 3.0 drive (and your original computer has a USB 3.0 port) then unless you have a huge number of files to transfer then the procedure is fairly swift and fairly painless.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
SanzFrancisco
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gary. I was afraid it would come to this.
Can I also transfer programs this way, or do I need to find the setup files, or CD for each one?
Gary R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your programs will need to be installed on your new machine, so you'll need the relevant installer files.

When a program installs it doesn't just copy files into the relevant folders, it also installs drivers, and modifies your Registry so that it can call the appropriate program and system resources when you launch the program.

So, you can transfer your personal data files (photos, tunes, videos, text files etc ) using the method I described earlier, but your programs cannot be moved that way.

You can move your address book, and your bookmarks (favorites), and if you want to know how to do that I'd be happy to describe how, I just need to know which OS you had on your old machine, and what OS is on your new one.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
SanzFrancisco
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Yes please Reply with quote

Gary, I will certainly appreciate your direction in transferring my address book and such. At first, I was wanting to transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I hate Windows 10, and am now wanting to transfer from 7 to 7. My laptop is physically broken, the screen is separating from the base, so after I purchased a new one with Windows 10, I realized I could not deal with the OS. So I took the new pc back to the store, and have found a used laptop that still has Windows 7.

Any assistance you can give me is most welcome.

janice
Gary R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to give you appropriate instructions for moving your bookmarks/favorites I'll need to know which browser you're using (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc) if IE I'll need to know which version.

For your address book I'll need to know which e-mail client you're using (Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express etc)

SanzFrancisco
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox 48.0
Gary R

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To export your bookmarks from your old machine ....

• Start Firefox.
  • Click on Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export bookmarks to html
  • A Export Bookmarks File window will open.
  • Save the file to your USB drive.

To import them onto your new machine ....

• With the USB drive plugged into your new machine ...
  • Start Firefox.
  • Click on Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import bookmarks from html
  • A Import Bookmarks File window will open.
  • Navigate to the html file you saved earlier to your USB drive and click on Open.

SanzFrancisco
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Gary Reply with quote

I'm having success. I will donate. Cheers

janice
Gary R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked for you, thanks for the donation it is much appreciated. Big Thumb Up

If you need help with anything else please feel free to ask. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: