Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Phone call claiming to be from Microsoft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Phone call claiming to be from Microsoft Reply with quote

Hello, I've received 3 calls claiming to be from Microsoft over the last 4 months. They know my name and Microsoft would have my name and number as I worked in IT for 30 years and have registered products with them.

The phone number displayed on the phone is 2001 nothing else. The caller claims my PC is infected with malware and is broadcasting information over the internet. It feels like a spear phishing attempt. I've told the caller I don't trust the call. He passes me off to a supervisor, I hang up before the call completes the transfer. I get a call back. I Tell the supervisor the same thing and that I will take care of the infection myself and hangup.

Have any of you herd of this before?

Take care, Doug
Gary R

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a spear fishing attempt to me as well.

There's absolutely no way that Microsoft are going to call up individual computer owners to advise them that they've got malware on their machine (or to deal with any other kind of service matter), so anyone making such a claim is trying to scam you.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

Check this link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

The calls you got sound like this scam. Microsoft has a page for reporting these calls.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=scamsurvey&ccsid=636034164890310183

If they call you again maybe you can ask where hey are calling from and the name of the company.
dsummerbell10
Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got the same exact calls! Glad to know that i'm not the only one and that its potentially some sort of phishing scheme.
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary and Suzi,

Good to hear from you and thank you for the reply it is much appreciated.

99.999% of me knew it was a scam call, but since they asked to talk to "Doug" that .0001% made me wonder. During the call in the background you could hear voices and the clatter of keyboards. So, it was a large operation or that was canned to make it sound legit.

Suzi, thank you for the links I checked them out and it does sound similar and I did fill out Microsoft's form.

Thank you again,

Doug

P.s. Glad you are still out there. Smile
Doug Taylor
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dsummerbell10,

Yes, somehow knowing you're not alone is comforting. Did your phone the call as being from 2001?

...and never give them any information they will use it against you.

Take care,

Doug
Gary R

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Doug. Very Happy

Calls of this type have become a worldwide problem, and earlier this week I had one similar to the one you had, and I'm in the UK.

Family and friends often call me up about these kind of calls, seeking reassurance that there's nothing actually wrong with their machine.

This despite the fact that I've repeatedly told them that any call of this nature is a scam, no matter how plausible the caller's story may appear to be.

But then people feel vulnerable about the security of their computers, and of course that is what the scammers count on.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

Glad to help and good that you filled out the Microsoft form. They have shut down a few of these operations but it's an uphill battle. Educating folks is the best protection - if no one fell for the scams, they would stop.

Good to see you here.

Suzi Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: