Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

protocol analyzer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: protocol analyzer ? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a freeware sniffer with 802.1.1 features and capable of simultaneous capture across multiple adapters? I have Capsa and other commercial wares for my own use. However, I've been helping a friend layout his SOHO and home LAN. His budget doesn't provide for high $ wares.

TIA

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Gary R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireshark is about the best free protocol analyser I know of .... http://www.wireshark.org/

Whether it can do all that your friend requires I couldn't say offhand. It's a long time since I've had any real cause to use it, and I know its been updated a lot since I last did.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Wireshark/Ethreal has always been the choice tool to ensure that the entire stack is monitored. BTW I have many other tools that also use the WinPCap stack. However, it doesn't allow for multiple adapters/networks in simultaneous use within a single node.

I too have not used Wireshark in a long time. When I think of an analyzer today, I think of more and friendly network diagnostics. An example would be the tool I mentioned earlier...Capsa; http://www.colasoft.com/capsa/features.php And, of course for forensics, we now have so many more 'specialized' tools to monitor services and investigate incidents with.

Oh well, I'll figure out something. I've been known to get pretty creative when networking. Smile

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot; thx for the suggestion.

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Gary R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had a feeling it didn't do multiple simultaneous captures, but I didn't know whether it had been updated to include that capability or not.

Off hand I can't think of anything that's free that does, but if I come across anything I'll be sure to let you know about it.

Capsa looks interesting, but I can see why your friend might blanche a bit at the price if they didn't have a distinct and professional need for it.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: