Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Help with choosing free AV/Firewall etc....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabreman
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Help with choosing free AV/Firewall etc.... Reply with quote

Hello all,
Following my last battle against nasties, successful thanks to Spyware again ( nb Warrior Cypher rah rah ! ), all remains peaceful and well-behaved . [Fingers x'd, hit wood etc...]

Could Warriors help me again please.

My Bullguard subscription is coming up for renewal in a couple of weeks. I am running XP.

Any suggestions or advice about whether to renew the Bullguard, or switch to a free AV/ Firewall provider instead ?
( Securitywise, I have Malabites and AFT cleaner from past Spyware advice, all doing well.)
I also have (I suppose) anything Windows "gave" me at the start.

Alumni will know well that I am not in the first rank of techness so please, as usual, be gentle with me... Rolling Eyes Smile
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sabreman,

In terms of excellent free AV's, IMHO, its a close race between the free versions of Avast and Avira. Although Avira detections are a hair better, lately I have switched to Avast because the automatic updates in the new version of Avira seldom work. Many people are trying the free Microsoft security Essentials, but I am still dubious. And I don't want to be predictable.

Malware bytes is an excellent after the fact scanner but does little for up front protection. So for hips and host files, I run spybot S&D with tea timer, spyware blaster, the comodo firewall, iobit360, and win patrol. And yes, I run win XP as an OS, and firefox. And to check for security holes and outdated prtograms, Secunia PSI. For addition protection you could web surf using a limited account.

I certainly will not maintain that I have the best possible security system, or that other programs could not be used, but this is the security system I have running now as something I regard as lean. But as many on this forum say, computer security is a way of life, and not just a set of programs.

I hope that helps sabreman, but the other thing to point out, is that the bad guys keep getting better and therefore computer security systems have to change with the times.
sabreman
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Late reply........... Reply with quote

Hi Osage - sorry about delay, been rather busy.

I did as you suggested - d/loaded Avast, which seems to be fine.

However, I went for the Comodo Firewall, and had great trouble getting it on.
I managed to d/load the installer, but then every time I tried to go further, it froze the whole PC up.
Had to reboot each time.
Longest I left it saying "installing.." was 50 mins, with no progress observed.

I gave up and installed the Windows Firewall as a stopgap - unless you think it'll do me.

I did have Spybot at one time, but after some problems it was taken off during a "HiJack This etc.." course of treatment - for a virus that had got through Bullguard & Spybot.
I have deleted Bullguard OK and Avast is merrily spinning away, and I presume the Windows wall is working OK.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sabreman,

Two comments.

(1) Sadly, unlike the Vista and Win 7 firewall, the XP firewall is only one way. It has some protection against incoming, but lacks any outgoing protections or log files. If you can't get comodo going, you might try the free online armor firewall. Or some other competitor.

(2) Like I said, security systems are moving targets, as long as you don't get hacked, there may be no reason to change.

But that old adage always applies, there never was a horse that could not be rode and never a rider that couldn't be throw-ed.

Knock on wood for me, my security system has kept me safe, but lots of other systems including sand boxing the OS to use, if you do ever get got. My motto is, gotta stay flexible and be open to new ideas. Hopefully other forum members will weigh in on this thread.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free 'Online Armor'

I find it harder to recommend products today than how it used to be. With so many sec tools available now (mostly scams), it is harder to pick and choose. Also, when recommending products, the user abilities must be a consideration.

I can't recommend the tools I use as an end point solution because they are designed for admin and not the casual user...like the Snort IDS(host based). This leaves me a little bit out of touch with common use.

However, I've been doing some recent informal testing of some of the more respected tools in the HIPS category. Of the products examined so far, I find OnlineArmor to be the most user friendly and with equal or better HIPS protection. It also has a strong user base and plenty of help and refs.

HIPS filtering/firewalling is essential today. Remember; " If it can't initiate, it can't infect."

I think that's about 2c worth. Smile

Hey Osage, how ya doing?..been a while. Smile

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS BTW OnlineArmor also has what I consider a prerequisite for any HIPS tool, a 'learning mode'.

-
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey says, "Hey Osage, how ya doing?..been a while. Smile"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying to stay safe from the bad guys. But for what its worth, Mikey,
you were the person who somewhat inspired me to turn to Hips and host files, as well as a prevention based security system.

As Susie points out, and sadly IMHO, this forum is not the dynamic debate center it used to be two or three years ago, but I still try to touch base frequently to see what new nasty tricks the bad guys are up to.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...this forum is not...

As far as I can tell, it seems a very large chunk of the global pri/sec community has grown stagnant. It's like they don't know which way to go now or they just don't care. Most are still doing things exactly the same way we did things a decade ago. Many still maintain the very same content to this day.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't understand. Perhaps it's just a rash of burnouts like what has been suggested in other threads. I don't know but it is very disappointing.

-
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:
Quote:
...this forum is not...

As far as I can tell, it seems a very large chunk of the global pri/sec community has grown stagnant. It's like they don't know which way to go now or they just don't care. Most are still doing things exactly the same way we did things a decade ago. Many still maintain the very same content to this day.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't understand. Perhaps it's just a rash of burnouts like what has been suggested in other threads. I don't know but it is very disappointing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems to me that Mikey has raised a very important question.

But as a somewhat chess player, let me take a stab in the dark.

Because chess is a game I play with friends, as I try to do the meanest nastiest thing I can think of to my friend, as I realize, at the same time, my friend will try to do the meanest nastiest thing to me. And in the game of chess, the winner is not the player who necessarily played their game better, its instead the player, who played their opponents game better from their side of the board.
As the winner better anticipated their opponents threads, headed them off at the pass, and then threats neutralized, can develop their offense at their opponents weak points.

As a corollary, as a chess player, I can ask myself, what would I do if I were the bad guy trying to hack your computer? Maybe therein lies the rub and the answer to the Mikey question.

If I were the bad guy, why should I work and work and work hard to hack all computers, when I can find an endless supply of computer security ignorant users, that are easy to hack. The people on this forum have already made the efforts years ago to become computer security aware, and hence why should the "bad guys" chase the security aware, when there is easier game to be had that take almost zero hacker effort.

So this forum can refocus our efforts to fixing the damage hackers do to the computers of the security unaware after the fact, a noble role in itself, but this forum is seemingly losing that other role it used to have, in educating the computer security unaware so they are not easily hacked in the first place.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I can't edit my post in this forum, there is another thing to point out, not only are computer hackers always a least a half step ahead of the "good guys" , it always points out that an adequate computer security system is always a moving target.

I do check this forum and other computers security forums to see what the bad guys are up to, and this forum could do a better job at
at warning about the the latest new hacker exploits. Forewarned is for armed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: