Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

External hard drive won't show up in my computer. Help ASAP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: External hard drive won't show up in my computer. Help ASAP! Reply with quote

Hi I have a seagate 1.5 tb external drive and for over a year it has had problems showing up in my computer. Shocked It shows up in the device manager and disk management, but not in my computer so I can't access it. Thankfully I backed up my files to another drive, before yesterday when it seemed to go on the fritz for good. (I hope not Crying or Very sad ) Last year when the drive wouldn't show up, my mother suggested to unplug it and plug it back it in and that would work whenever it wouldn't show up until yesterday. I tried that several times, I changed the outlet that the plug goes into, I uninstalled from device manager and checked disk management. Nothing! Mad This is driving me up a wall, because I need this drive to work and it refuses to show up in my computer, but shows up everywhere else! Rolling Eyes

Actually I did notice something I found strange that may be of use to you guys. In device manager the USB mass storage device had a exclamation point. Also in disk management the drive shows up as being black and unallocated (whatever that means Question ) Maybe that can be of some use to you and I hope so because I have no idea what to do.

If you can't help, please point to someone who can.

Thanks
Kimberly
Moderator & HJT Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi leader2,

You need to install chipset identification software. Expand the USB mass storage device and have a look which brand it is. It will most likely be Intel. If so, head to this page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=19596&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

Download and install the INF Update Utility. You will be asked to reboot once setup is completed.

Once that done, your drive might show up properly in the diskmanagement console.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: