Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

"Best Buy 'PC App' " preinstalled with Best Buy co

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: "Best Buy 'PC App' " preinstalled with Best Buy co Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase a new laptop, and am trying to decide between these two:

1. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%C2%AE+Core+i3+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1243072.p?id=1218240381935&skuId=1243072

2. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPC-EA36FX-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B0044T2OSE/ref=sr_1_18?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1289460654&sr=1-18

Laptop #1 was recommended to me by a very computer-savvy friend of mine (and I noticed that Laptop #2 has the exact same hardware [and software] specs. but ironically, the price is more expensive than Laptop #1).

However, Laptop #1 comes with a bit of software that I've never seen before nor heard of before: "Best Buy 'PC App' ". anyone know anything about it? and/or what it does? or even, if it's necessary [to have] or not?

Because I really don't want to have any crapware in my new computer, and would rather just uninstall any crapware (even that "Best Buy 'PC App' " if it's crapware) than keep it in my system. And if necessary, I'm even willing to go as far as using PC-Decrapifier to get rid of any crapware in my new computer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PC from BestBuy recently and it too came with that Best Buy app pre-installed. It forces you to accept it the first time you boot up the PC but you can uninstall it afterward.

All it is that I could see is a link a software store, so to speak, on their website. I uninstalled it with no adverse effects.
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
I bought a PC from BestBuy recently and it too came with that Best Buy app pre-installed. It forces you to accept it the first time you boot up the PC but you can uninstall it afterward.

All it is that I could see is a link a software store, so to speak, on their website. I uninstalled it with no adverse effects.
did you uninstall it with "PC Decrapifier", the "Add/Remove Programs" Uninstall feature of Windows (I don't know if you have Windows XP, Vista, 7, 2000, or whatnot, but I am currently using Windows XP Professional [with] Service-Pack-3), "Revo Uninstaller" or any other uninstallation program, or what did you use to uninstall the "Best Buy 'PC App' "?

(by the way, thank you so much for your reply Suzi Very Happy. it was extremely helpful and informative in figuring out what to do about that Best Buy "PC App").

--> to anyone else reading this: any response is welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Windows 7 pc and I uninstalled it from the Contol Panel add/remove programs. I didn't use anything extra. I don't think it has anything malicious, it's primary a link, like a web shortcut as far as I could see.

Here it is online. The "app" was just a link to that webpage.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PC/Best+Buy+pc+app/pcmcat200300050008.c?id=pcmcat200300050008
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
It's a Windows 7 pc and I uninstalled it from the Contol Panel add/remove programs. I didn't use anything extra. I don't think it has anything malicious, it's primary a link, like a web shortcut as far as I could see.

Here it is online. The "app" was just a link to that webpage.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PC/Best+Buy+pc+app/pcmcat200300050008.c?id=pcmcat200300050008
it definitely seems like a time waster then. especially if it's just a link.

(not to mention a hard-drive-space waster, and a RAM waster).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: