Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Bad hard drive or windows XP corrupt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santascott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Bad hard drive or windows XP corrupt? Reply with quote

I bought a new computer about a year ago and everything up till now was fine. Recently, however I will turn the computer on and it will run check disc before windows xp starts. sometimes it will run check disc several times a day. At times windows will not load at all so I have to run COMODO time machine at startup and role the computer back a day, then it seems to work fine. My main question is is the hard drive going bad or is windows xp corrupt? How can you determine which problem it is? are there any programs out there {hopefully free} That wil tell me for sure if the hard drive is ok? I just purchased windows 7 so if xp is the problem I will run 7.If xp is the problem will 7 install correctly? Thanks for all your help
PapaSmurf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test the hard drive determine what brand of hard drive you have. You can check the Bios/Setup to find out or run SIW or Belarc Advisor. Go to that manufacturer's support site and download their Self Booting Diagnostic CD ISO image, create the CD using the Burn From Image option (see http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm for more information on doing this), then boot to it and run the most exhaustive tests available. If you have a Toshiba drive you will need to use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test as Toshiba doesn't supply their own. http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: