Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Removal of Kaspersky 2010 trial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deedee62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Removal of Kaspersky 2010 trial Reply with quote

I am really hoping that someone here can help me as I am weary from trying to solve this problem myself!! Last week I (stupidly) downloaded a trial version of Kaspersky, I then decided to renew my McAfee subscription and tried to uninstall Kaspersky. Having trawled though lots of forums I downloaded a tool that was recomended called 'Kavremover.exe' I ran this and it appeared to remove it, however now every time I turn on my laptop a defrag begins with hundreds of Kaspersky files which just runs and runs forever so I usually end up pressing the 'esc' button to continue booting up. I then found another piece of advise saying to download 'JV16 Power Tools' after you had run the 'Kavremover.exe' I ran a registry scan and lo and behold there were all the Kaspersky files! It removed some but on 6 of them I got an 'access denied' message which meant they couldnt be deleted...please help!!!
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have both Kaspersky and McAfee installed at the same time? That was not a good thing if you did.

Kaspersky removes easily using the Add/Remove app in the Control Panel - I've uninstalled it and many times when installing new versions.

For the best help, I advise you go directly to the Kaspersky support forums. I've received excellent help there several times.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/

For what it's worth, in my experience, Kaspersky has much better protection than McAfee any day as it is quicker to add detections for new malware.
deedee62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that advice Suzi. No I didnt have both installed at the one time. The reason I installed Kaspersky in the first place was because I remembered a guy on spyware warrior recomending it to me a couple of yrs ago when he fixed a problem that I had with a virus, but I have been reading really negative stuff about it causing problems on people's systems and then when I tried to delete it I discoved it removes your access to the 'add/remove' section in you control panel which I was not happy about at all. And now despite having uninstalled it there are remnants still remaining on my system which are denying me access and not allowing me to remove, so whatever confidence I had in it before all this started I have absolutely none now, I find the whole thing really sinister to be honest and wouldn't advise anyone to even consider installing it on their system.
deedee62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else has any other advise to add to Suzi's I'd be happy to hear it...I really want to remove this entirely from my computer.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I've never had any real problems with it and I've been using it since before it was very well known, about 2003. I'm currently running KIS on 4 computers.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the most knowledgable people at the Kaspersky forums, not here. This forum is pretty quiet now and I don't think there are many, if any, Kaspersky users here besides me.

One thing you could try is system restore. Restore to a point before you installed the trial if possible.
deedee62

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the helpful advise. I started up my laptop just a while ago and it went through the defrag thing again and there are literally hundreds of Kaspersky files still showing up. I will try the system restore and if that doesnt sort it out I will go on to the Kaspersky forum.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you get it taken care of. Good luck to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: