Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Iphone, Siteadvisor, and internet connection questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LetsBeHopeful

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Iphone, Siteadvisor, and internet connection questions Reply with quote

I want to get an Iphone, but have wondered about something. You can use the internet on the Iphone, but I've heard before that using the internet on a cell phone isn't safe or secure. Can you tell me why this is? And if I were to use Amazon or check my email on the Iphone, would I risk someone intercepting my information?

Lately with Siteadvisor it won't display the user comments. If I try http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/google.com for example, it lists the user review summary, but not the user comments. Is it like this for anyone else?

I have a laptop that I DO NOT want connecting to the internet. It is a Windows Vista laptop. Is there any way to make sure that no one using that laptop or anyone in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth distance can't access the internet or that computer? I'd rather not have to install a program on there to prevent it, but is there any settings I can mess around with so internet access and connecting to that computer can't happen?
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, why do you not want to connect your laptop to the internet?

Secondly, as for the security of the using of the internet from your phone, I'm not too sure of the implications. However, I regularly use the internet from my phone - even for internet banking and have no reason to believe that it is insecure to do so.

I went to site advisor and also for me it not showing comments.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really concerned about security when using a smart phone online, you might consider getting a BlackBerry. BlackBerry is considered to be the most secure phone for a number of reasons. There are no viruses or malware that will run on it. It has never been hacked. It is not affected by browser exploits. Of course you still need to use common sense on the internet whether you're using a phone or a computer or other device like the iPad.

This article might be helpful.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-01/news/ct-biz-0602-smartphone-security-20100601_1_smart-phones-mobile-phone-malware
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I regularly use the internet from my phone - even for internet banking and have no reason to believe that it is insecure to do so.

The encrypted SSL connection that is used in banking is indeed a very secure one.

However, many folks are in the habit of using the same PW for everything. And since 'everything' isn't transfered with SSL, the PWs used for such things as email, messaging, logins, etc. go out in plain text and can and DO get captured.

Those who have been around a while know better but for those of you who don't; NEVER use your banking PW anywhere else regardless of what device you're using. You really shouldn't use the same PW for any two or more things and you shouldn't store your PWs anywhere unencrypted.

I didn't notice this issue mentioned in the article Suzi posted but it should be as it is a contributor to identity theft related to banking fraud.

JMO

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
LetsBeHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
Firstly, why do you not want to connect your laptop to the internet?

That's the computer I write on and I use a different computer for the internet. There's no reason for that computer to connect to the internet and I just want to make sure there's no way anyone visiting can get on the internet with it and no one in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth range can connect to it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Talk About It All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: