Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

I need help with youtube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: I need help with youtube Reply with quote

Hi. Lately I have been havuing problems with youtube freezing and pausing on me. Whenever I go to watch a video the video will pause or freeze every several seconds. Confused It's very annoying Rolling Eyes and I really want to watch the videos. Please tell me what I can do to eliminate the problem. Thanks. Smile
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with youtube Reply with quote

leader2 wrote:
Hi. Lately I have been havuing problems with youtube freezing and pausing on me. Whenever I go to watch a video the video will pause or freeze every several seconds. Confused It's very annoying Rolling Eyes and I really want to watch the videos. Please tell me what I can do to eliminate the problem. Thanks. Smile

It would be considerably hard to give you any advice since you didn't give us any useful info regarding type and version of apps used. Try being a bit more forthcoming.

In addition to apps used, you should give a detailed account of your experience...like what happened and exactly where it happened(URLs etc). We don't even know if you're using a PC. Your query could be related to any of hundreds of platforms using apps on youtube

The proof is in the puddin...trash in, trash out. Ask a crappy question, get a crappy response.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds a bit terse.
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with youtube Reply with quote

mikey wrote:
leader2 wrote:

It would be considerably hard to give you any advice since you didn't give us any useful info regarding type and version of apps used. Try being a bit more forthcoming.

In addition to apps used, you should give a detailed account of your experience...like what happened and exactly where it happened(URLs etc). We don't even know if you're using a PC. Your query could be related to any of hundreds of platforms using apps on youtube

The proof is in the puddin...trash in, trash out. Ask a crappy question, get a crappy response.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds a bit terse.

Yes it sounds VERY terse actually. I'm not very technical so I may not know exactly what questions to ask or how to pose them. Please keep that in mind whenever you post. What is crappy to you who is technical is what is normal to me. Confused Mad Embarassed

Ok now I'm using a Hewlett Packard Pavillion 6140f PC. I'm trying to view the videos on Google Chrome 5.0.375.9 Beta & Firefox 3.6.2.

When I try to view the videos at first they play normally and then they pause and this circular thing pops up and flashes for a while going round and round. Then it disapears and the video plays normally. This goes on and on until the video completes.

Let me know if this is the info you were looking for. Sorry if it was still too crappy for you. Rolling Eyes
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of interent connection do you have? DSL, fiber, dial up?

It sounds like it could be a bandwidth or connection issue.

Also is this new or has YouTube always been like this?
Have you tried it with Internet Explorer?
Do you have a security program that scans web traffic?
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
What kind of interent connection do you have? DSL, fiber, dial up?

It sounds like it could be a bandwidth or connection issue.

Also is this new or has YouTube always been like this?
Have you tried it with Internet Explorer?
Do you have a security program that scans web traffic?

Thanks for your reply Suzi. Smile

I have a DSL connection

This isn't exactly new. I think it happened a few times in the past.

I tried it with Internet Explorer and the same problem popped up. If it helps any I tried to play a video today and it played fine. However when I played the second video it started to have that problem. If it makes any difference I was downloading something at the time I played the second vid, although I don't understand why that would cause that problem.

When you say security program do you mean a firewall or antivirus program? If so how do I check to see if it scans web traffic? I mean I have Windows firewall and AVG Antivirus. I don't know if they scan web traffic or not.

Thanks again Wink
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were downloading something at the same time as watching a video, it could slow things down as they are competing for bandwidth. I suspect that is the cause of the problem. Videos use a lot of bandwidth (data transfer) and they take up a lot of memory.

Picture a pipe or tube that is narrow and you try to put 2 different ropes though the pipe at the same time. if both ropes are thick and take up a lot of space, they are going to have a harder time going through the pipe than just one rope. Same with downloading a large file and watching a video on the internet at the same time.

Yes, I mean a security program like AV and firewall.
Read about AVG here:
http://free.avg.com/in-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

It's scanning when you visit websites to block any malware that might try to get in through exploits or if you try to download an infected file. It also has
Quote:
LinkScanner®
Ensures every web page you visit is safe - even before you go there

That means it is scanning web traffic which can also slow web browing and downloads.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did you get this resolved? Please let us know.
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Actually I'm still having problems on some of the videos. What else should I do?
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably not anything else you can do except not be downloading anything or have a lot of browser windows open when you watch a video. Unless you can get a faster internet connection or more RAM.

How much RAM in the computer?

Run one of the speed tests on this page and post the results. I would pick the one that is closest to you.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I have 8gb of ram and the test showed 71kb per second download speed and 196 kb upload speed.

Oh no and I forgot to mention it's not just youtube. It's other video sites that have the same problem. Like for instance I wanted to watch College, Inc. on Frontline at this link http://video.pbs.org/video/1485280975/ and it's doing the exact same thing! Mad Rolling Eyes Shocked

Please help me Suzi. Sad I really want to watch my videos. Crying or Very sad
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of internet connection do you have?

I ran the speed test from Suzi's link and the speed for my connection came back as 851 Kb/s - so in comparison your speed is much much slower (and also I was downloading two files when I did the test - so without that my speed would have been faster). It's also unusual that your upload speed is faster than your download speed.

If you do have a really slow connection then watching videos live will not be an option, and you may need to use one of the many programs available to download videos before you watch them.

Post back what sort of internet connection you have and I'll see what I can do to help you...
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leader2 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I have 8gb of ram and the test showed 71kb per second download speed and 196 kb upload speed.

Oh no and I forgot to mention it's not just youtube. It's other video sites that have the same problem. Like for instance I wanted to watch College, Inc. on Frontline at this link http://video.pbs.org/video/1485280975/ and it's doing the exact same thing! Mad Rolling Eyes Shocked

71 kb per second download is pretty slow for DSL. That's not much faster than a dial up modem. Were you doing anything else on the computer at the same time? You should run the speed test with no browsers open and no other internet connections going, no downloads or anything. You might try the speed test again and see if you get different results.

The only thing I can suggest is getting a faster internet connection if at all possible. And check out what Roger_m suggests.
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
What sort of internet connection do you have?

I ran the speed test from Suzi's link and the speed for my connection came back as 851 Kb/s - so in comparison your speed is much much slower (and also I was downloading two files when I did the test - so without that my speed would have been faster). It's also unusual that your upload speed is faster than your download speed.

If you do have a really slow connection then watching videos live will not be an option, and you may need to use one of the many programs available to download videos before you watch them.

Post back what sort of internet connection you have and I'll see what I can do to help you...

My connection was listed as 3.0 Mbps on DSL. I haven't had this problem every time. Just some times and especially lately.

suzi wrote:
leader2 wrote:

71 kb per second download is pretty slow for DSL. That's not much faster than a dial up modem. Were you doing anything else on the computer at the same time? You should run the speed test with no browsers open and no other internet connections going, no downloads or anything. You might try the speed test again and see if you get different results.

The only thing I can suggest is getting a faster internet connection if at all possible. And check out what Roger_m suggests.

I ran the test again and got 447 kbps download speed and 24 kbps upload speed, which is much faster, but I tried to watch another video and it had the same problem. Even though it says it's that speed I really doubt it because my pages and especially in Firefox don't load that fast. I have to wait a while and sometimes (and epecially in Google Chrome) have to refresh a few times because the page failed to load. And my dl speeds can be really slow. Yesterday morning I was getting speeds of like 14 kb, 25, 16, etc.

Arrgh! Mad This is really annoying and I really want to fix it. Thanks for your offer of help guys! Smile
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry my first post was offensive. It was one of those days when all my clients with probs seemed to have a prob relating their situation and getting them to give sufficient info was like pulling teeth. Sorry again.

Anyway, a decent broadband connection should look something like this;

There are so many things that can cause a slow down. Your wires could be faulty. Your personal firewall may be misconfigured. Your DNS client could have been manipulated by malware and a HJT scan might be in order. Just way too many things to list.

However, it is far more common and likely that your router is misconfigured or malfunctioning. Your provider should have diagnostics that they can use. Have you called them yet?

EDIT: BTW You might also consider using something like Miro regardless of your connection speed. http://www.getmiro.com/
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mikey. Smile Thanks for your apology. I understand and especially if you were having a bad day. Sorry for that and I hope my reply didn't offend you either. Cool

Thanks for your post. It sounds like my connection is lagging way behind. I've been have having problems with speed for close to a year now and I've indeed called them. At first they said it was the modem, then they said it was the distance of my home from their location and then they said it was the modem cord. I don't know what it is, but I know it is getting on my nerves. Mad I don't have a router, but a modem. Or are they the same thing? Do you think my modem is the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: