Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Advice for a new computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Advice for a new computer Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new computer as my old one for 6 years is out of comission and would require $200 to repair it. I found one with a reasonable price and storage, as we hardly put alot in our old one, but I wanted to know if it is as good given the one site that said 5 people gave 5/5 reviews (though I can't read them from the PS3 for some reason).

It is a eMachines - Desktop with AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor 2850e.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+Single-Core+Processor+2850e/9576835.p?id=1218127625554&skuId=9576835&st=eMachines%20-%20Desktop%20with%20AMD%20Athlon?%20Single-Core%20Processor%202850e&cp=1&lp=1
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a very quick look at the specs.

It comes with 3 gigs of RAM which is really good, and the hard drive is reasonable size.

The processor is probably not the fastest but should be all you need I would guess if you are not after a high end system.

The only issue I see is that is it has shard video memory - it is better to have a grahpics card with it's own seperate memory as this will make your computer run faster. Still, for the price you can't complain.

The reviews are all very posative, however one reviewer said it comes with a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

The 64 bit versions run faster than 32 bit version but there are some software compatability issues. (Which is why the vast majority of computers come with at 64 bit processor and a 32 bit version of Windows). You might want to check this.

I really can't comment on the eMachines brand as I have no experience with them.
Cryer
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now I've heard eMachines can crash numberously (though it may or may not have been an old model). Do you know any maker with no problem to even excellant desktops? I know there's HP but what is Compaq? Anyone else on eMachines?

EDIT
Here is the Compaq I'm looking at
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Desktop+with+AMD+Sempron%26%23153%3B+Processor/9542444.p?id=1218121946926&skuId=9542444
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compaq computers are made by HP. I wouldn't own either brand as these days they are mostly just a cheap brand.

If you're looking for a quality brand I highly recommend ASUS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: