Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

SP2 and Windows updates....do I really need them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: SP2 and Windows updates....do I really need them? Reply with quote

The obvious answer of course is yes, but I am beginning to think it is not necessary. My main computer has sp2 and all the updates are current includind the !#*!* Genuine Windows Validation Tool. Evil or Very Mad About 8 months ago I bought a used computer at a garage sale for $25.00, complete with monitor. Very Happy The owner said they bought a new one because this old one didn't run right anymore. Confused I snatched it up and when I got home I installed a fresh copy of Windows Home Edition in it. Since I only had $25.00 invested, I decided I would use it as my test pc, and the first thing I did was turn off the Windows Updates. I then installed Kaspersky Internet Security, Ewido anti-malware, A2, AdAware, SpyBot, and Webroots SpySweeper. It has been 8 months now with no popups, no spyware, (other than a few tracking cookies) no hijackers, and no viruses. Even though this test pc has a slower processor and only 256 MB of ram, it bootsup faster, shuts down faster, and surfs the web faster than my main computer. I am guessing it's because I don't have sp2 and all those "hot fixes" patches, and blaster tools cluttering up my hard drive. So, again I ask: Is SP2 and all the updates neccasary....or have I just been extremely lucky? Confused
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To goldengreek,

I suspect your fast boot up and shut down times are more due to a lack of other installed programs rather than a lack of sp2 and other windows updates.

Any programs that are on your start up list and that make your PC useful all extract that load up and shut down tax you pay in extra time each time you bootup and shut down---things like word processors, AV, spyware programs, and virtally every program on your PC slows your boot up time down---and because your main PC probably has many more times more programs--its slower loading even with a faster processor. Plus the PC must read the resistry which gets ever more bloated with each program you load.---you can get various free and shareware programs to prevent programs from loading at startup---I use startcop--from back when PC mag gave those utilities away free.--or you can do it manually.

But one way to answer your own question occurs to me--record your boot and shut down time--then load sp2 and all the windows updates--and see how much more time the boot up shut down is.
If you find it objectional--do a format C:---and reinstall everything to where it was before.

But I doubt the windows updates will add much more time to boot up and shut down.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Osage, thanks for the reply. You are correct in assuming that I have many more programs on my main pc than I do on my test pc. That normally would effect my start up and shut down speed. However on both computers I only have two items in my startup, my firewall and my virus protection-nothing else. My main question,though, is my computer safe,( with the protection I mentioned I have installed) without Service Pack 2 and all those hot fixes and patches? Confused
JRosenfeld
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are less safe without SP2 and subsequent security updates.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what I heard, JRosenfeld, but I don't think anything harmfull can get by the combo of Kaspersky and Ewido Wink
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this to me is an interesting post, since it wants to ask what the odds genuinely are that the vulnerabilities that are patched by the various updates will ever come into play -- that is be exploited.

it really is a statistical matter, for my guess is that M$'s patching efforts are based upon a "worst-case" analysis of the presence of exploits, since there is no real way to actually guage whether computer X will ever be affected by vulnerability Y.

we can quote the oft-repeated rhetoric, which has its outstanding element(s) of truth, just as a general case (along with plenty of CYA), but I think the fact is that no one has ever run an actual analysis.

If the computer is never connected to a network, there is no reason to believe that the original install of XP (in whatever flavour) will succumb to vulnerabilities, simply because it will never be challenged in this manner.

The problem comes when computers are connected together, and changes the scenario drastically. However, one can only cite what basically amounts to one's opinion to back up any assertions made becasue the matter has not been thoroughly investigated, and the reason for this is that it would be almost impossible to do so: there are too many variables involved, and even if one could get a handle on this, interpreting the results in a precise manner might just be futile. However, we being human (at least some of us) we have the advantage of insight and foresight that a mathematical analysis never will have, so we simply say "make sure you are up to date with your patches..." for it is still the first line of defence along with all the others.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. hornet777, you put in print what I have been thinking all along. Just to put the record straight, I am not one who thinks "big brother" is spying on me with all those updates, but then again, I try to stay away from some Microsoft products. I wouldn't use IE Twisted Evil if you paid me, I use Opera for my browser, Eudora instead of Outlook for my e-mail client, Ashampoo Office 2005 for my personal needs, and VLC instead of WMP for my media player. 99 percent of all spyware comes from Internet explorer and other Microsoft products- in my opinon, anyway. Wink
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stay safe without service pack 2, but for most people, they don't have half of what you have set up goldengeek. Most people will have an antivirus and maybe something like Ad Aware to scan with when things start acting funny. Just using a few proactive tools like SpywareBlaster and IE Spyad will cut out alot of trouble before it can even start.

Unfortunately, most people won't do that because sooner or later, they will go to a site and something won't work like it used to. They think it worked before adding protection, so they'll get rid of the protection to make things work again.

Even worse, there are a few exploits that will go through any defense you have if Windows hasn't been patched for it. Last January's WMF exploit only needed a picture to be viewed to get your computer taken over.

By October of this year, service pack 1 won't be supported anymore, so you will have to get SP2 or get no updates. So the decision will be made for you by the end of the year.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick. That I didn't know. Shocked Guess my experiment will be over, come October. I appreciate everyone's input. Feel free to lock 'er up, I can't think of anything else I want to add. Very Happy
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from first hand experience there are a LOT of websites pushing malware that target users without SP2.

Just the WMF exploit alone is enought to make me say you *should* get SP2. There are still a lot of sites running that exploit, and there are malware pushers hacking normal websites and injecting iframe links to sites that download malware, typically the WMF exploit, javascript exploits or the CreateTextRange() exploit, or in some cases all three.

Your antivirus/anti-spyware will NEVER protect you completely from malware because there is always a new crop popping up. Anything that relies on definitions will always be playing catch up because there is always new malware. Your firewall helps, but is not foolproof either. I've seen plenty of malware bypass the firewall.

Case in point:

This keylogger was able to bypass firewalls while it was recording keystrokes and posting them to a remote server, unknown to the users who were infected with it, and had their bank accounts emptied or their ID's stolen.

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/keylogger-from-hell.html

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/Advisory.cfm

A lot of the victims had AV and firewalls installed.

Also recently the Circuit City forum was hacked and anyone visiting there without a patched machine was infected with a nasty trojan.

See write up here:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/06/circuit_city_support_site_serv.html

Who would have thought that going to a major company's forum would get them infected with malware?

I do malware research on a virtual machine running XP Pro, unpatched, and I can tell you from personal experience, it's nasty out there. I have some videos showing what happens when you visit sites running these exploits if you don't believe me.

It's my personal opinion that NOT keeping your operating system patched, whether you run Windows, use a Mac, or run Linux (they have vulnerabilities, too) is just plain foolish.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll keep this thread open because it's a good topic for discussion. We don't typically lock them anyway.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To goldengreek,

Should you decide to install sp2 and the latest patches---it would be most informative if you could post exactly how much extra time it takes to boot up and shut down.

Maybe somewhat arrogant on my part given all the time it could take you to revert back to your original configuration if you decide you don't like it. But looks like you may have to do it anyway--as many posters are saying you may be in grave danger if (a) You spend any time on the internet (B) Or if you are connected in a network with another machine---any infection you are not immune to on this unpatched computer could get another machine on your network because their better shields may be pointed in a different direction.

But your present safety may be an illusion--you just have not stepped on the secret square YET.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now you guys are starting to scare me me a little. Shocked But, like I said in the first place, I only have $25.00 invested in this PC. It is an older Dell Pentium 4. I have anything important saved to disk, do no banking or credit card transactions on it and have reformatting down to a fine art. I can uninstall Windows and be back be back on line in 17 minutes on my good computer. What always took all the time was all those updates! I imagine the Dell would take the same time, but without the updates. What has me concerned now, is both pcs are connected to the same router off of my broadband cable modem. suzi, are you saying that someone can go through my test pc and get to my good pc, since they are both connected to the same router?
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Osage, to answer your question, when I first installed sp2 on my main pc it took exactly 4 seconds longer to shut down and 6 seconds longer to startup. This was a test I did two years ago. At that time I also had to uninstall and reinstall sp2 because it blocked my internet connection and I couldn't get back on line after I had installed it.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that can happen with an infected machine -- it it can become part of a bot net and be used for DDoS attacks on other computers or websites, spread malware/adware, and it can be used for massive spamming. Those things can cause a user to get cut off by their ISP.

Having a firewall would likely prevent those those things, if you have outbound protection (which the XP firewall does not have), as long as you are monitoring the outbound traffic.

Having your machine infected with a backdoor gives the attacker complete access and control of your machine. I had my test vm turned into an IRC server once. It was weird to think that it was being used by dozens of other people. I could see the transmissions in the packet log -- transmitting my IP address, machine configuration, etc. Very spooky.

Keeping your computer clean and free of malware not only protects you, but it helps keep the internet safer and better for others as well.

Quote:
suzi, are you saying that someone can go through my test pc and get to my good pc, since they are both connected to the same router?

I didn't notice your question at first. Yes, there is plenty of malware that can spread through networked machines. Blender here, one of our admins and experts had 4 networked machines infected so badly, they all had to be flattened and reinstalled.

Read this description of the SDBot worms:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100454.htm

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sdbot_mb.shtml

Rbot is another one -- super bad:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotgr.html

Quote:
W32/Rbot-GR is capable of spreading to computers on the local network protected by weak passwords after receiving the appropriate backdoor command.

Are your machine password protected?

Btw, we get people here in the forum infected with these things on a regular basis. Even worse, now some of them are using rootkits to hide from Windows, so there's no way to tell they are present, unless you use something like Rootkit Revealer or Backlight. If you read the HijackThis logs threads, you'll see the helpers recommending those all the time.
blender
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldengreek

Hi

I am the one Suzi spoke of about the network issue.

I do alot of malware testing on VM machine and "live test boxes"
Most of my test boxes have the basic protection installed..
Firewall, AV, about 1/2 way through M$ patches.
Have a decent router.
I set up the router to block port 25 on the test boxes so I can't send spam mails when I get infected. I try to block other ports as needed for the test boxes so I am not performing DDoS attacks or other damaging attacks anywhere on intermet.

I had Acronis True Image (TI) installed so I could re-image the machine after test if needed. TI if set up the way I had it creates a hidden partition to store the image. Nothing is supposed to be able to penetrate that image cept TI.

I decided to run this unknown file (suspected to be a bagel varient) because there was a user that had this thing and couldn't remove a couple dll files. No matter what they were always in use and could not be deleted.
I thought I would try & figure out a removal method.

Made sure the other boxes firewalls were set up to not allow any communication between my good boxes and infected one.
Shut off AV on test box to run file because the basic bagel was detected.
I keep no personal info on those boxes.

I ran this file after taking a system snapshot so I could get reading of all the changes. (hopefully making it easier to dertermine what needs to be done to remove it)

When I ran this file my firewall asked for permission for that program access to internet.
I let it out.
It contacted "mother ship" and picked up a backdoor file as it was instructed to do and installed it. This backdoor also was a keylogger.

Box is no longer mine.

At this point...(activity seems pretty much finished)
I take another snapshot to compare both for results.

A little while later....
That backdoor file in turn called "mother ship" (permission granted by fiewall) and picked up a varient of Sality virus. (a PE infector)
This I didn't know.

I proceed to try & remove files dropped according to my snapshot log results. (which did not include Sality infection)

Wiped the files out known files with a delete on reboot tool and thought I was in the clear. Ran AV -- clear report.

This is where the real trouble started...
That sucker walked thru the firewalls on all the other PCs connected.
Unknown to me yet this happened.
No firewall alerts. Since it was a new nastie no AV alerts either.

On known infected machine all my apps start asking for internet access. Notepad? Regedit? wordpad? Everyone wanted the same IP...I think I wore out the deny button.

Ok....so now I know something really serious is going on...I have a true virus.
Because of this...those 2 dll files that were so troublesome kept returning.
Each & every exe file was infected one by one (as they were run by me or the OS itself)

Great...
No AV company had the cure yet so I was gonna have to use my stored Image file to revert to pre-infection state.
It too was infected. TI itself and the image file.

In near panic now I disconnect the other PCs
Too late.

I ended up wiping out each one save a few documents I had not backed up yet.
Lots of lost time and data.
Off to change my passwords to 20 or so sites I belong to and my banking & CC info cus my good box was taken over too.

Exactly how the infection spread to the other PCs I was unable to determine because I had access to nothing on the other PCs.
I was not even allowed to run notepad. Shocked

Had that file I origionally ran come in on my good fully patched box (email) I would likely not even have had access to it because of the paatching on it.

I don't notice enough difference between boot-time on this box with sp2 and before I installed it. I keep unnecessary startups to a minumum, keep the box clean, do my regular mtce. The possible added few seconds due to sp2 is not an issue with me.

I can say that the sp2 has saved my butt many times when I go to newer nasty sites while I am hacking hijackthis logs. Normally I open suspect links in FF or Opera but there are times I forget.

Suprise ActiveX controls blocked and so on blocked by sp2. (AKA Whew!)
I realize alot of people use other browsers to avoid the crap but junk can get in just because IE is installed and is part of the OS itself. Some componets that run the OS also run IE.
IE is still my favorite browser no matter what. Many people use it still.
Once pre-sp2 support ends...what if you just need a patch for hardware driver issue that M$ fixed? Where are ya then? (unsupported)

Anyway...thats my story. First time in 3 years of malware testing I loose total control af a real baddie. As careful as I am...it happens.

Grab that sp2 and the rest of the patches. It will only take ya a few days to get used to the sp2 changes. I thought I would hate it too but actually I like it.

Best,

Blender

If we have helped you please consider a donation Thank You
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, suzi. To answer your question, yes, both pc's are password protected. I also run f-secure Backlight daily. I am also trying out a new one, RegRun Security Suite Platinum 4.6 by Greatis Software. It is similar to HijackThis, but has more features.
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, blender and susi. Updates are turned on my test pc as I speak. SP2 should be downloading after I do all pc restarts Evil or Very Mad Wish I didn't have to restart after every other update. Should be current in about another half hour ,or so.
Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting read. Smile

Which OS was this about? SP2 for XP or Vista?

I was considering updating to XP SP2. I think I'll do it... Rolling Eyes
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the thread is from 2006, it's safe to say it was about XP.

SP3 has been out for XP for ages now, so you should've been updated to SP3 ages ago, let alone SP2 (which came out years ago!)

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, who dug this up? I forgot I even posted this thread. What a dufus I was 3 years ago Smile Actually I run mostly Linux,(Ubuntu) now.
Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysteryFCM wrote:
Given the thread is from 2006, it's safe to say it was about XP.

SP3 has been out for XP for ages now, so you should've been updated to SP3 ages ago, let alone SP2 (which came out years ago!)

What?! This thread is three years and three months old. Shocked
I did actually see the date and I thought the thread was only three months old. I could swear it said 2009! I must have read the 6 as a 9.

I searched info on a virus and this thread came up in the search results. But I'm happy I found this thread. Smile
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe no problem Smile

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the risk of installing XP SP2 (and perhaps SP3)? What is the worst that can happen?

I know that some users experienced problems, but I'm unsure of what sort of problems.

I have saved my most important files on external devices, but if I risk wrecking my system by installing a service pack, then I'm not ready to install one.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed SP2 and SP3 on hundreds of machines, and only had a problem with one of them, and a reboot sorted it out.

The problems people had when they first came out, have since been fixed by Microsoft, so there shouldn't be any issues when installing the SP's anymore.

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
Viking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysteryFCM wrote:
I've installed SP2 and SP3 on hundreds of machines, and only had a problem with one of them, and a reboot sorted it out.

The problems people had when they first came out, have since been fixed by Microsoft, so there shouldn't be any issues when installing the SP's anymore.

Thank you.

It may take two hours or more to install SP2?
(I won't update to SP3 in one go, I'll use SP2 for a while first.)

Service packs are large. I have installed SP1 several times, and the installing took an awful long time. I had to leave the PC alone for about one and a half hours.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation of SP2 took approx 30-45 mins, depending on the machines specs, with SP3 taking 45-60 mins (again, depending on the machines specs).

You'd need to go to SP2 before SP3 anyway as SP3 won't install without SP2. I'd still strongly urge you to install SP3 as soon as SP2 is installed, specifically due to the security updates.

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: