Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Foxit Reader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webcapri
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Foxit Reader Reply with quote

I went ahead and downloaded the lastest version of foxit 3.0. Download and install went fine, install for all users but for some reason under every users account when trying to open foxit or a pdf it will not open without the administrator password which make no sense at all. Been using foxit for years, please help do not want to go back to adobe (yuck). So what or how do i install this so every users can use this program without administrator permission. Any help would be so helpful.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running Vista?
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free Foxit products now install spyware by default.

Instead of using a product that has sold out their users for a few pennies, perhaps you might try a very fast and truely free (open source) reader; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
Webcapri
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have vista. I check out Sumatra but it only works with 2000 and xp.
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumatra:

System requirements

SumatraPDF requires Windows 2000 or newer (XP, Vista). Windows 95, 98 and ME are not supported.

According to the download page.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does it work with Vista, it also works as a portable app (from CD, DVD, thumb drive, etc.)

As with all Vista installations, it should probably be installed from admin.

-
Webcapri
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay (life happens) install SumatraPDF with no issues, i'm sold, thanks for everyone help. I was wondering, if or when, Sumatra wants to get some extra pennies, which one would be next in line, i see there're a lot of new PDF out now. Thank again.
MichaelSF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:

Instead of using a product that has sold out their users for a few pennies, perhaps you might try a very fast and truly free (open source) reader; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

I used to use Foxit back when it was a simple program and a great alternative to Adobe.

Early last year I installed Foxit Reader on one of my new notebooks, but I was not paying attention.

Later I noticed that by default it had installed what they call the Foxit Toolbar. It looked like it installed spyware because the toolbar had a search feature that led people to sites who had paid Foxit for links and also a "recommended sites" or something like that.

I was really annoyed, but the worst was to come.

When I went to uninstall the Foxit Toolbar (as one is usually able to do with the Yahoo and Google toolbars) I noted there was not an "Uninstall Foxit Toolbar" in any of my uninstaller programs. That really frosted me.

And when I said to myself "fine, I will uninstall Foxit" and did that, IT STILL DID NOT GET RID OF THE FOXIT TOOLBAR. Confused Mad Exclamation

When I sold the notebook to a friend that got rid of the Foxit Toolbar because I did a low level format and reinstalled Windows XP. Wink Very Happy

So in my opinion Foxit did go to the dark side. Shame on them.

Sidenote: I don't like that when installing software that companies are setting the default (usually with a checkbox) to install the toolbars (Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Foxit, to name a few).

There should be a law that these spyware, junkware, bloatware add-ons should be set to NOT install by default. In other words, one has to check the box to install them.

One weekend I had to repair a friend's notebook that she said had slowed to a crawl when on the Net. Also, some pages crashed, timed out, or would not load.

On checking her browser I saw she had three toolbars installed and all of them were running their pop-up blockers, etc. After I got rid of them her surfing was 10x quicker.

end rant.
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I installed Foxit Reader on one of my new notebooks, but I was not paying attention.

Always, always pay attention when installing any software! Wink

Default installers thread here:

http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=30410

If you know of any others not already listed MichaelSF, please post them up there. An awful lot of 'freeware' now comes bundled with this crap.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:

Instead of using a product that has sold out their users for a few pennies, perhaps you might try a very fast and truely free (open source) reader; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

Sorry, I should have posted an update about this months ago.

FoxitPDF Spyware Replacement
Quote:

Hey folk,

As many of you probably know, the Foxit PDF reader default installs the proven spyware ASK toolbar. As a protest, most folk involved in the pri-sec communities recommend a boycott of all apps that default install the POS. Many of us are lobbying to have the ASK toolbar and similar garbage targeted by all reputable anti-malware tools...many already do.

The good thing, as is the case with most nasty apps, is that there is a (better IMO) choice. PDFXfree; http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

I find it just as fast and with all the features I got accustomed to in the product that sold out it's users for a little chump change. There's even a portable version.

Some good info about the ASK toolbar here; http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16253

Screeshot; http://goinggreek.info/forum/uploads/1251509552/gallery_40_3_85746.jpg

-
Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelSF wrote:
mikey wrote:

Instead of using a product that has sold out their users for a few pennies, perhaps you might try a very fast and truly free (open source) reader; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

I used to use Foxit back when it was a simple program and a great alternative to Adobe.

Early last year I installed Foxit Reader on one of my new notebooks, but I was not paying attention.

Later I noticed that by default it had installed what they call the Foxit Toolbar. It looked like it installed spyware because the toolbar had a search feature that led people to sites who had paid Foxit for links and also a "recommended sites" or something like that.

I was really annoyed, but the worst was to come.

When I went to uninstall the Foxit Toolbar (as one is usually able to do with the Yahoo and Google toolbars) I noted there was not an "Uninstall Foxit Toolbar" in any of my uninstaller programs. That really frosted me.

And when I said to myself "fine, I will uninstall Foxit" and did that, IT STILL DID NOT GET RID OF THE FOXIT TOOLBAR. Confused Mad Exclamation

When I sold the notebook to a friend that got rid of the Foxit Toolbar because I did a low level format and reinstalled Windows XP. Wink Very Happy

So in my opinion Foxit did go to the dark side. Shame on them.

Early January this year I uninstalled Adobe bloatware Reader, and installed Foxit Reader 3.0 (build 1301) (downloaded from their site foxitsoftware.com).
I didn't get any toolbars. Perhaps a toolbar was bundled and I opted to not install it, I don't remember. Anyhow, no toolbar was installed.

Foxit is a bit messy (too many buttons), but it uses very little resources compared to Adobe's dinosaur.

The only real problem I've had with Foxit, is that I never succeeded with updating it. The update window finds three patches, but when I select them, the "Add" button remains faded out, it won't work. I can't download the updates. Confused

This was my only issue with Foxit. So I was quite shocked to find this topic.
Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:
mikey wrote:

Sorry, I should have posted an update about this months ago.

FoxitPDF Spyware Replacement
Quote:

Hey folk,

As many of you probably know, the Foxit PDF reader default installs the proven spyware ASK toolbar. As a protest, most folk involved in the pri-sec communities recommend a boycott of all apps that default install the POS. Many of us are lobbying to have the ASK toolbar and similar garbage targeted by all reputable anti-malware tools...many already do.

The good thing, as is the case with most nasty apps, is that there is a (better IMO) choice. PDFXfree; http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

I find it just as fast and with all the features I got accustomed to in the product that sold out it's users for a little chump change. There's even a portable version.

Some good info about the ASK toolbar here; http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16253

Screeshot; http://goinggreek.info/forum/uploads/1251509552/gallery_40_3_85746.jpg

After reading all this, I might replace Foxit although it gave me no toolbars.
But how do I choose one of these two (Sumatra and PDF-X) without testing them? Have anyone of you guys tried both?

EDIT
That screenshot in your last link, what is it? It says TOP SECRET and that's all I understand. Confused
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have anyone of you guys tried both?

Yes, they are both excellent. If you want lots of features PDF-X is the one for you. If you want a tiny reader like foxit used to be Sumatra is the one to go for. Wink
Viking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

Foxit had more than enough functions for me. Sounds as Sumatra is the one I should try. (Sumatra - strange name for a program! It's an island in Indonesia.)

Edit,
It could also be that I'll continue to use Foxit for a while. I see no trace of the infamous toolbar. But maybe it's unsafe because I can't download the updates.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey folk,

Quote:
That screenshot in your last link, what is it? It says TOP SECRET and that's all I understand. Confused

I'm sorry, I just assumed that, since the post was about PDF-X and the top of the pic clearly shows the app's name, folks would just understand that the pic was of it in use. I'll try to be more specific in the future.

The 'TOP SECRET' is just an example of the available 'stamps' in PDF-X. Like the 'stamps', PDF-X has all the features I used to use in the Foxit product and perhaps more. Personally, I prefer the layout better in PDF-X.

As to which to use; Personally, I need a tool like PDF-X that lets me edit and fill in forms and such. However, I also use Sumatra on one of my thumb drive tool archives since it is quite portable and quite small. So, to me, it isn't a question of which but instead a question of where.

HTH

-
Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:

I'm sorry, I just assumed that, since the post was about PDF-X and the top of the pic clearly shows the app's name, folks would just understand that the pic was of it in use. I'll try to be more specific in the future.

The 'TOP SECRET' is just an example of the available 'stamps' in PDF-X. Like the 'stamps', PDF-X has all the features I used to use in the Foxit product and perhaps more. Personally, I prefer the layout better in PDF-X.

As to which to use; Personally, I need a tool like PDF-X that lets me edit and fill in forms and such. However, I also use Sumatra on one of my thumb drive tool archives since it is quite portable and quite small. So, to me, it isn't a question of which but instead a question of where.

HTH

Well, thank you. I was literally only half awake when I asked about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: