Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Does a mac suffer for Viruses, spyware or trojans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groze

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Does a mac suffer for Viruses, spyware or trojans? Reply with quote

Does a mac suffer for viruses, spyware or trojans? I was thinking of getting a minimac down the road.

Thank you for this information.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do but because not so many people use Macs there much fewer viruses and other malware for Macs than for Windows based systems.

May I ask why you are considering buying a Mac? Personally I think that Windows is vastly superior to the Mac's OS X operating system.
groze

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
They do but because not so many people use Macs there much fewer viruses and other malware for Macs than for Windows based systems.

May I ask why you are considering buying a Mac? Personally I think that Windows is vastly superior to the Mac's OS X operating system.

Even Vista? I heard so many bad things about Vista. One part of the drive is hidden and can not be scanned by a protection program.

The main reason for the minimac, people claim the fan on Minimac is real quit. I can not stand loud fans.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I detest MAC's, but that's mainly due to the price and the fanboys, than anything else (the OS itself is no harder to use than Linux).

Quote:
Even Vista? I heard so many bad things about Vista. One part of the drive is hidden and can not be scanned by a protection program.

Are you asking if Vista is superior to MAC's, or if there's more malware for it?

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some malware for Macs, but not much yet. Mac malware has been designed to trick users into downloading it, for example fake codes that are really malware installers. Also there was a pirated version of a Mac program, iWork, that included something extra... a trojan/backdoor, being distributed by torrents. A botnet of Macs was actually created by the malware.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/mac-trojan-variant-now-riding-along-with-pirated-photoshop.ars

There is plenty of malware that will install on Vista. We get HijackThis logs posted by infected Vista users regularly.

Whether or not you like Macs is a personal preference.
groze

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysteryFCM wrote:
Personally I detest MAC's, but that's mainly due to the price and the fanboys, than anything else (the OS itself is no harder to use than Linux).

Are you asking if Vista is superior to MAC's, or if there's more malware for it?

No.

I was responding to roger_m question

May I ask why you are considering buying a Mac? Personally I think that Windows is vastly superior to the Mac's OS X operating system

I should of been more specific. Vista I read bad things about it. I also read the virus protection or spyware protection programs could not read a hidden part of the drive used for DRM. Only Microsoft and others could read and write to that part of the drive. That would be a good place for viruses, spyware, and adaware to hide.

Also, I read the computer shops and techs do not like Vista either.

I would get a pc with xp but it is also going to be ending support for that operating system soon.

My main reason for getting a minimac is because the fan is suppose to be real quit from what I was told.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groze wrote:
I also read the virus protection or spyware protection programs could not read a hidden part of the drive used for DRM. Only Microsoft and others could read and write to that part of the drive. That would be a good place for viruses, spyware, and adaware to hide.

groze, you can't believe everything you read, I have never heard of this before, and I far as I know if simply not true.

groze wrote:
Also, I read the computer shops and techs do not like Vista either.

That's a generalisation, however is fair to say that there are a lot of people who prefer XP to Vista. On the other hand the successor to Vista, Windows 7 has been released as a test version, and has been very well received (and it fixes many of the things people dislike about Vista) and the final version may be released later this year.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first sentence above I meant to write "I have never heard of this before, and I far as I know it is simply not true"
groze

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
In the first sentence above I meant to write "I have never heard of this before, and I far as I know it is simply not true"

That is not the main reason, I was thinking going to a minimac.

The main reason is people that have the minimac say the fan is a quieter than the pc fan. I hate noisy fans.

People talk about drm folder be hidden in Vista. So, you are saying if there is a virus or spyware program in that folder you can delete it. I don't have Vista.
MysteryFCM
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC fans can be just as quiet as MAC fans .....

The only "hidden" DRM folder is at;

drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM

This has the Hidden + System attribute attached to it. However, this does not prevent security applications scanning it, and if you untick the "Hide Protected Operating System files (recommended)" and tick "Show hidden files and folders", you can view it's contents yourself. You can find these under the folder options;

1. Click the Start Button and type: userinit.exe in the search box
2. Click Organize
3. Click Folder and Search Options.
4. Click the View tab.
5. Click Advanced Settings.

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because other posters have already touched on it, its hardly an unique insight, but if you look at it from the "bad guys" perspective,
writing malware for windows is ever so more productive than writing malware for macs. Or Linux. Or any other fairly uncommon OS.

If times change and the Mac OS becomes more popular, more malware targeting that OS will almost certainly follow.
groze

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osage wrote:
Because other posters have already touched on it, its hardly an unique insight, but if you look at it from the "bad guys" perspective,
writing malware for windows is ever so more productive than writing malware for macs. Or Linux. Or any other fairly uncommon OS.

If times change and the Mac OS becomes more popular, more malware targeting that OS will almost certainly follow.

I am surprised Mac is not fined for incorrect statement on their commercials.

They claim macs do not suffer from viruses or crashes.

Mac didn't even have a disclaimer.

On one commercial the even said they didn't need a disclaimer.
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there is any OS that doesn't crash occasionally. Mac users I know seem to have problems at least as much as the rest of us.

Mac's antivirus advice reported on here (from Dec.2008):
http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212201455&subSection=News
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groze wrote:
Osage wrote:

I am surprised Mac is not fined for incorrect statement on their commercials.

They claim macs do not suffer from viruses or crashes.

Mac didn't even have a disclaimer.

On one commercial the even said they didn't need a disclaimer.

I read an article recently that Apple was recommending having an antivirus for Macs. If I can find the article again, I'll post the link.
groze

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and Gals. I know better then just to listen to a commercial. What ticks me off, is apple may have violated the advertising rule used during that commercial. They shouldn't get away with stuff like that if it is true.

Suzi,
I believe you. No need to find the article.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groze wrote:
My main reason for getting a minimac is because the fan is suppose to be real quit from what I was told.

Hardly a compelling reason to buy a Mac. You can be a PC with a quiet fan as well.
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside any biases and fanboyisms, there are many reasons why you would want to get a Mac Mini or another Mac. I run them both and each has it's merits and disadvantages. I prefer the Mac ultimately and don't use Windows anywhere near as much as I used to.

As you have said, Macs are quiet, with no noticeable fan noise unless you are pushing the system at 100% for an extended time. The OS maintains itself better than Windows. There's no registry to get corrupted, you don't have to defrag the hard drive, temp files will be deleted without you having to manually clean them up, and all those other things you you need to do to keep Windows running smoothly. It still feels weird to not have to do all that.

Like any operating system, Mac OS can and does have malware, exploits and vulnerabilities. Unlike Windows, the number of malware that affect OS X is small. All of them require the user to approve the installation. Any change to the system software is protected until you allow it. If you are familiar with Unix or Linux, this is a root user prompt. Most programs don't need approval. They don't need root access and that means they don't change anything in the system software. You just drag it to the application folder and that's it. To uninstall, drag it to the trash and that's it. There are some programs that need it. Microsoft Office is one. Another is VMWare Fusion, which lets you use Windows on a Mac. In order to run Windows, it needs access to the mouse, keyboard, monitor and other drivers so you can use them in Windows. Vista has a prompt as well, but most people think it happens too much and turn it off. Once you turn it off, you don't have the extra protection and malware can do what it wants to without letting you know. When you get it on OS X, it is important.

From my experience, and I do have extensive experience in malware, viruses and trojans are a non-issue on a Mac. Much like the Firefox evangelists point out, there is some security through obscurity. Somehow it's a good thing when Firefox uses this point but it's a bad thing when mentioning a Mac.Of course you don't want to reply on just this, but it certainly doesn't hurt. These days, the bad guys want to take your computer over to use it for whatever they want to use it with. Why bother with a system that is less than 10% of all computers. There's millions of XP users to get and you might get some Vista users that have turned off the security. most of the bad guys know Windows. Why learn OS X when you get a low return on investment? This coupled with the way OS X works, effectively means you don't need to worry about malware.

If you want an antivirus, you can get one. Besides the paid ones like Norton, you can use Clam AV which is free.

The DRM stuff mentioned is mostly to appease Hollywood and the RIAA. Since OS X isn't as widespread, it doesn't have all the extra amounts that Vista does. OS X also has the root user as mentioned before. Root sees everything, so you can look and do whatever it wants to. Of course, this means you can mess things up to, so be sue you know what you are doing before deleting anything.

Can you get a PC as quiet as the Mac Mini? Sure, but it's going to be alot bigger and more expensive.

As far as the TV commercials, what do you expect? They are commercials. The new Microsoft ones have the same thing. One has the person complaining that a MacBook comes with 2 GB of RAM, but they end up buying a HP junker that comes with... 2 GB of RAM. One has a desire to do video editing. I think they meant upload a clip to Youtube, since the specs on the laptop they got was pretty shaky for video editing. Also, they tens o give vague system specs when comparing. The PC has a bigger screen, it's a 15 inch one instead of a 13 inch one. Well, that 15 inch PC has a lower screen resolution than the 13 " MacBook. They're TV commercials meant for people who don't go to sites like this. the lawyers on both sides have vetted them also.

Oh, that article mentioned about Apple suggesting to use an antivirus program is an old one from the 90's that has been modified to use the new numbering system for Apple's knowledge base articles. That update pushed it to the top of the RSS feeds and that gave it the attention it and everyone assumed it was new.
groze

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you have said, Macs are quiet, with no noticeable fan noise unless you are pushing the system at 100% for an extended time

Nick,

When does the high fan mode kick in on Mac vs a PC?

I will most likely have to go with Vista or Windows 7 for work reasons. I just hate the noisy fans. If I force the fan(S) into low speed that could burn up the mainboard.

That apple article was deleted, at least according to Cnet.
[url]http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10111958-83.html [/url]
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan mode will kick in when a certain temperature has been reached, that will vary depending upon the workload the processor is under, the ambient temperature, the particular model of computer you buy and how effective its cooling system is, how well ventilated the area you use it in is, and even how often you whip the case off to blow the dust out of the internals.

You could have a Windows-based computer made for you with good quality parts and a good airflow capacity, for the same or probably less than an equivalent Mac will cost.
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've had my fans get loud enough to hear is on my MacBook, when I was converting video. Even then it's not often and not that loud. My iMac has fans, but I've never heard them.

I wouldn't let noise be the main reason to buy a Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: